PDA

View Full Version : IRC for Fusion? And Spills--what other techniques to use for spills?

KAMAKAZZI
05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Couple of questions, is there an IRC channel already established for Fusion?

I have green spills that occur in some footage I am working with on the keying phase. I have been using the Ultra key tool and using the Pre-matte size, matte separation, matte contract/expand, matte blur and matt gamma to help ease the spill and have my alpha be crisp and solid.

The actress has her limbs close knit throughout most of the footage, then when she gets into her acting and start separating her limbs from body, I get spills between the crotch and arm pits.

What other techniques used to help isolate these problems and totally make the green transparent?

There are problems I saw when they took the footage such as:

Model too close to green background which causes the subject to have reflections from the green background onto the subject.
Lighting is arranged to help prevent spills to maintain the green BG to have a solid tone of green but at times, the short distance of the lights contribute the reflection of green on the actor.
Some footages have a small resolution size with pixelated information that can be hard to clean up in post production.
CU (close up) shots are great! When the actor is at a distance is when artifacting starts to take place. I dont know if this is a camera lens issue or her being closer to the green screen background.
Any suggestions on proper footages to use for post production would be great!

I thought of some solutions to these problems such as:

Having the actor be in the Da Vinci pose so I can key out the green while limbs are separate from body
if camera is stationary---have the actor not be in frame, key out the green at that time, then have actor get in frame.
Am I on the right track or are there better ways to handle these problems I am facing?

Appreciate all the sincere comments. It helps me out tremendously and I highly value experienced suggestions thats given freely.

All the best,

Cypher

KAMAKAZZI
06-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, if no one wants to share some spill tweaking techniques, thats fine. At least someone respond with the IRC channel for Fusion.

Thanks.

C.

theotheo
06-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't know any IRC channels specific for fusion, but there's other active forums like www.pigsfly.com and vfxtalk.com and the laffey mailing list.

-theo

KAMAKAZZI
06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks a million Theo! Those links opened new doors for me. Already got a pot of coffee going. VFX is aweseome! I remember why Fusion blows AE out the water. Still use After Effects though to add the sound.

Highly appreciate it.

Best,

C.

MikeMichaels
06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
There is no magic "hit a button and have a perfect key" solution. Any areas that are eaten away because of spill, need to be roto'd back into your matte.

Also, try using a bunch of different keys for different areas. For example, the hair of your subject is going to require a different key then the more solid parts of the body like the legs and arms. Then use roto's to isolate those specific pieces and rebuild the entire key for your subject.

Also, i'd use primatte...trust me, there's a reason its in all the major comp packages. BG->CleanBG->CleanFG.

Spill suppression can be found in the Mate Control node.

Good Luck.

KAMAKAZZI
06-16-2008, 05:27 PM
--Yeah, I already started rotoscoping the matte. Just didnt want to animate the matte due to a lot of frames involved. Wanted to get other guru's inputs before I had to animate everything.

I really like the double poly line tool...its very nifty. Have messed with the pre-matte slider more than enough. It is a very powerful and handy tool.

I really appreciate your response Mike.

Best,

C.

PS---I see what your saying with Primatte and the flow chain. Duh. It works like a charm! Again Thanks for the input, really helps. :beer:

The multiple keys and then rotoscope the pieces back together just opened a whole new world for me. Totally makes sense. Dude--I owe you a beer. Thanks...really.

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2008, 05:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.