PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 and XSI -- will I be annoyed?

adrencg
05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Anyone made the jump to Vista yet, and if so, how does XSi work on it? Any overall impressions of Vista that makes you say yes or no.

Should I stick with xp64? I'm dying to get some DX10 action going.

ThE_JacO
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Not particularly impressed with vista and ogl insofar.
Half the apps need to run in compatibility mode and performance is usually a couple notches below any other operating system.
RAM hogging and lack of many applications and drivers support make it that much harder to deal with too.

Ironically enough I had A LOT less problems getting Linux running and functional on my laptop than I've had vista. Tells you a long story about a platform when a source based distro is easier to install and better supported to run than a consumer paid product.

Dual boot or wait for a bit imo, it's still a pain in the ass OS.

SFDD
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
I have XSI running on XP Pro 64 on one machine and Vista 32 on another. I have found neither to be more trouble prone than the other--both are working fine. (Granted, I'm not running Vista 64, but I've heard others say good things about using that with XSI too.)

Keep in mind, though, XSI 7 will be the first version of the program that "officially" supports Vista.

Sil3
05-21-2008, 10:21 AM
The only annoying thing is the Glitch on the Animation Editor that happens on the 8800 GeForces (not refreshing sometimes when we move keys), there are some "fixes" on the XSI Wiki, but didnt really helped me that much, I got used to them by now and Softimage said its been fixed on XSI 7.

Dont know if this glitch appears on Quadros under Vista 64 or not.

I know that only Quadros are officially suported, but their prices simply dont justify them unless we go for the ultra dated cheaper ones and the speed diference between the 8800 is very very noticeable and the 8800 still costs less.

mdee
05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Biggest problem is no python in XSI64 (works fine in XSI32) on Vista64 and Quicktime (not related to XSI, it's general problem). Other than that, works great and stable, I am quite happy with OGL performance.

I say, yes, go for it, unless your whole company runs XP64 or Linux. No point of investing in XP64 now as it's obsolete already.

BTW. I use FireGL7600 and it rocks, latest driver fixed most of problems and they still promise more enhancements.

adrencg
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Biggest problem is no python in XSI64 (works fine in XSI32) on Vista64 and Quicktime (not related to XSI, it's general problem). Other than that, works great and stable, I am quite happy with OGL performance.

I say, yes, go for it, unless your whole company runs XP64 or Linux. No point of investing in XP64 now as it's obsolete already.

BTW. I use FireGL7600 and it rocks, latest driver fixed most of problems and they still promise more enhancements.

Thanks.

But what about the license manager and issues that people complained about a year ago. Does the SPm need to be run from another machine, or does it work in Vista for you?

ThE_JacO
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
licensing works fine on vista and has for a while now, you won't have problems in those regards.

edit:
ops, wait a sec, was thinking of v32. I think it's fine on v64 as well now, but you might want to shoot out a mail to soft's support to get official confirmation, just in case.

mdee
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Apparently, python problem on vista 64 has been solved.

http://community.softimage.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=83

tested it briefly and works great so far.

sven77
05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
We're running XSI on VistaX64, no problems so far...

stblair
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
licensing works fine on vista and has for a while now, you won't have problems in those regards.

edit:
ops, wait a sec, was thinking of v32. I think it's fine on v64 as well now, but you might want to shoot out a mail to soft's support to get official confirmation, just in case.

Licensing works fine on Vista 64.

Steve
Softimage Support Team Lead

adrencg
06-17-2008, 04:31 AM
Wow, I hope the packaging is no barometer for how I'll feel about the software, because the Vista packaging is without a doubt the worst I've ever seen. It made me feel really dumb trying to open that thing -- I though it was an IQ test or something.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall at that design meeting.

adrencg
06-18-2008, 02:00 PM
So, I've been playing with Vista for a couple of days, and all I can say is:

I love me some Vista(64). There were a few bumps to get through at first, but everything is running smoothly and playing nicely with softwares. The quicktime issue is no big deal, as I can use the QT alternative, and I only render to PNG sequences anyway, so no big loss.

I still have to torture test for a few weeks, but it's great so far.

pelos
06-18-2008, 05:42 PM
the other day my boss got a laptop with vista on it, and ask me to install XSI.
and didnt run on it.
so at the end we put the old XP from his old laptop.
and xsi runs there.

not pretty sure but looks that vista seems to work better with multiple procesors than XP
or at least is what they say (microsoft) that vista was intented for multicores.

adrencg
06-19-2008, 12:48 AM
the other day my boss got a laptop with vista on it, and ask me to install XSI.
and didnt run on it.
so at the end we put the old XP from his old laptop.
and xsi runs there.

not pretty sure but looks that vista seems to work better with multiple procesors than XP
or at least is what they say (microsoft) that vista was intented for multicores.

I noticed that After Effects now uses 100% of the 4 cores. I didn't do that with XP.

dmonk
06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Still have XSI v.5.11 at home and Vista 64.... Don't do it! Headaches..... Unusable for the most part.

I downloaded the v.6.5 trial and had no issues. I'm waiting for v.7 before I buy another copy of Fnd (Which is all I need.)

adrencg
06-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Update....

I've had a nightmare of a day. After finding that Vegas 8.0 doesn't play well with Vista, I tried to fix it. Somewhere in the process, After Effects got screwed and won't work anymore on Vista -- and it's been doing stellar for 2 weeks. I run into little compatibility problems that create all kinds of catch22's that would make your head spin. I've lost many hours of precious work time(under deadlines).

I am going to re-install xp64, then quitely put the Vista CD back in its case, and smash it with a hammer. I have no time for this crap.

This is from someone who has a mini production house in his basement, running 3 computers and torturing graphics applications to their limits -- Vista is NOT ready for prime time.

Sbowling
07-03-2008, 03:09 AM
I've been running XSi on vista 32 for a few months now. I went to the XSI wiki page and found a few fixes for known problems with vista before I installed XSI and have had no problems. The only thing I've found is that Vista sometimes doesn't see my XP machines and XP sometimes doesn't see my vista machine over the network. I found a fix for it once, but then the problem came back and I can't find the fix again.

ThE_JacO
07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Vista is NOT ready for prime time.

Told you so :p
It tells a long story when it takes me a grand total of two hours without compiling a single bit or doing anything other than using YUM and packaged RPMs to get linux running on a bleeding edge laptop, and after two months Vista still BARELY behaves and definitely disappoints when it comes to performance.
It's ironic I guess, but in a good way.

adrencg
07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Told you so :p
It tells a long story when it takes me a grand total of two hours without compiling a single bit or doing anything other than using YUM and packaged RPMs to get linux running on a bleeding edge laptop, and after two months Vista still BARELY behaves and definitely disappoints when it comes to performance.
It's ironic I guess, but in a good way.

Do you have to get Linux versions of all your software? That would suck.

ThE_JacO
07-04-2008, 09:21 AM
The only thing I use that doesn't run under linux is zbrush really, and there are a few things I have under Linux that I don't have under windows, so it kinda evens out.

I still have a partition with win on my laptop for the handful of things that I can't virtualize and to compile stuff for windows, but that's the whole extent of my interaction with win these days.

adrencg
07-05-2008, 05:10 AM
The only thing I use that doesn't run under linux is zbrush really, and there are a few things I have under Linux that I don't have under windows, so it kinda evens out.

I still have a partition with win on my laptop for the handful of things that I can't virtualize and to compile stuff for windows, but that's the whole extent of my interaction with win these days.

So then you are saying you need a LINUX version of software...right?

ThE_JacO
07-05-2008, 08:43 AM
For most things yes. Same as for windows you need the windows version of them :)

dwigfor
07-09-2008, 12:39 AM
I've been running XSi on vista 32 for a few months now. I went to the XSI wiki page and found a few fixes for known problems with vista before I installed XSI and have had no problems. The only thing I've found is that Vista sometimes doesn't see my XP machines and XP sometimes doesn't see my vista machine over the network. I found a fix for it once, but then the problem came back and I can't find the fix again.

Do you have Username/Passwords on all your machines? In order to share directories, both computers need login credentials.

PS. I have no problems running Vista 32, both at work and at home. I've been running it since RTM, a little more than a year and a half now.

adrencg
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Do you have Username/Passwords on all your machines? In order to share directories, both computers need login credentials.

PS. I have no problems running Vista 32, both at work and at home. I've been running it since RTM, a little more than a year and a half now.

I have a problem with my XP64 machines not being able to copy or modify files on my Vista system. I can go the other way, but it seems impossible to get any access to vista unless its just reading files. The extra security stuff is extremely annoying and stagnating my work process big time.

I can't have my computers asking asking each other for permission for everything...I need all 3 of them to have their hands down each others pants, if you know what I'm saying.

tc
07-09-2008, 01:14 AM
I can't have my computers asking asking each other for permission for everything...I need all 3 of them to have their hands down each others pants, if you know what I'm saying.

go on control panel, type UAC in the search box and deactivate it.

XSI7 performs awesome on Vista 64bit.
If you just deactivate all that crap vista is actually a better OS than XP64.
I didn't have to search for a single driver in the internet, and I'm running a MacPro with 8 cores.

SheepFactory
07-09-2008, 01:23 AM
go on control panel, type UAC in the search box and deactivate it.

XSI7 performs awesome on Vista 64bit.
If you just deactivate all that crap vista is actually a better OS than XP64.
I didn't have to search for a single driver in the internet, and I'm running a MacPro with 8 cores.

Hey there.

You are just the person I wanted to talk to since I am getting a mac pro soon. What are your Mac Pro specs btw? (which gfx card?)

Where did you get the drivers for it? Bootcamp doesnt support 64 bit vista right?

tc
07-09-2008, 01:57 AM
I took my mac out of the box, plugged everything and turned on.
Then I set up the Bootcamp partitions, put the Vista Ultimate 64bit CD and installed everything after a restart.
Then I installed the DVD that comes with the MAC, which has the bootcamp on windows side and all the drivers for windows etc.. and that was it.
a PC Mac. :P

Now you can go online and try to get the "latest amazing videocard driver from Nvidia website"... but It seems like Apple keep the DVD up to date with the latest version of drivers for windows. Because I didn't have to get anything.

XSI 6.5 has some glitches on vista... nothing big... Most of it is go away when you turn Aero off.

Tthe videocard I got was the Geforce 8800 GT.
At work I have exactly the same setup now, but with a Quadro videocard.
And there's no difference at all, don't pay for the quadro card.

SheepFactory
07-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Wait your bootcamp cd installed Vista 64 drivers?

I thought it only had Vista 32 drivers in bootcamp.

revert
07-09-2008, 04:05 AM
The bootcamp that comes with the new Mac Pro's have the 64 bit drivers.

tc
07-09-2008, 04:15 AM
yes it installed it all.
I just checked and it is probably the 32bit version of the drivers, I didn't even noticed that before. There's is no conflict or missing drivers at all though.
I got the default setup they have for the MacPro 8 cores + the cheap Nvidia card they have...

So judging the configuration I got, Vista64 on MacPros work great.

tc
07-09-2008, 04:22 AM
The bootcamp that comes with the new Mac Pro's have the 64 bit drivers.

So I need to reinstall some of them because my bluetooth driver is in the system32 folder.
Some things like the Nvidia card has parts of it installed in the system32bit and 64bit...

Again, I never had any problem with this... better just don't mess with.

jorust
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
Ordered Vista64 and XSI 7 Ess. for my MacPro yesterday... :D

liquidik
07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey tc, what are the things you disabled in Vista ?

Pretty curious on this one since I have to come back to windows just for XSI :P

- Gian

mocaw
07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry- don't mean to high jack this thread...but it seems a good place to ask these questions...forgive me if I'm wrong.

OK, so I know that for each version of vista you can get a 64-bit disk for something like 10 bucks from MS, but is there any reason I shouldn't just get Home Premium if I use a single multi-core chip system with 4GB of RAM?

I know Ultimate comes with all the goo gas and supports huge amounts of RAM etc. but there is also a lot of crap in there I would never need/want. So would Home Premium work- or am I going to run into network problems with things like interfacing with mr standalone on a Linux box or something? Would the biz version be better? Just making sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Man I wish I could just run it on Linux...but I HAVE to use the adobe suite constantly...

SheepFactory
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Does vista home premium have any limitations when it comes to how many cpu's and ram it can use in the 64 bit version? Or is the 64 bit version only available in ultimate?

mocaw
07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Does vista home premium have any limitations when it comes to how many cpu's and ram it can use in the 64 bit version? Or is the 64 bit version only available in ultimate?

On MS site they say that all versions of Vista, sans starter, either come with a 64bit disk (ultimate) else it can be ordered for a small fee (I read $10).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

The info I got on the CPU limits (not cores) was from another site, the RAM limitations are listed on MS site. I can't vouch that it was legit. If anyone can set me straight on it that would be cool.

I don't blame you SheepFactory for being confused like I am- their site and marketing of this product is a mess. I'm thinking of calling them...but who knows if I'll get a good answer about things even that way. I'm hoping someone with first hand knowledge can fill in those gaps here.

Edit- just found this:

"While all editions of Windows Vista can support multiple core CPUs, only Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise can support dual processors."

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.