PDA

View Full Version : why do fx artists avoid soap suds?

RoundRobbin
05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
just wondering, is it that impossible?

hkspowers
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I actually think that would be easy to do. Just a bunch of instanced spheres or clusters of spheres with random sizes. Throw a good shader on them and BAM! done.

RoundRobbin
05-20-2008, 07:33 PM
it getting the spheres to not cross each other thats kinda tricky, without having to use blobbies. Unless shadera and lighters can conceil such a thing

Aikiman
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Actually having a look at some soapy bubbles, it would be really hard to imitate with particles. Firstly you got the bouncy feel of each bubble then how some will pop and others move to fill up the space while sliding on each other. In fact you'd have to be a genius to do something like this imo.

Maybe its a job done with nCloth using slide constraints and many many expressions. The shdaer would be easy enuf, just apply a fluid shader.

RoundRobbin
05-21-2008, 03:08 AM
Would it be possible to brain storm a possible solution to this.

-advect painted or emitted bubbles, or particles, or nCloth, softbody surfaces over a fluid. cache the particles and edit membership of cluster and scale down the shape. (little to no control with cluster approach)
Some of these conventions may make it impossible to pop and contract the suds
Although i'm sure there must be a direction to make such a thing happen

would nCloth contraints contract the suds from one another after each one pops.
It would be great to see some tests.

from what I know I would try to go the particle route with instanced Spheres if not blobbies and use soft mod with slight fall off after caching to scale down (contract) the particles. This would be a post maya operation once the animation (birth, flow, and death) of the suds are set.

rasamaya
05-21-2008, 03:37 AM
you could easily boolean the sphere's and if you needed them animated you could animate them through some kinda lattice or what not.

you could also, simulate a bunch of ncloth spheres, I think that would work best.

Aikiman
05-21-2008, 04:31 AM
you could easily boolean the sphere's and if you needed them animated you could animate them through some kinda lattice or what not.

you could also, simulate a bunch of ncloth spheres, I think that would work best.

could you then make an instance copy so the copies animate using the same lattice, perhaps have 3-4 different original objects and with construction history on the boolean operation, have it update as the geometry deforms.

Wick3dParticle
05-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Not trying to start any FXwars here, I know there is a specific forum for that...
But I think this is totally a job for Houdini, and a great example of why a procedural workflow is so valuable for FX work.
With a non destructive workflow I am sure you could have these bubbles boolean in and out of eachother, while being copied to a particle system. I am still at work, I will try afterwards to run a test at home.

Great subject for discussion,

~Ilan

FloydBishop
05-23-2008, 07:42 PM
The internal pressure settings of NCloth could handle this, but I don;t know that it would be the best solution for a large cluster of bubbles. It would still require a lot of hand tweaking.

RoundRobbin
05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
okay, so i got a pretty good result with this method:
-paint particle bubbles that are instanced Geo. Do this to your acquired visual taste based on bubble sizing. One can even go so far as write a way to make the instancer live to paint particles on.
-advect those particles over a fluid so the animation matches.
-pop bubbles accordingly.
-deform after cache via soft mod tool.

This can look pretty good close up or far shot.
I strongly recommend continual R&D for bubble bunching that may look pentagonal in shape like aikiman picture post. I'm guessing that would be an advanced use of nCloth with tearable surfacing possibly deforming after the cache as well.
-I'll post the particle result on my demo reel once i get permissions.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.