PDA

View Full Version : Fast Subsurface Scatter - Geom within Geom.

joshone
05-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey everyone fello XSIzers,

I have a cube with a smaller cube inside of it. Both of the cubes have an SSS_Fast_Simple node plugged into their material nodes (and I have tried this with both objects sharing the same material, and with each object having it's own similarly configured SSS material).

The problem is this: When I render, I cannot see the smaller inner cube. According to the documentation:
====
Blocking Scattered Light

When you create a strong back scattering effect, itís important to pay attention to the geometry that sits between the shaded objectís front and back surfaces, since it will block scattered light and be visible in the scattering effect.

In cases where you actually want to block light ó to create a silhouette inside of a shaded object, for example ó you can apply the exterior objectís material to the interior object. This ensures that both objects are included in the lightmap computations, and participate in the scattering effect. The interior object will block the light and become more visible as you increase the back-scattering depth.
====

And there's a picture of exactly what I am trying to do in the docs, so I know it's me.

Any suggestions on how I can get the inner box to block the light?

Thanks

joshone
05-14-2008, 01:27 AM
hmm. I guesss XSI has given up due to my "never give up" attitude. It just started working kinda. If I can find out why it was not working I will post it.

Rens
05-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi, the two objects need to be connected to the same lightmap if I remember correctly (i.e. same sss material).

joshone
05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes, you are onto something with that. I also found that size of the object, light intensity, scale of objects and SSS has all have to be set just so. I think it just needed to mess with it a little bit more before posting.

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.