PDA

View Full Version : BUILDING ARMATURE trouble with constraints LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Plafstarlight
05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
It has been slow going on my end.

(I am working in Blender 2.44 if that helps for answering questions)
I am trying to learn 3d and put together a complex rigg at the same time.
My biggest dilema is understanding how the inverse kinematics work. In my search for figuring this out I have come across alot of math while trying to find a more theoretical explanation. I have also tried trial and error seeing what happens when applied oppose to not applied this has helped a little. What I have learned so far, correct me if wrong, That Action contraints and IK solvers work better when both used (not on same bone but in same chain?) But when putting other contraints on I am unable to really figure out what is going on. First issue is I may not be applying them correctly.
The constraint is the bone the function is added to and the target is what it follows/moves towards? The target is set by typing the name of the bone in the OB: box? The red box that says 'const' i cant get any type to actually stay in that box, do i not need anything there?

Since this is my first time setting up a model alot had to be thought about such as how we as individuals actually move. Each bones have DoF , and I saw a toggle botton that applies to degrees of freedom but how do you set this? 'Stride Foot'<-- i dont get this.
Anything would help concerning the heirarchy of parenting would help. The short pyramidal end is "child'd" and the long pyramidal end is a parent of another bone? <-- am i thinking to far into it? because if im understanding this correctly this is what helps you from making a 2 bone ik chain that parent child's itself?
To help myself learn, because i can only read so much of the manual. I tried reverse engineering a model I found online. This model is no longer available to download but it had a picture of the model and what type of constraints are used. It atleast gave me somewhere to start from.
www.freewebs.com/appollux/rigging-set-up.html (http://www.freewebs.com/appollux/rigging-set-up.html)
just doesnt say what it used where.
Ok i think that was intense enough for now.
Thank you for listenting and any information you have regarding what you think may help is MUCH ANTICIPATED!

fktt
05-22-2008, 06:28 PM
have you checked out the ManCandy FAQ?

It's a freely distributable Video Training Module/Kit("VTM)" by Bassam Kurdali (http://freefactory.org/)

And you can see all the videos streaming on blip.tv _here (http://blendergroupie.blip.tv/#729604)_
or you may try to download the DVD Contents via torrent by the .torrent file found _here (http://www.mininova.org/tor/1190981)_

and sorry, but i didn't quite read through the whole post of yours,
my eyes started kind of hurting a little while in the middle of it all. :sad:

Plafstarlight
05-22-2008, 07:58 PM
yeah i know i tend to ramble :p thank you that was a helpful site. I had actually found the ManCandy but i came across it somewhere where it wasnt free so my brain just kinda passed over it.

Yecire
05-23-2008, 01:50 AM
I am working in Blender 2.44 if that helps for answering questions

You should try using 2.46 . . . it's got new and improved features, some of which really help in this area.

I am trying to learn 3d and put together a complex rigg at the same time.

Many would suggest that you separate those two, and focus on the first for now. But since you did ask, I'll offer a bit of help.

The target is set by typing the name of the bone in the OB: box?

If you're using a bone as the target, you need to enter the name of the armature containing that bone in the "OB" (object) field . . . then a new field labeled "BO" (bone) will be displayed, which is where you enter the bone's name. Otherwise, you can enter the name of an object outside the armature (mesh, empty, etc.) to be used.

The red box that says 'const' i cant get any type to actually stay in that box, do i not need anything there?

That's where you can enter a name for the constraint. It's red only when the constraint is not functional, such as when the target is not properly specified.

. . . because i can only read so much of the manual.

I'm not sure why you say this, but it would help you greatly to read every bit that you can (especially regarding higher-level concepts like rigging). Case in point: the two questions I touched on are answered in the third paragraph of the "Constraint Stack" section of the online manual (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Constraints/Constraint_Stack).

Hope that helps!

crich70
06-13-2008, 04:36 AM
You might also find "Introducing Character Animation With Blender" by Tony Mullen of use. You can find it for sale at amazon for under $30.00. It starts out by showing you how to create a character in blender and then takes you through rigging and skinning it. Along the way it also gives you some info about the making of "Elephants Dream." And if you don't have it "The essential blender" also available at amazon.com is a good book to have as well. It doesn't touch on everything (the game engine for example) but it does take you through the basics of learning blender. I'm just learning my way round as well and those are the two books I made sure to get copies of asap.

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2008, 04:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.