PDA

View Full Version : Rigging the chickwalker

Sandpiper
05-18-2003, 09:19 PM
Please help me figure out a method for this mech leg for my chickwalker (for full understanding of the chickwalker project, see link below).

I'd like the top portion of the leg to rotate about one axis and it should move up and down based on the connection to the body itself. I'd also like the hydraulics to move up and down based on the rotation and position of the top portion and bottom portion of the leg. I'm having trouble figuring out a strategy to control all this stuff. If anyone has an idea of how to do this, let me know. Or any mech rigging tutorials would be helpful too.

-dc-
05-19-2003, 07:17 AM
I have found that a good way to do hydraulics is to create two ik chains opposite of eachother constrained to the opposite root joint.

For example: create two joints. Now duplicate those two joints, and make the child the root of the second chain. So the two chains should be overlapping, pointing in exactly the opposite directions.

Then, make IK handles for each set of joints. Point and aim constrain each ik handle to the root joint of the opposite chain it is closest to. Parent the root joint of each chain to their respective skeletons. The IK handles should be separate from the hierarchy of the joints. Notice now when you rotate the chains, they appear to be sliding against eachother. Parent your geometry accordingly, and you should get the effect you want.

I know it's probably confusing, but really, it's easy. It's just two chains, with IK handles constrained to the opposite chain. It works like a charm.

Regards,

Joe

DavidT
05-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Is this any use?

http://www.taffix.com/Tutorials/Hydraulics/hydraulicndx.htm

Cheers y'all

Sandpiper
05-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Great advice -dc- and DavidT! I'll mess with these suggestions and post the results. It's good to have some direction at least. I think a problem I will run into is how to get the upper portion of the piston to react to the top part of the leg, ya know? To be continued...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.