PDA

View Full Version : ambient occlusion - diffuse not showing

intrikit
05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
hey guys,

so my diffuse maps don't appear when the sun (spotlight) in my scene isn't hitting it. below is the render tree. what am i doing wrong?

http://members.shaw.ca/session/diffuseproblem.jpg

SimonReeves
05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't bother with ambient, you could plug the AO into the diffuse, and then the image you have into the bright slot of the AO.

intrikit
05-16-2008, 11:57 AM
thanks simon.. but that doesnt work. the only thing that works is plugging the AO into the material's surface shadow and photon slots.. the problem with that is that the object ignores my sunlight which is supposed to cast hard shadows. any thoughts?

Brainsells
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Check the dark color on the AO node for alpha. Set it at 1, or it will alpha itself out. Also, it's not a good idea to use PSD's in mental ray. Stick with a flat format.

wurp
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
the setup you have is fine, you just need to plug the diffuse texture into the "bright" slot of the ao shader as well, otherwise your ambience wont have any textures will it..

if it doesnt work something else is wrong, are you sure you have UVs for example?

intrikit
05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
yes i have UV's. also, would PSD be alright if it's flattened?

i will try your suggestions. thanks for your responses!

wurp
05-16-2008, 08:13 PM
psds are fine, xsi always reads the flattened version of it, no matter how many layers you have in there. PSDs can be a bit more memory hungry due to the fact that MR cant read them natively, but other than that they work just fine.

also, if you can't figure out whats going on here, export that one object to a new scene and try to fix it there, it makes it much faster to track down a problem.

intrikit
05-16-2008, 08:28 PM
thanks wurp!

plugging in the texture into both the diffuse slot of the phong and the bright slot of the AO solves the problem.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2008, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.