PDA

View Full Version : my system... ticks

newman
05-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone.. Been having this problem/annoyance recently, which is this ticking noise that comes from the case - there's a approx 5-10 second pauses between intervals of said ticking noise which last for some 5 seconds on average.
So I opened the case and went on to check out where the sound is coming from, plus it was a good opportunity to rid the system of dust. Anyway, the sound definitely comes from the direction of CPU/CPU cooler.
BTW I've got an Athlon x2/64 4800+ on a 939 socket board (an MSI board).
Anyway, I'm thinking, replace the CPU fan and see if it fixes the problem - but I'm wondering if anyone had a similar problem? I need to resolve this quickly, the ticking is driving me mad..

aglick
05-21-2008, 11:26 PM
try placing your hand on different components and waiting for the click...see if you can feel the click when it happens.

not likely to be the fan.

check ALL of your hard drives - a clicking hard drive is a sure sign it is about to fail.

brianod
05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Newman!

I agree, ticking is almost always a failing hard drive. Get your data off while you can.

newman
05-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the replies, but it's not the hard drive. I'm familiar with those kinds of errors. First, the sound repeats every few seconds regardless of the disk activity, and second, the sound definitely isn't coming from the HDDs, it's coming from the CPU area. I did already try to place my hand on the HDDs in spite of this and the ticking cannot be felt. I also opened the case and checked again.
The sound is NOT coming from the HDDs, like I said it's coming from the CPU area..
Maybe I should just use this as an excuse to get rid of the AMD and go with intel quads already :)

biliousfrog
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
probably a problem with the fan then, dust or a dodgy bearing causing it to wobble during the spin. Might even be a cable tapping against something...certainly worth getting another fan as they're not very expensive and readily available.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.