PDA

View Full Version : blend shapes with multiple objects

Kornhacket
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Hey everyone, I am an animator and new to the whole setup aspect of the flim process. I am trying to get the blend shapes to work, however the face and the teeth are seperate objects and Im not sure how to procede. I modeled them in Silo and then exported as an obj and brought them into Maya. I tried grouping the face and teeth together and then forming the BS but that didnt work. Any suggestions?

Me109
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
depends on what you really want to do.. grouping won't really cut it if you want it to be a whole object.. use 'combine' instead.. but once you start doing shapes you really shouldnt edit the original anymore... you can use clusters to seperate the parts after that..

or... you can keep it seperate and blend the face.. and then do a seperate blend for the teeth.. whatever takes your fancy really..

eyesonlybob
06-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I would recommend using a combination of joints and blend shapes for the face. Create one joint for the jaw. Parent the lower gums and teeth to it and parent the upper gums and teeth to the head. then you can use the jaw joint to open and close the mouth and blend shapes for everything else.

The reason I do this is because your jaw opens in the movement of an arc which is easily replicated through the use of a joint. Blend shapes are linear, so there is much more involved in creating good jaw movement.

Keithtron
06-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I would recommend using a combination of joints and blend shapes for the face. Create one joint for the jaw. Parent the lower gums and teeth to it and parent the upper gums and teeth to the head. then you can use the jaw joint to open and close the mouth and blend shapes for everything else.

The reason I do this is because your jaw opens in the movement of an arc which is easily replicated through the use of a joint. Blend shapes are linear, so there is much more involved in creating good jaw movement.

Yep, that's what I was going to suggest as well. I also like to use a joint for each eyelid, since those move in an arc as well. When I've tried using blendshapes for eyelids in the past, it always ended up looking really freakin' weird.

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2008, 04:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.