PDA

View Full Version : highest Res for texturing

thehive
05-17-2008, 06:55 PM
maya can only hold 8k images in to output render what can xsi hold

mocaw
05-18-2008, 01:30 AM
I have no idea...just tried a 10k image though (converted to a map file first) and it rendered just fine. I tried looking it up...couldn't find one yet. I'm sure someone here has a definitive answer though.

Are you doing print work? What texture that you're using needs to be that big? At any rate you should make it a .map file IMHO.

thehive
05-19-2008, 10:22 PM
i wanted to see if i can do some giga pixel render like on the gnomon digital set series but maya can only hold 8k

tc
05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes XSI can hold a bunch of hi-res textures. I mean many many hi-res textures at the same time.
I did a project where my shader had 8 textures with 20.000pixels each map (don't ask me why I had to do this). And it was in a 32bit system.
Our pipeline was set with Maya and on the first try with large maps Maya return an error "Texture is too large" or something like that and crash. (Maya 7 at that time).
We jumped to XSI for that project.

We tried .bot and .map didn't work as they should. As far as I know maya still don't go far with high res maps.

This thread may have some information on another XSI user doing the same crazy thing. Rendering lots of high res textures.
http://archives.itg.uiuc.edu/softimage/xsi/2008-01/msg00039.htm

thehive
05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
thanks much apprecated

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.