PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Foundation in large scale production?

MikeBuckland
05-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Does anyone use Foundation for large scale productions?
We are considering moving our pipeline to XSI and are planning use mostly foundation seats for animators, and only get Essentials and Advanced for the leads in each department. This is what is making it particularly attractive and affordable to me.

But speaking to Softimage, they recommend not using Foundation because it isnt supported, or developed inbetween major upgrades. I wanted to check whether anyone has found this to be an issue in practical daily situations.

Bearing in mind that we are planning a long format character animation project - it will probably take more than a year to complete, and all rigging, setup, referencing, scripting etc will be done beforehand with Essentials and Advanced by the leads. We probably wont upgrade in the middle of production anyway, so if we started with one version, we'd stick with it throughout the whole production for all flavours of XSI.

What I am thinking of is that all the animators (the bulk of the team and for whom I'd need the most licences) should need to do is animate characters and camera. Do you think Foundation enough to do just this (animation of characters only), or is it not really a practical idea?

Cheers,
Mike

colour
05-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Mike

Whilst working at Luma about 2 years back, all the rigging, setup etc was done in advanced and essentials, and a couple of us had foundations. I used it exclusively for character animation, and then passed it back to the advanced/essentials guys at the end. I think there were referencing limitations, and some issues with batch rendering. You might want to send Paul at Luma a mail. I'm sure he'd be happy to chat with you about it.

You can check out the animation (the robots and skateboard guy) at the end of my reel (site below) were done in that manner.

Cheers
Gavin

whiz.co.za

Sil3
05-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Apart from Referenced Models and RigidBodies/Syflex/Hair (Foundation still has Cloth and SoftBodies) theres really nothing preventing you from using Foundations as the core for Character Animation. Of course Softimage will advise otherwise, they want to sell you the more expensive versions ;)

Foundations is IMO an amazing workhorse solution for CA and Modeling, specially on large teams that have dedicated artists only doing this things on a big project and dont need to acess other features while working, like Hair/Syflex or RigidBodies, thats where Essentials and Advanced come in.

colour
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I believe the entire rigging training dvd at 3dmastermind.com was created in Foundation. I'd REALLY recommend this (that is if you don't have it already)! Particularly as your work is more 'toony'. Manny produced a winner, and for someone with rigging phobia (me) it even seems simple, yet he covers a wide range of very useful techniques.

MikeBuckland
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
That DVD is on my list :)
Thanks for the comments - Im going to keep looking into this.

liquidik
05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Doing our 2nd TV Show here, and so far it's going great. We're still on 5.11 though as we didn't want to switch yet as our schedule doesn't permit any problem other than the known problems found in pre production.

Gian

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.