PDA

View Full Version : Welding UV points

wavez
05-22-2008, 01:27 AM
I have been searching for a while but can't find the answer I need.

I have UV's layed out but many points don't seem to be "merged". If I try moving a point, it comes appart revealing that the verts were in the same location but not actually the same point.

I have XSI version 5.0 32bit. Please help, I need to get my UV's fixed so I can finish my reel for Siggraph!

ThE_JacO
05-22-2008, 01:34 AM
XSI deals with UV samples in their raw form, which means you have one per each point on a poly.
They can't be "welded", but you can definitely interact with them like if they were.

Turning on vertex bleeding in the TE will move all samples owned by the same point at the same time. This is fine most of the time, but if you're working on a seam it will also move points in another island, and that is most likely not what you want.

You can also use proportional (remember the scale in UVs is normalized to 1Unit) and set it to a very low radius, and use a flat 1-1 profile curve for the falloff. That will move anything under your mouse sharing the same space like you want, and will leave seamed off islands intact.

There's also an on-manipulate toggle you can use.
If you hold down shift while in move point mode, all points under the cursor will move, but this has the unpleasant side effect of cramping up your shift finger like ****.

Things are much better in 6.x, but if you're using 5 that's your ticket.

tc
05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
to move your points without "unweld" you shoud turn on the "Tearing Mode" in the select menu.
This is the same name in V5... If not, the "vertex blending" should do it.

When you have two samples that are for the same point and you wanna put it together, you can select them both and use tools>heal
This should be in v5 too... hopefully.
If it's isn't you can still select the sample pairs and "collapse" it.

ThE_JacO
05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
to move your points without "unweld" you shoud turn on the "Tearing Mode" in the select menu.
This is the same name in V5... If not, the "vertex blending" should do it.
tearing is a v6 option, he's using 5 I understand.

When you have two samples that are for the same point and you wanna put it together, you can select them both and use tools>heal
This should be in v5 too... hopefully.
If it's isn't you can still select the sample pairs and "collapse" it.
healing has been there and working since v2, but it's threshold based, so it's good to have it there but it definitely doesn't help much for interaction (not that you wouldn't know Thiago, this is mostly for the OP's benefit :) )

tc
05-22-2008, 05:46 PM
the healing is more in case you many points unwelded and wanna put it back together.

Before the Tearing showed up on V6 we had a Vertex Blending which was pretty much the same for vertex interaction, didn't we?

ThE_JacO
05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Tearing is location sensitive, vertex bleeding is only index sensitive.
The issue with bleeding by index is that if you work on an island's boundaries it will affect those of another island sharing the same vertex but different samples owned by it, this is hardly ever the desired effect, which is why tearing mode on/off options are there.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.