PDA

View Full Version : Another Ball Bounce, Please Crit.

mattjmit
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I can see that this animation doesn't look quite right and I'll continue working on it today, but could you guys give me some ideas on what you think needs changing as well. I'm having a little trouble pinpointing everything.

Thanks,

Matt.

mattjmit
05-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Sorry, I'm an idiot, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi2jKwz5Obk

Teris
05-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi mattjmit,
I think your animation looks really good, the only thing I could point out,
as far as I'm qualified to do so, is that to me, the ball, right after the first
rebounce on the ground, look "pushed" by an unknown force or so...may it's
just the arc wich is a bit too wide or it's the second half of this particular arc,
there's a point where the balls feels like it's popping.
I hope i could explain what I mean, keep updating!:)

lewistaylor
05-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Good work so far! Yeah the second bounce(first on the ground) is picking up
speed. Also, there's a hell of alot of squash going on. Remember, even though
it's just a basic ball the same principle applies. Which is, what type of ball(or character)
is it? What's giving it it's initial velocity? What materials are the walls and floor
made of?

Might seem like I'm going a little too deep here, but see how this translates to
your more complicated animations down the track?

Hope it helps :)

Lewis

mattjmit
05-19-2008, 02:24 PM
thats not too far, thats the stuff I need, it a never ending road, so you can never overanalyse something as long as its in the right directsion, cheers for the help, ill apply it to my ball and see what happends.

mattjmit
05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks teris, I had trouble with bouncing once it hit the ground, I'll keep going with that it was getting kind of unclear to me the more i watched it so its very helpfull to have some views from you guys.

lewistaylor
05-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Matt,
I'd be carefull about applying too much of anything to
your ball (or balls), as this could result in a trip to the
hospital.

Lewis

mattjmit
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
we'll I'll definately take your advice on squash and stretch then

theflash
05-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Apart from some speed issues on second bounce, the only major thing that concerns me is the volume consistency. I understand that it's 2d and it's not easy with tihs medium. But still keep practicing to maintain volume. Other than that great work!

lewistaylor
05-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Matt,

In my experience, a bit of stretch is not too bad :)
I would stay away from squash though.

mattjmit
05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey flash, I definately agree about the volumes, I find it quite a struggle. I'm trying out a few tricks to help me with it, like always having the correct sized object on a seperate layer to check against. We'll see how it goes.

theflash
05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Yes that's one trick we used to check the size against the original size in a separate drawing. I think's it's more about the practice that will train the eyes for volume consistency.

Obraxis
05-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I think the other comments are valid. My only suggestion is not to use youtube for animation tests where you'd like comments on timing, as we cant scrub the frames. Maybe quicktime would be better?

mattjmit
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree obraxis, I'm trying to figure out setting that up for next time I post.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.