PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave bone naming conventions

adrencg
05-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi all.

Is anyone in this forum familiar with the naming conventions that your skeleton needs when exporting a LW scene to MB.

I can find NOTHING in the manual on how to name stuff in LW so that MB's translation can be seamless.

Does anyone have a list or could you maybe post a screengrab of a bone heirarchy?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Awesome Possum
05-16-2003, 05:01 PM
hey,
I am also using the Lightwave/Motionbuilder combination and so far there aren't any tutorials that show how to rig properly in Lightwave and then export SUCCESSFULLY to Motionbuilder. But there are tutorials at 3Dbuzz.com that show how to rig in Maya and in Max, and name the bones properly and such. After watching them set it all up in Maya and send it to Motionbuilder, I was still unable to successfully import a character into MB. Also if you dont want to go download the VTM from 3Dbuzz, you can just open up MB and put a basic character (that is free w/ MB) and looking under the characterize panel. It shows the names you must use on your bones. Hopefully 3DBuzz will do a VTM on how to set up a character properly in Lightwave and sending it to MB.

Best of Luck

3DDave
05-17-2003, 01:25 AM
Check out page 302 of the manual.

The process is identical to Maya's, you can either make the skeleton in modeler or Layout. The key to being able to auto characterize is to NOT deviate from the minimum required bones and hiearchy.

sinbad
05-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Hi, I boned up a character in LightWave by using the exact technique and naming conventions as in the Maya VTM, it is totally identical. I did have to have a couple of goes at it though, but it does characterise (note correct english spelling ;) ) I tested some animation and merged back to the LW scene - it actually works!
Make sure you parent everything properly in layout and get the naming correct, and you should be alright.

Cheers,

Paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.