PDA

View Full Version : antialiased z-channel

iC4
05-18-2003, 09:49 PM
I rendered two seperate files, one "normal" and one for the z-channel

then I used the channel boolean, but I still have no antialiased edges :(

http://members.xweb.cc/friedl/dofcrap.jpg

so is it possible to get a good DOF in digital fusion??

Jayk2k
05-27-2003, 06:59 PM
You need what's called a z-coverage channel, It's essentially the anti-alias pass for the z channel. Depending on what 3d app you're using, may or may not be able to output this.

The other issue you may be encountering is the depth blur may be bluring against black. I don't have time to test this right now, but you might have better results with compositing the image on the sky first, then apply the DOF after.

dg
06-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Try to render your z depht (in fact RGBAZ) channel in double scale and them scaledown by half in compositing this sometimes solves some problems with staircasing in the Z channel.

I hope that helps!:thumbsup:

Jayk2k
06-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Just to clarify for diogo girondi;

render EVERYTHING at 2x rez, and then scale down the final image. By just redering 2x rez of your Z channel and then doing the comp, you will soften/anti-alias your z channel and that will produce incorrect results.

Obviously this will increase your render times and storage needs, but this can yeild better results if your 3d app of choice is not producing a z-coverage channel.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.