PDA

View Full Version : Critique me please

booleanspline
05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey, just started doing char animation. These are my first attemps at weight and walk cycles. Any critiques and comments are appreciated. Thanks. Also, one last thing, when animating this character i had difficulty with the arm i would set two keyframes and inbetween it would completely circle around. I dont know what i was doing wrong.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W4P2QcH4ht8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k97eCOQXdtQ

jckjck
05-15-2008, 09:27 PM
im not really in a position to critique your animation, but if your using maya double click the rotate tool and change the rotation from local to gimbal when animating arms etc it makes things a hell of a lot easier IMO!

davidemirzian
05-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Walk: Very fluid, almost too fluid. Way too much bobbing up and down on the body, reduce that to like half. The hands and fingers look kinda creepy in the fixed position they are in. and the rotation on the wrist is a bit too over exaggerated as well. The keys for the feet when on the ground are in spline.. This does not work because when we walk we are moving at a constant rate. So switching the feet keys from spline to linear is what you need to do there.

Heavy Lift: Lift looks good, few things though. Get those fingers moving. I can see the ball moving a bit when hes holding it. Give the ball at least another frame or two when falling. Record yourself lifting something heavy and dropping it, would you keep your knees bent after putting the heavy object down?

Keep it up!

Dave.

JamesLane
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
That looks like a 3D max rig so Im going to assume thats what you are using. If so there is a drop down box at the top of the screen that you can change to gimbal as jckjck mentioned. If you still get the twisting, open your curve editor and watch your curves.

1. In the walk cycle, I agree with davidemirzian it is looking a little too fluid with way too much bounce. (if you are going for a realistic walk cycle). Another thing to watch for is the spine and hips stay way too stiff throughout this cycle. Try adding some bending and twisting as his weight comes down on each step.

When swinging the arms this much...or moving the arms pretty much at all....you want to make sure to animate the clavical bones. The arms can't move all that far on their own without the shoulders moving at least a little bit.

2. On the weight lift, the character looks a bit stiff overall here. Watch the center of gravity in the body. It doesnt appear to move that much. When he drops the sphere, his COG should move to compensate for the weight shift. Again, watch the shoulders and spine to shift as well. Good start, Keep at it!

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.