PDA

View Full Version : Creating Permanent Particles

Glewciefer
05-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi everybody,

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to turn particles into a permanent scene object?

Basically, what i want to do is have my particles emitted and then turn them in to a static objects so that when i return to the start frame the particles stay in place.

Duplicating the particle Objects kind of works except that its only the last couple of particle that are copied.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Tim

hto
05-22-2008, 02:36 AM
Hi Glewciefer,

I'm not sure if this is what you want. Emitte your particles and stop your animation in the frame that you need. then select your particles and go to solvers\inital state\set for selected. and I think that will do what you want.

in case you are working with fluids. just go to fluids effects\Set initial state.

after that you can return to frame 0, and the particles should stay in the position that you left them.

I hope this works you.

cheers.

hto

_stev_
05-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Emit your particles, then stop. Select particle object, set conserve attribute to 0 (on the shape node). Then go to Solvers > Initial State > Set for selected. Now you can delete the emitter and your paricles should be static.

Stev

_stev_
05-22-2008, 02:42 AM
D'oh, hto beat me to it.

Glewciefer
05-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Hey Guy

I tried the Solvers > Initial State > Set for selected and it worked as perfectly.
It was just what i needed.

As a follow up question; is it possible to delete this initial state with out deleting the particle object or is there a way to reset the initial state?

Thanks

Tim

Glewciefer
05-26-2008, 05:07 AM
Hi Every one,

Im still working on a solution to my particle problem.
What i am doing is creating a ball path simulator with dynamics.
I have made the control panel in maya in which you can adjust the inital velocity
of three balls. Each ball has its own particle effect that creates the "ball path".

My problems is i need to leave the ball path there and clear it when necessary.
Ive used 'save initial state' to make the path static but i dont know how to get rid of
it afterwards. Is there a reset initial state function?

Or does any one know a better way i can achieve a similar effect?

Thanks,
TIM

hto
05-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey man,

yes. I a reset option if you go to dynamics\solvers

you will see and option call edit oversampling or cache settings. open it, and inside Particle disk, uncheck Use particles disk cache.

and this option will reset the cache..

cheers.

hto

Glewciefer
05-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Hey hto,

I went into edit oversampling > Particle Disk Cache and found that the use particle disk cache was already unchecked?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.
Its greatly appreciated !

Tim

Derek Wolfe
05-27-2008, 02:25 AM
There are 2 ways that will work.

- write a script that sets all initial state attributes on the particleShape to zero.

- set the lifespan mode to "constant", set lifespan to zero, play a frame untill all particles die, set this as the initial state, then turn the lifespan mode back to "live forever". This effectivley resets the particleShape.

Derek Wolfe

Glewciefer
05-27-2008, 04:26 AM
Hey derek,

thanks for the help.
setting the lifeSpan to 0 was a great solution

Thanks again.

Tim

hto
05-29-2008, 10:52 PM
cool, good to know that you got your problem solve..

cheers.

DrYo
06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
To reset the initial state for particle systems, there is a script on Highend3D.com... look for "dnRemoveInitialState"

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.