PDA

View Full Version : Need help to solve cloth problem during animation.

Kchaos
05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi everyone, my cloths are a little overstretched when I begin to run the simulation of my model walking. At the start frame, the clothings are draped over her nicely but as she begins to walk, the clothings starts to get overstretched all the way from their initial position. I wonder if anyone has managed to overcome this problem and could share with me the solution. Thank you.

trgTyson
05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
hmmm..this might work.
maybe a VERY slight input attract (I am assuming ur cloth was bound to the skeleton ahead of time, if not this wont work), mixed with increased stretch resistance.

or just playing around with the stretch resistance, also for clothing make sure under your nucleus the "space Scale" is set to .010 for the best clothing results.

Duncan
05-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Increase both stretch resistance and substeps.

Duncan

Kchaos
05-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Thank you for ur replies. I tried increasing the stretch resistance but the problem still persist. Btw, what are 'space scale' and 'sub steps'? Are they also features in Maya 7? I looked under cloth properties but could not find them.

As for input attracts, are there any info or guides that you could recommend for me to read up upon and see how to use it? Once again, thanks.

trgTyson
05-22-2008, 05:38 PM
space scale and sub steps are both located under the "Nucleus" tab of nCloth, I can't open it right now but if I remember correctly they are under "quality".

As for exactly how 'space scale' works there is a good description in the help, but it will make larger cloth objects act as if they are smaller essentially, gravity will appear to take better affect and will generally make your clothing look more natural with less of a "float" look. Increasing the substeps will make maya calculate each frame of simulation a number of more times..giving a more accurate representation (don't increase this too much, it will slow maya down...20-25 for average work is good).

Input attract allows you to adjust how much your object is affected by cloth from it's original animation. With clothing for example you would bind it to the skeleton and it would move with your model, I then run AmShapeBaker (script on highend3d) to get a blend shape of whatever objects are going to be passive/ncloth). You then connect your nCloth object to it's input mesh (Edit nCloth -> Rest Shape -> Connect Input Mesh) then under "Edit nCloth->Paint Vertex Properties-> Input Attract "option box"" you can paint what parts you want to follow the original animation and by how much of a degree. This is great for collars and stuff on clothing as a component to component would be a waste of calculating. Under your nCloth settings dont forget to turn Input Mesh Atrract to 1.

Kind of wrote this in a hurry, hope all makes sense and that I didnt miss any steps/gave the right info!

Duncan
05-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Also I might point out that a quick search for substeps in the doc would find it. There is lots of useful info in the doc that could help you understand using nCloth better.

Duncan

Derek Wolfe
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Maya 7 does not have nCloth, does it?

Duncan
05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Apologies(no nCloth in 7)... I take it this is classic cloth, not nCloth then, so as mentioned there are no substeps or spaceScale attributes.

Duncan

Kchaos
05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
After smooth binding all my clothes to the skeleton, the clothes no longer stretch all the way from the start. However now, the clothes seem to be stretching a little too far out in the direction of travel of the model and away from the body. I have set my collision offset to very low values but the problem still occurs.

Btw, I didn't really thought I would have to smooth bind the clothes to the skeleton as I thought upon animation, the clothes would resimulate and drape accordingly to the motion of the model. Thanks for this info.

Duncan
05-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Make sure you are doing the bind skin either before creating the cloth, or doing it on the input cloth mesh. You will have problems if you did it to the output cloth mesh, as the effect of skinning would be applied after dynamics computation resulting in unnatural behavior.

Note that there is no need to do a smooth bind of the clothes to the skeleton. It is only useful when you wish to do input mesh attract or wish to set the start pose for the cloth. Check out this tutorial for a setup that shows how to use cloth that is bound to the skeleton.

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_duncan/blog_detail/basic_cloth_on_character_setup/

Duncan

edit... I just realized (once again) that you are not using nCloth but rather classic cloth, so feel free to ignore this advice.

Kchaos
05-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Just curious, does the terms output cloth mesh and input cloth mesh still applies for classic cloth? I am worried if they do then I am in trouble for I did not pay close attention to the workflow. All my cloth setups were done only after my rigging and skin binding are done.

Duncan
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
It is not too different. With both cloth systems it is a good idea to do all rigging and such before creating the cloth( it is possible to apply rigging after, but you need to be very careful with how you do it).

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.