PDA

View Full Version : Smudge tool on a layer with transparency - once again

Narida
05-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi,
The problem is as Ravis described in a thread "Painter 9 Q: Smudge tool on a layer with transparency", that had already been closed. When smudging on a new layer in places where colour ends there appears that awful white.... None of three options how to solve that problem, Jinbrown suggested satisfies me. I don't find gel layer as a good solution in my situation, checking "pick up underlying color" doesn't give results I would expect - there still appeares some kind of gray or something - I don't know, and finally smearing without smearing is not actually the thing I need. And that's why I'm posting this thread - has anything changed for these 3 years? Has Painter IX.5 solved that problem? Is there any way to maintain transparency when smudging? Thanks for replies :)

workbench
05-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Painter always blends with white on a new layer if you don't have "pick up underlying color" checked but because Painter has many color glitches and artifacts it's never perfect, changing to multiply or gel is just plain wrong, it will give a total non desired effect.

I changed to Paint Tool SAI, a japanese program developed by a single person! I bought the english version and I experienced a much better blending experience and with better results after playing around with the brush settings, you don't blend with white like in Painter and it doesn't have color artifacts either so it's a great start.

Jinbrown
05-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Narida,

Since none of the solutions I have provided, and can provide, for doing "smudging" on a Layer with transparent areas are what you need, the only other solutions available in Corel Painter are to:

Do your smudging on the Canvas after the Layers are dropped, or
(Preferably) use File > Clone and do your smudging on the Clone, flattened copy of your working image (this will allow you to retain Layers in the working image).

#

Narida
05-19-2008, 05:29 AM
Thank you for your replies :) I'll try cloning.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2008, 05:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.