PDA

View Full Version : Wrap Defprmer Woes

Cobby85
05-20-2008, 09:07 PM
I am totally new to rigging and modeling for that matter and I've run into a little hitch with my rig.
I created a high poly and low poly version of a model. I smooth skinned the low one to a skeleton and it in turn deforms the high poly one. My problem is with the eyes... I created blendshape targets for the low poly version but the result on the high poly version isn't what I'm looking for (see image).

I have played around with the smoothness, dropoff and influence type but while that makes the edge of the eyelids smooth it messes with the other blendshapes and the results on the blendshapes aren't verygood either.

The result is odd because the influence type is 2(faces, rather than vertices(1)) but it makes these weird points as if some vertices are more influenced than others.

I was just wondering if anyone had a possible solution for me. Can you parent verices to vertices... or can you make a latice that somehow keeps the faces on a straight line?

Your help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Cobby

theflash
05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I would rather not use wrap for such precise deformations. I am still thinking why you have low poly driving high? Cant you have a skin cluster on a low poly and and on top of that put smooth deformer to get high poly?

Cobby85
05-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Bummer... yea, I'm stuck with it now though... I've already delivered 15 seconds of animation using the current rig and I don't have the extra time anyway to redo things. Also, I am totally new to all of this. I followed a Gnomon workshops tutorial for the creation of this character... as it's my first character built from the ground up, hence the low poly wrap deformer... I don't know any other way to do it... and I'm not really very technically inclined.

Is there not some way around this problem though... like parenting the un-influenced vertices to the influenced ones or something?

theflash
05-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Well since you already have a rig setup what you could do is to add blendshapes on high poly verstion to correct the problem you have with deformations around eyes. So you will create set driven keys for your low poly blendshapes which will drive particular blendshapes on the high poly (which corrects the problem you are facing). You should look more into corrective blendshape concept. It's actually easy.

Cobby85
05-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip... For the set driven keys- Would the driver be the blendshape targets or the wrap deformer and which high poly version for the driven? (I'm fairly green with that also)

Matt Leishman
05-21-2008, 06:43 PM
or (if your main concern about following flash's advice is losing animation) you can create a character node out of all the animation controls that you use to create your animation. then with this newly created character node you can create an animation clip that stores your anim data associated with those animation controls housed in the character node. once you have that data saved out, you can in fact revert back to having no wrap deformer. change your rig such that its now only a low rez model, apply your animation clip back onto the character node (in trax editor i believe), so then you'll have your performance, and then just poly smooth the model when done to have your animated hi rez character
(if that makes any sense).

theflash
05-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I think that's a lot better idea. Thanks for sharing Matt. Is the character node you are talking about is character set?
Thanks.

Cobby85
05-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the great tip. Yea... my main worry really is just lots of extra work... I don't really have the time to overhaul things. Would your suggestion mean I would have to redo the smooth skinning, Matt? I'm also worried that it might change the fur... or affect it in some way... For the most part my head just wants to explode coz I'm not a fan of the technical side of 3D.
Thanks for your help though... I will give it a bash if time permits

Matt Leishman
05-27-2008, 05:44 PM
sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get the typical automated response telling me about your responses.
Flash - yes, i'm referring to the character set that you can create in the animation menu.
Cobby - If you have already skinned the low rez, then no, you would not have to redo the skinning on it. I'm just saying that you could fine tune the deformations on the low rez, and then just poly smooth it when its time to render ... that's all they did (essentially) at Rhythm & Hues when I was there. If your fur layout is based on the uv's from the low rez then it shouldn't be affected. The steps i spoke of for saving out your anim data and then reapplying it was just for the sake of having a way to save out your performance so you wouldn't have to do it all over again if you chose to edit the rig such that it would be reverted back to being just a low rez rig.
hope it works for ya.

Cobby85
05-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh cool... never thought of that! The problem there though is that my wrap deformer is cut up into 7 parts but a useful way of working for future projects. Fortunately, though, I have wrappd up the job and didn't have to push the eyelids to far.
Thanks for your guys' help though... I will keep it in mind for future.
Cheers

theflash
05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the reply Matt. I just wanted to make sure I am thinking right. It's actually nice use of character sets which many people dont like to use. Do you guys use character sets frequently? Or you like to have that option in case some people want it?

Matt Leishman
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Here at Dreamworks we don't use character sets only because we don't use maya for animation. Maya is used for modeling, character fx, sometimes fx, and previs/layout type work too. animation, rigging, lighting, rendering etc , that's all proprietary.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.