PDA

View Full Version : Good Intentions

MrHappy
05-21-2008, 06:00 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/299312_1211389224/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/299312_1211389224/1024bound)
This is the old version of this work. I am trying to post the final version in a new thread.

Samione
05-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Fantastic concept. Stylistic render, illustrations not bad either. Only critique would be to add more depth to the clouds, lay off some of the layerstyle-type effects you used on the type, add some DOF in there and also maybe add a nice radial gradient black to white set to colour burn to give it a more photographic feel. Other than, good job mate!

MrHappy
05-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice Samione :) I'm not sure if I would be allowed to edit my entry, I will ask in the FAQ about it. However, I think I will be taking your advice to enhance the image more, even if it isn't allowed to be updated for the contest. Cheers.

I am unsure about how to go about changing the text though, due to the workflow I used making the image. I will see what I can do but it might be very tricky.

Samione
05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Am I right in thinking you used layer styles for the effects on the text? Inner glows, strokes bevel and emboss etc? If so they should be easy to change as they are 'non-destructive' i.e not baked into the layers.

Oh, I noticed one more thing also, you should gradiate the sky so that it goes from light-dark instead of dark to light :)

The rules state you can submit as many entries as you want. I pointed out a spelling mistake to a user and he re-uploaded his entry so you should be fine.

MrHappy
05-21-2008, 09:39 PM
I didnt use any layer effects on the text, just pure graft. I used selections, feathering, fills and layer masks on them. Sadly, even if I had thought to use the layer effects, I would be stuck now anyway :) The logos were put on the sides of the rockets in ZBrush so as to capture some of the shading on the rockets in the renders.... (i just noticed that the "liberty" bomb isn't shaded properly like the others. Oops, gotta fix that if possible).

Never mind, with this piece, and the last one, I have been experimenting with my workflow to see how I can approach a project differently from the way I used to. Live and learn, as a good friend told me today. I should, with a bit of graft, manage to simplify the text a little but not as much as I would like without going back a long way.

The gradients, DoF and clouds, however, will be very easy alterations at this stage. Thanks again Samione.

MrHappy
05-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Could the mods please remove this thread and entry for me? I have just posted a new thread with the updated final version, so this entry is no longer needed. Thanks a lot.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2008, 06:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.