PDA

View Full Version : 12 hours of life drawing...on a laptop?!

sketchguy
04-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Hey everyone,

I participated in a 12 hour (7am-7pm) "DRAWATHON" this past Friday at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. There were 16 models posing in 8 rooms, each with different pose lengths - quick warmups (1-2 minutes) through 3 hour poses.

I've been using my Titanium laptop and Wacom 4x5 Intuous tablet with Painter as an electronic sketchbook during life drawing sessions for the past year and 1/2. I thought you'd like to see some of my results from the drawing marathon.

http://homepage.mac.com/stevetalkowski

I quickly threw this page together in ImageReady 7.0 (just got the Photoshop 7.0 upgrade and it finally runs on OSX!) and chose a style sheet that places the thumbnails at the bottom, so be sure to scroll to the right to see all pages.

All images were created at a native screen resolution of 1152 x 768 pixels. The nice thing about Painter is that if I needed extra paper I could just add pixels and extend the canvas. Most of the images were resized to fit comfortably on a website.

I'd love to hear if any of you are using the computer as a temporary alternative in life drawing scenarios.

http://homepage.mac.com/stevetalkowski/drawathon/images/pose6.jpg

alchoi
04-22-2002, 03:25 AM
All right ... is good to hear that other people out there are trying this ...

I get a lot of weird looks bringing my ibook and tablet into life drawing .... I was beginning to feel a little like a pariah ...

sketchguy
04-22-2002, 04:01 AM
Thanks Al,

Yeah, I sensed that some people continue to think of it as a "gimmick", but I just view it as another media choice in my toolbox. It will never replace charcaol, pastel, paint and watercolour, but when one can't use these in a given environment you can still deal with issues of colour and texture. Plus, I like having an endless supply of virtual paper and the freedom to go back and rework an image, save my iterations and track my progress. (Incidentally, I will RARELY use 'Undo', just like when I'm drawing with traditional media, I'll rarely erase and instead draw over the mistake and work the correction into the composition - or use the erase markings as texture themselves)

As long as one isn't using it purely as a cruch I say, "why not?"

:paint: <-- Look, a busted Smilie!! :hmm:

SheepFactory
04-22-2002, 04:35 AM
thats a really good idea!!!!!!!

next week i'll have to first draw the model than go in and add the shading with guache (uhg :( ) , i wish i have a laptop :D ,

one question , I never used wacom , is it comfortable , does it feel like drawing with a pen?

A|i

sketchguy
04-22-2002, 04:43 AM
Initially, it can be very uncomfortable after about 2 hours (especially on the smaller tablets) My hands and wrist would occasionally cramp up. But recently, I purchased a newer Intous pen that has a much softer touch and you don't have to press so hard - that made a world of difference and was worth the additional $80.

It takes a bit of getting used to, looking at the screen and not the tablet, but you pick it up easily. I've been using Wacoms since they were first introduced and it's second nature to me now.

Definitely check one out if you get the opportunity!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.