PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Have Photoshop Setup?

Greenham
05-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Because I'm curious and I think it could be beneficial to share and learn from others: How do you have your Photoshop set up while you're working?

I open the piece I'm working on, then I open all reference images I might need as either separate documents or I load them onto a layer in my primary document so I can turn it on and off as I need it.

I turn off explorer and everything else non-essential using Task Manager to free up RAM. I hit F a couple of times to enter full screen mode; press windows key + tab to hide all the toolbars. Finally I hit f6 to bring up my colour chooser, set it HSB slider.

Then I just use the keys to select all the tools I need and press f5 whenever I need to change my brush.

danlefeb
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I have a similar setup, except I keep all my palettes on one monitor while going full screen on the other.

I find it easier to simply right-click to change my brush, though, rather than using F5. Depending on what sort of images I'm working on, I'll often set up a new workspace and use a new shortcut to switch between them. For example, I have a workspace for touching up images (lots of shortcuts for masking, painting, etc.) as well as a workspace for texturing 3D models (different palettes available and some different shortcuts in place), etc.

Dtox
05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I didn't realize you could actually turn off explorer in windows.

Doesn't matter to me, since I use a Mac.
But it does come as a surprise since I always thought explorer was basically the window manager that allowed access and interaction with windows.

danlefeb
05-26-2008, 11:42 PM
You can turn Explorer off and function just fine with the applications you have open, but once you want to use anything in Windows like the start menu, windows key shortcuts or explorer itself then you'd have to turn it back on (easily done by going to the Task Manager and going to File > Run and typing in Explorer).

Overall I guess it would save on memory, but I've never noticed enough of a difference to go through the hassle of turning it off and then back on every time I need to use it.

Greenham
05-27-2008, 03:40 AM
The only time turning off explorer makes a noticeable difference is when I'm using Photoshop. I tend to use the Run to open a lot of my programs and so I don't need explorer's desktop or start menu to operate. Alt + tab still works for switching between windows and Task Manager allows me to open or close any process or program I may need.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 03:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.