PDA

View Full Version : First post: Necklace

StramiT
04-21-2002, 06:43 AM
OK, I'm a 'newbian' to 3d stuff..... But I thought what the hell, may as well post something to give back for the brilliant art I have witnessed on the boards in my past browsing.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/stramit/necklace.jpg

Tell me what you think. (Any advive on lighting or stuff like that for future work would be great)

//kthxbye

Taoizm
04-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Welcome StramiT. Thanks for posting. For a newbi your image isn't half bad. Couple of things though:

Please find another texture rather than (what looks like) the plank texture maps that comes with MAX. It's a easily reconizable image, and here it makes your necklace look like it's the size of a beach ball. The scale doesn't work. :)

The chain is the next big thing. It's not responding to gravity. It looks like it's floating in the air. If you have a necklace handy try holding it up and seeing how it falls (real world ref is the best:)) Then tweak the spline (I'm guessing it's a path deform) to better represent how an actual chain would fall.

The materials are fairly decent and actually convey to me that they are metal and glass so kudos :D However on the sphere the bump is a bit distracting. I think there's a red ball on the inside but I can't be sure.

For some referance on materials and lighting (among other things) start with Neil Blevins tutorials. www.neilblevins.com

Hope that helps. :) Good work, and I hope to see more stuff from you. This is an excellent start :thumbsup:

dark_lotus
04-21-2002, 07:12 PM
Its always nice to see fellow countrymen on this forum (i think you are the first),

I have to agree with pretty much everything that Taoizm has said.

Great start! :bounce:

Oh and one other tip, try and be a little more suttle about being a 'newbie'. It makes you look a little more proffesional. :thumbsup:

Catch Ya

StramiT
04-22-2002, 01:37 PM
Oh and one other tip, try and be a little more suttle about being a 'newbie'. It makes you look a little more proffesional.

Bwahahah as if I'll ever be good enough to be pro!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.