PDA

View Full Version : Combustion 3 wish list

dmeyer
05-18-2003, 12:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, i like c2, but there is always room for improvement ....so without further ado....

1. Expressions

2. Enhanced Schematic.

I know c2 is a layer based comper rather than a node based, but Schematic is a cool way to get a bit of the best of both worlds. How about taking it more in the direction of flame's setup? Or even Shake?

3. Keyframe assistant-like functionality.

Then i could quit renewing my license of AE.

4. A time remapper that doesn't suck. :banghead:

5. Expressions

6. Speed

7. Stability with IFF files

8. Bicubics (one can wish, can't they?)

9. Expressions

10. 3D tracker (one can wish, can't they?)

Anyone else?

Flywaver
05-19-2003, 02:31 AM
hehe I *think* you want expressions in C3 am I right? ;) :thumbsup:

Since I got into DF in the past weeks I must agree a better schematic view wouldn't hurt...and same as you, I think it will take a LOT from AE to make me switch back now! :eek:

Cheers!

Milo FX
05-19-2003, 04:34 AM
1- Expressions
2- Expressions
3- Expressions
4- Reel based desktop like Flame (why not)
5- More poverfull schematic view
6- Modular keyer
7- Finally expressions

Jack Pfeiffer
05-19-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi..

You have some reasonable requests, which I am sure Discreet < MAY just > listen to... But, you have to TELL THEM... DIRECTLY !

Why don't you "cut & paste" your previous "request list" and click on:

http://www.discreet.com/support/combustion/feedback.html

Bye,

Jack

xmb
05-19-2003, 01:24 PM
what are you guys doing with expressions...

Flywaver
05-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Well, nothing for me I am not at this point in DF but some friends swear by them so I can't wait to learn how to make some! :buttrock:

Cheers!

FxWhizKid
06-01-2003, 04:17 AM
AUTO PAINT!
expressions
bicubics
a better tracker
a "bulge" operator
saphire sparks !!! (and then i woke up)
enhanced schematic
to have the discreet color corrector be linked in the discreet keyer a-la an Action Setup in Flame/Inferno, instead of adding a CC opertaor on top
particles that only work more than just half of the time
the Flame/Inferno Orange and Yellow mask display (as opposed to the white one that comes in combustion that doesnt let you see your offset)
make it more stable and practicle for use with 2k files
AND make it a little less of a memory hog...if thats possible

i should mention i'm spoiled by my time on the Flame/Inferno machines...I do like Combustion alot (I've been defending it to friends and colleagues since v1.0) and i think with a few of upgrades mentioned in this thread it could be even better.

thats my two cents anyway...

crgowo
07-08-2003, 02:38 AM
id have to double what dmeyer said
7. Stability with IFF files
very unstable in 2.1

public
07-08-2003, 04:54 AM
1. Rulers and Grids in paint
2. Stability of particles in HD
3. Background rendering
4. Movable/detachable pallettes like in 2.01 that save their position, not the ones on 2.1
5. Warper
6. Expressions
7. Extanded Bicubics
8. A way to convert masks to selections and vice versa

I'm sure i have more quams with combustion but this would be a start.

dg
07-12-2003, 04:40 PM
All the above :rolleyes: +

- Better support for audio files
- The ability to make a waveform control some parameter
- Timeremapper, if possible like twixtor
- Some improvements in speed
- Why not framestores?
- Support for zpics
- Clustering
- Background rendering
- Render speed improvements
- Improvements in the viewport updates while tweaking parameters
- DOF for the movie camera
- Some kind of editing abilities wont hurt
- 3D warping
- 3D displacement

that's all for now!
See ya! 8)

X3M
07-13-2003, 08:42 PM
90% ar even 99.9% of what you guys are asking for 5D Cyborg had, amazing package. Now all that technology belongs to Discreet. In my opinion insted of killing Cyborg they should kill Combustion and rerelease Cyborg. I know I am dreaming, and if they had done it it would directly compet with their high end products but well, we all can dream... can't we?

dmeyer
07-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Jack Pfeiffer
Hi..

You have some reasonable requests, which I am sure Discreet < MAY just > listen to... But, you have to TELL THEM... DIRECTLY !

Why don't you "cut & paste" your previous "request list" and click on:

http://www.discreet.com/support/combustion/feedback.html

I sent my list in long ago. Everyone do the same! It certainly can't hurt!

dmeyer
07-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by X3M
90% ar even 99.9% of what you guys are asking for 5D Cyborg had, amazing package. Now all that technology belongs to Discreet. In my opinion insted of killing Cyborg they should kill Combustion and rerelease Cyborg. I know I am dreaming, and if they had done it it would directly compet with their high end products but well, we all can dream... can't we?

I doubt this would happen, even if purely from a marketing standpoint...it doesnt fit in with their 'all things fire' naming convention in their FX products. Best we can hope for is some Cyborg features to float into C2, or to continue to bring flame's goodies down to the desktop.

crgowo
07-14-2003, 05:27 AM
ive never heard of cyborg but if they wanted to release it they could have just renamed it to a fire type name im sure. If they were going to release it at all.

xsi
07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
- faster
- faster
- faster
- stabler
- stabler
- stabler

and the stuff mentioned above.

i really hope some technology from cyborg or from the project strata-mezzo (toxik) will go into c3. - anyone know when c3 could be out? will it be demoed at siggraph03?

PPGINGRAS
07-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic
Stability
Faster
Schematic

and also...

Stability
Faster
Schematic

PP Gingras

crgowo
07-22-2003, 12:43 AM
lol

xsi
07-22-2003, 11:19 PM
C3 > LINUX

Chris
07-23-2003, 04:41 AM
Yep, I think C3 will be greater than Linux too! :D (joking)

crgowo
08-12-2003, 07:49 PM
or one more thing... to beable to control whats on top of what or layercontorl for composite, in schematic

oh ya and better IFF support :)

arvid
08-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Warning, pointless post, since it'll never happen, but anyway:

Remove the layers, either you go all the way like AfterFX which is pure layers and even lets you edit a little if you want to, or you go full nodes like Shake or DF where you can pretty much forget about editing. Right now in C* you're crippled both ways with poor layers and crappy nodes, I say bring back Edit* and make C* a pure node compositor and bundle the two! :) And make it happen on linux as well. :wip:

xsisx
08-13-2003, 02:15 PM
yes opacity, your post is somehow pointless.
i see no reason why to remove the layer-structure from combustion and making it only node-based. both are very powerful and if i can have both options why remove one.

PPGINGRAS
08-13-2003, 02:40 PM
I heard rumors from Siggraph that there will be EDL support within C3.

THAT would be awesome.:buttrock:

Anyone can confirm???

PPGINGRAS

arvid
08-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by xsisx
yes opacity, your post is somehow pointless.
i see no reason why to remove the layer-structure from combustion and making it only node-based. both are very powerful and if i can have both options why remove one.

Because having a mix cripples the functionality of BOTH, any shake user will be able to ramble for an hour about what C* lacks in the node department and the layers system aint that good either in C*.

PPGINGRAS
08-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Opacity is right...its one or the other.

Looks like the C2's Scematics are only there to impress clients.

PPGINGRAS

dg
08-13-2003, 05:24 PM
hehehehehe!!!

I have to agree with that :)

See ya! 8)

xsisx
08-13-2003, 05:31 PM
but then i would rather give up the shematic-view in c, if it's not going to be improved than the layer-timeline. which has in my opinion everything you need.

i see no point why it should be removed if you can have both. all discreet needs to do is improve the shematic view to be as zippy & powerful as in digital fusion or shake.

PPGINGRAS
08-13-2003, 06:42 PM
It cant be, the node are "linked" to the layer...its more like a faked node based...the nodes controls the layers and vise-versa...thats why its so slow...

I just want Shake back...:love:

PPGINGRAS

dmeyer
08-13-2003, 06:59 PM
i dont see why they can't have both, at least to some degree. The layer stacking order would just take the place of the various layer nodes in shake. Granted, true node based workflow a la Shake is likely not possible, but there is no reason that the current version can't be optimized, at the very least.

What i dig about c2 is that it's somewhat of a gobetween AE and Shake. For strait comping, Shake is the winner hands down. For strait motion graphics work, you'll do well with AE. C2 is good if you need one tool to do both.

beaker
08-14-2003, 03:11 AM
I want a good combo. Have the timeline that works more as an editor. Have the timeline an empty slate, and drag nodes into the timeline. Children will automatically take on the time of their parents nodes unless you drag the children down, then if you do you can change their timing. Maybe somekind of group node for the timeline instead of the actual nodes, donno, just throwing stuff out here.

sonicstrawbery
08-14-2003, 03:27 AM
Agree with beaker about the timing problem with different elements connected.
It could be cool if it was more faster and stable.
Better support of IFF should be improved too.

dmeyer
08-14-2003, 04:14 AM
I could go for cross platform Backburner support too.

And Expressions!

arvid
08-14-2003, 10:39 AM
The only way to truly mix nodes and layers is to have one nodetree per layer. Say for example, if you doubleclick a layer, its nodeview will open, and you can composite just like in shake within that layer or container as DS calls it or pre-comp as AE calls it, then you can stack any number of such layers on top of each other. I'm not sure but I think DS works similar to this.

dg
08-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Hi all!

I have done this quick sketch of a "layer node" that in my optinion would solve all the problems between the layer and node interface.
When you try to connect something to him he adds a "slot (layer)" like in PS, so you can atach multiple rendertrees to one single node, this node will act as a merge in DF, or a precompose for those who are familiar with layers. You have the ability to mute each layer individualy and reorder then as needed.

See ya! :)

xsisx
08-25-2003, 04:42 PM
to me the stability & performance is more important. but a shematic like in flame/ digital fusion/ shake would be nice though.

but i really really hope c3 will be much faster and less crashing. and linux again, of course.

Oxide
09-04-2003, 06:08 PM
This all sounds nice, but what I'd really like to see is less ram eating. It's almost impossible to do any 2k work on it unless you have 2 gigs of ram or more.

chrisWhite
09-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Here's some info on Combustion 3 from Videography Magazine:

"combustion 3 is the first effects application to have integrated editing. By doing this we're not trying to replace something like, for example, an Avid system for long-form editing. However, there are a lot of times when you're working on something like an opening, a web banner, or a music video, and you need to string clips together with transitions. Traditionally, users have to go out to an NLE to do that kind of work. And that's complicating their workflow in a couple of ways. First they have to find the NLE and learn it. Second, they are always changing things around. What I mean by that is, there's a sequence of clips that looked right for what you were doing, but after you make changes, the timing might then be off or you didn't get permission for the one clip you were going to use so you have to swap it out. By doing this all within combustion, you are saving a lot of time are also finding the process considerable easier. I showed it at Siggraph to a number of our large postproduction customers and they thought it was great. One reason is because the animators hate having to go out and book time in an editing suite with and editor when they just need to clip stuff together. So now they can do all that work themselves."

Another feature set added to the application, also based on user requests, is the Expressions. As it was explained by Worthington, by using a piece of JavaScript, the artist can control any parameter in combustion that's keyframeable. "And that's almost everything in the application." he says.

Editing and Expressions, sounds like a good upgrade to me, the article also talks about it running on the G5, so I think that should dispel the rumor that it won't run on OS X.

crgowo
09-09-2003, 05:21 AM
if you want to read the entire article click here
http://www.uemedia.com/CPC/article_11623.shtml

but thats mostly whats talked about in the article. Those are very nice but i do hope better zdepth tools like iff support and zdepth extraction are also supported/improved. Oh ya memory usage also :)

arvid
09-09-2003, 09:55 AM
hmm.. this sounds dissapointing.. just like ae6 :rolleyes:

mbxsi
09-09-2003, 10:28 AM
i'll be hardly pissed off, if c3 won't be available for linux. - i'm so waiting to move my pipline to linux, but need a motiongraphics/ compositing package over there at a affordable price.
shake is on linux, but it's a pure compositing app. ae6 won't be on linux due to adobe's business-style, but discreet should really do it if smoke6 will be on linux anyway.

beaker
09-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Hey, they stole my idea for the editing thingy :)

naw, I'm happy its in there. I just hope there ends up being alot more features in 3.0 then they have listed so far.

dmeyer
09-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by beaker
Hey, they stole my idea for the editing thingy :)

naw, I'm happy its in there. I just hope there ends up being alot more features in 3.0 then they have listed so far.

Maybe they will float you a free copy as compensation. ;)

It looks good though, and will make for a lot less round-tripping to your NLE.

Jack Pfeiffer
09-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Hi All..

It WOULD be nice if Beaker gor a freebie Cv3 for his "idea"......
But, if everybody got a free copy for their feature requests, then there would be nobody left to sell to !

:p :p :p

As the "editing" concept -- I just wanted to comment ...
I wrote the article at FXGuide.com, and, to quote myself ....

"..... I must be careful here and explain that the new Combustion v3 “Edit Operator” is NOT to be considered a complete and polished “Timeline Editing Toolset.” No –actually it is far from it. Note that for professional and fully featured video editing, most users will still need to use a NLE (non-linear editing) package. The idea behind the new Combustion v3 edit operator is simply to allow users to expand on the basic editing capabilities, all inside combustion: It works in a linear fashion and includes easy tools to add transitions between segments....... The Edit timeline contains one video track, with no audio tracks."

Read the whole article here..
http://www.fxguide.com/article156.html

bye,

jack

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.