PDA

View Full Version : Selecting shapes

davidgoerndt
05-21-2008, 02:19 AM
From a previous post I managed to get my Illustrator file into Painter.
Now, how do you select a shape? The direct selection tool doesn't select the whole shape only individual points. Illustrator has two selection tools, one selects the whole path/shape and one selects points. So far I can only select points and not the whole shape. The help file has been no help so far. Am I missing something obvious?

davidgoerndt
05-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Nevermind, found the answer, the control key +the selection tool.

davidgoerndt
05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
While working through the chore of importing Illustrator files, I found a couple of quirky things. Once I had my Illustrator file aquired, I tried to select and move individual shapes to other layers. I found that I can't cut and paste any selected shapes. In order to get the Illustrator file into Painter (saving as a ver 3) I had to get rid of all of the gradient fills because ver 3 doesn't like CS gradients. One other annoying little thing is that aquiring an Illustrator file with multiple layers, the layers disappear, everything is on one layer (hence the need to separate shapes into individual layers). The next thing I'm going to try is to save the imported files to Painter's native RIFF format and see if that cures some of the handling problems. More to come...

Jinbrown
05-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Nevermind, found the answer, the control key +the selection tool.

You can also use the Shape Selection tool (H key) and drag a window around the entire Shape to select all control points and also display control point handles.

Or, use the Layer Adjuster tool (F key), highlight the Shape Layer in the Layers palette, then choose the Pen tool or the Quick Curve tool and all control points will be selected. Using this method, the control point handles will not be displayed

#

Jinbrown
05-23-2008, 12:28 AM
While working through the chore of importing Illustrator files, I found a couple of quirky things. Once I had my Illustrator file aquired, I tried to select and move individual shapes to other layers. I found that I can't cut and paste any selected shapes. In order to get the Illustrator file into Painter (saving as a ver 3) I had to get rid of all of the gradient fills because ver 3 doesn't like CS gradients. One other annoying little thing is that aquiring an Illustrator file with multiple layers, the layers disappear, everything is on one layer (hence the need to separate shapes into individual layers). The next thing I'm going to try is to save the imported files to Painter's native RIFF format and see if that cures some of the handling problems. More to come...

Hi,

If it works for you as it does for me, when I create a couple of shapes (paths) in Illustrator 9, save the file in Illustrator 3 format, then open the file in Painter X.1, in the Layers palette, I see a Group above the Canvas.

http://www.pixelalley.com/shapes/052208_test02_ai_to_PX.1_group.jpg

When I click the triangle to the left of the Group name to expand the Group, I see two Shape Layers.

If I want one of the Shapes to be outside of the Group, I can highlight it in the Layers palette, then drag it up the Layers list above the Group.

If I want the Group to remain intact, I can highlight the Shape, right-click and choose Duplicate, then drag the Duplicate outside of the Group.

http://www.pixelalley.com/shapes/052208_test02_ai_to_PX.1_duplicate.jpg

#

davidgoerndt
05-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Jin, thanks, I tried your suggestion re: dragging shapes out of the group to a separate layer which works well. Unfortunately, the Illustrator file I chose had 850 shapes! I think I may need to work with simpler art.

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2008, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.