View Full Version : hair rig?

blackseraphim
05-20-2008, 07:20 AM
hi! any ideas on how to rig a hair(geometry) that follows through the character
and the animators wont be animating it?

tnx in advance!

WMBrown
05-20-2008, 06:03 PM
part of it might depend on which program you're using to rig the character... but i've seen some nice solutions that use the flex tool in max and/or spring driven IK systems. not sure how you'd tackle it if the hair has the potential to pass through the main mesh, but it might be a start to check out.

edwardG
05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
If you're using Maya, you can bind the geometry to joint chains and use hair dynamics
to drive how it moves. It would have to be somewhat "stiff" so that it doesn't droop into other geometry, or you could duplicate the head object, wrap deform it to the head, make it a collision object with the hair, and then hide the collision object.

Max should be able to do something similar.

Illusion-shadow
05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I have done something like that by using a very very low res cloth driver and skinwrap the hair mesh to the cloth driver.

blackseraphim
05-22-2008, 09:08 AM
If you're using Maya, you can bind the geometry to joint chains and use hair dynamics
to drive how it moves. It would have to be somewhat "stiff" so that it doesn't droop into other geometry, or you could duplicate the head object, wrap deform it to the head, make it a collision object with the hair, and then hide the collision object.

Max should be able to do something similar.

is there any alternative for hair dynamics?
for example, i'll just grab a controller and rotate/translate it
and the hair moves smoothly?
i'm using maya by tthe way

tnx for the reply :D

liquidik
05-22-2008, 10:25 AM
You can try this, works quite well and doesn't need hair, nor playback

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/4221.html

Gian

blackseraphim
05-23-2008, 10:06 AM
tnx for the ideas guys!

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2008, 10:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.