PDA

View Full Version : Some tiles don't render bump in 64bit

adrencg
05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Has anyone had an issue with this? Basically, a scene that works fine in 32, will have some tiles render without bump maps.

Again...it works fine in 32, and it's only certain scenes, but I can't seem to track down the thing that makes this happen.

ThE_JacO
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Are you using map files?
I have never seen the issue myself, but it's, albeit rare, possible that map files generated in 32bit environments will not behave properly in 64bit.
It's an issue existing in general with memory mapping and memory dumps being used across platforms with different addressing schemas.

adrencg
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
No map files, but what you said leaves to believe it may some kind of networking issue, maybe. Any other suggestions?

ThE_JacO
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Networking is also possible.
It would be easier to help if you said what kind of scene it is, file formats are involved, where from and how the data is being pulled and in what format it is.

Have you tried anything already for troubleshooting? Making the image local, using a different rendering model (rasterizer/scanline/raytracing), different clip settings?

We've all seen or heard of similar issues at some point, but it's hard to make head or tail of it without any context :)

ThomasLC
05-24-2008, 09:21 AM
it's a bug with the new bumpmap node (zBump). replace it with the old bumpMapGenerator... the bug is only hapenning in 64bit...

Benr
05-24-2008, 06:32 PM
or if you have zbump installed try removing it.

visualboo
05-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I can confirm this also. I have a scene file I'm packing up to send to SI.

Benr
05-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey Gene, out of curiousity, do you also have zbump on that system?

adrencg
05-28-2008, 02:50 AM
it's a bug with the new bumpmap node (zBump). replace it with the old bumpMapGenerator... the bug is only hapenning in 64bit...

Not sure I understand what you're saying.

You mean to use the "bumpmap generator" that is already there, or get an old version from somewhere? We should avoid the "bumpmap" node, which is actually zbump? It doesn't look anything like zbump.

visualboo
05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Gene, out of curiousity, do you also have zbump on that system?

Negative ghost rider. This is actually a fresh system with almost no 3rd party "stuff" installed in the workgroup.

visualboo
05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Well wouldn't you know it. I just looked at that emdl again and it's rendering fine now.

I tried everything before. Restarting XSI, rebooting the computer, rebooting file server (I thought it was a network problem for a while), rebuilt model, rebuilt shaders... nothing worked. Until I found that it was the bumpmap node. After I nailed it down it was completely reproducable everytime. But now it's perfect.

I have no words for this kind of wackyness.

Benr
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
adrencg - yes the new bumpmap node is zbump, just with a different interface (spdl).

gene - it was just a theory, because I noticed that one of the GUID's in the new bumpmap spdl was unchanged from zbump so I thought it might cause a collision. I haven't been able to reproduce it myself though and I don't know why it would only be the 64 bit version.

adrencg
05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
adrencg - yes the new bumpmap node is zbump, just with a different interface (spdl).

How do you mix bumps without zbump?

adrencg
08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Oh wow. I just found out that the BumpmapGenerator node does the same thing sometimes.

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.