PDA

View Full Version : Pouring juice into a glass

quickdrawdan
05-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Hello,

I am new to the whole dynamics thing. I was curious about -What is the most effective way in Maya 8.0 to show juice pouring into a glass?

Thanks

Dan

Aikiman
05-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi Dan,

Believe it or not Maya isnt the best software for pouring liquids, in fact for super realism its awful! You can fake it using blobby particles or you can try with maya fluids both these methods give you 'good' results but nothing that would hold up under scrutiny.

For realistic results there are a bunch of liquid software like Realflow comes to mind. If you are interested in learning to pour liquids, Id recommend learning one of these instead.

quickdrawdan
05-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi Dan,

Believe it or not Maya isnt the best software for pouring liquids, in fact for super realism its awful! You can fake it using blobby particles or you can try with maya fluids both these methods give you 'good' results but nothing that would hold up under scrutiny.

For realistic results there are a bunch of liquid software like Realflow comes to mind. If you are interested in learning to pour liquids, Id recommend learning one of these instead.

Do you work for realflow? I have seen a lot of threads with you talking about how good realflow is. I would eventually like to get a hold of realflow, but the problem is- I dont have any extra money to get realflow, so I have to work with what I have which is Maya 8 complete. Do you have any advice or know of any tutorials on using maya to get the good results?

Thanks

fedayi
05-15-2008, 05:39 AM
realflow is really good. use the personal learning edition.

it allows you to export your files into maya so you can then render it out, or play around a bit more with it.

i use realflow for all my liquid.
but just because its good, doesnt mean its easy. im not trying to discourage you from using it. if anything I encouraging you to get it and work with it. there are alot of free tutorials on digitaltutors that talk about realflow, from pouring water into glass, to rendering it out in maya.

Aikiman
05-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Do you work for realflow? I have seen a lot of threads with you talking about how good realflow is. I would eventually like to get a hold of realflow, but the problem is- I dont have any extra money to get realflow, so I have to work with what I have which is Maya 8 complete. Do you have any advice or know of any tutorials on using maya to get the good results?

Thanks

No I dont. I just like sharing information that gets me excited about visual effects. Try and google stuff on blobby particles in maya, that should get you started.

alexx
05-15-2008, 07:51 AM
...so I have to work with what I have which is Maya 8 complete. Do you have any advice or know of any tutorials on using maya to get the good results?
Thanks

i am sorry to tell you: like that you wont be able getting a reasonable good result without breaking your arms.
for certain tasks you need certain tools. and pooring liquid in maya 8 complete is not a matching toolset.

cheers

alex

untelon
05-15-2008, 11:55 PM
I agree with the replies. Realflow is a very popular alternative. Some people got decent results with a maya plugin named glu3d (I believe)... Houdini also supports fluid sims. If you are constrained to maya, the glu 3d plugin might help... here are a couple of links.

http://3daliens.com/glu3D/index.htm

Also, check out this novel approach by Duncan. He uses nCloth for this sim. In reality, maya particles do not "pile up" so you'd need to think about your project. Are you going for a realistic look? Filling a glass requires particles to be aware of each other and "pile up" You could accomplish this with maya fluids, where you drive maya particles with your fluid sim... but all those are rather poor alternatives to something like realflow.

Here's Duncan: http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_duncan/blog_detail/water_tank_example/

Good luck.

azshall
05-16-2008, 01:46 AM
No I dont. I just like sharing information that gets me excited about visual effects. Try and google stuff on blobby particles in maya, that should get you started.

hahaha.. Get him started on how liquids are NOT supposed to look, ..Like clumps of lumpy oatmeal. :)

alexx
05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
hahaha.. Get him started on how liquids are NOT supposed to look, ..Like clumps of lumpy oatmeal. :)

^^ best description of that look i ever read

btw: is nCloth available in maya complete?

no matter what you do: the key to a good looking fluid is the mesh that is built AFTER the simulation is done.
if you dont have any special software that cares about the meshing, your result will always look like the above mentioned breakfast.
that is very well visible on duncans approach. nice movement but lousy meshing

cheers

bigal

sabungero
05-16-2008, 07:57 AM
glu3d will do...but realfow is still the best

Aikiman
05-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey I found a thread where I dont mention Realflow at all but explain how to setup clumps of lumpy oatmeal really well....I mean blobbies.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=313157

(see I knew Id tried it before);)

quickdrawdan
05-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey I found a thread where I dont mention Realflow at all but explain how to setup clumps of lumpy oatmeal really well....I mean blobbies.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=313157

(see I knew Id tried it before);)

Hey I appreciate the response. I actually did end up downloading the personal learning edition of RealFlow, the only problem I am having is I can't find the plug-ins for maya.

If you know where I can find these I would appreciate it.

If not, thanks again!:wavey:

fedayi
05-16-2008, 09:21 PM
its on the page where you download the ple version, it should say on the side "plugins"

here is a link

realflow plugins (http://www.realflow.com/descg_240107_02.htm)

quickdrawdan
05-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey everybody thanks for all the tips. I ended up using Realflow and i really do like it.

I have the particles and meshes reimported into Maya. Do ya'll have any suggestions/tutorials on getting the render of the particles to look realisitc?

Aikiman
05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
As far as I know you just import the mesh without the particles and add a watery shader to it like the dialetric material in MR. If you need help on learning how to use the dialetric or create a Maya software shader there's no doubt a ton of stuff in the rendering section.

The main thing about water is that it becomes more reflective as your facing angle gets smaller, I believe the MR shaders do this automatically.

quickdrawdan
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
I was wondering if ya'll knew how to gradually reduce the size of the pour. I have been trying to make the end of the pour more realistic, but it seems like when the simulation is done a big glob of liquid splashes into the cup.

Aikiman
05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Resize the emitter to something flatter or keyframe the rate.

EightBit
05-28-2008, 02:00 AM
Here is a thread where Blender's fluid dynamics was used to create a fluid simulation which was then loaded into Lightwave and rendered. I'm sure you could also load it into Maya.
Looks cool and Blender has been updated since this thread was started. Also, Blender is free.
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10042
I have not tried it.

fedayi
05-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Resize the emitter to something flatter or keyframe the rate.

that depends on what is being done, since the resolution is depended on the size of the emitter.

so if the size of emitter is big, and resolution is small, less particles come out compared to a higher resolution. if a smaller emitter is being used and a small resolution, alot more particles will come out. and a higher resolution means ever greater amount of particles.

a way to figure out what to do depends on below.

question.

Do you see the glass in which the juice gets poured out of, or do you only see the juice falling in the glass??

if you dont see where the juice is comming from, ei. you only see juice pouring from the top of the screen I would suggest you use the teacup method (i just call it that)

basically what it is, is you use something to pour the liquid into the cup, dont have the liquid going straight from the emitter into the glass. (please look at screen to understand what I mean.)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1682/picture1je2.th.png (http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1je2.png)

basically im mimicking a pour from a spout, which is the same thing that happens when you pour juice from a container, this was a quick mock-up so if you want a bit more specific pour, use a tube instead of a flat surface to pour. it give a way better pout simulation, since when you pour from a spout, water tend to overlap itself (you will understand what I mean, when you try it and see for yourself.)

if you dont understand. set up 2 emitter, 1 emitting in a spout and being poured and 1 just straight from the emitter, and pay attention to what the particles do. and you will understand what I mean.

if you want to show the pour slowing down and stopping (like there is no more juice left) I would suggest you lower the max particles on the emitter, so it emitts a certain amount and then stops, and the spout should take care of the rest.

* remember: resolution also plays a part in amount of particles being emitted. by the scale of the emitter.

if you do see the container in which you pour your juice from, I would suggest you model the container, and set the emitter inside the container and pour from inside the said container. it will give similar result, but now you see it pouring from a container.
Its a bit more work, but once you know what to do exactly its easy.

* tips on getting faster simulations, lower the scene scale. never leave it at 1, I usually lower the scene scale to 0.25. when im simulating. then you upscale.

* also lower the simulation steps. greatly. 333 is alot, lower it to the point where the particles dont explode. sometimes im able to get away with 20. and it does speed up the simulation time.

if you need help on any of this, or general questions on realflow, let me know, ill gladly help out. if your having trouble understanding let me know where and ill create a mock up set for you and give it to you so you can see what im doing.

hope it helps.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2008, 06:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.