PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a flying squirrel

sketchkd
05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,

I have to rig a flying squirrel for my senior project, and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. He's more of a cartoony flying squirrel and will also need to walk on his hind legs and use his front legs as arms and hands, while also being able to run on all fours and glide. I imagine I would have to create a quadruped rig and a biped rig for that.

The thing I need help with is rigging the loose skin that the squirrel's use to glide with. Are there any ideas on how I can go about accomplishing this? Thanks!

Boucha
05-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Hi,

May be you can use softbody dynamics to simulate the wing in combination with deformers and cleverly placed joints...Also using expressions and set driven keys can automate the process.
Remember that its quite challenging to make a stable quadruped rig which can walk on two legs and fly (glide). So, you might need to develop many corrective blend shapes...

Aligorith
05-13-2008, 07:28 AM
You might be interested in checking out the rig for "Frankie" that was used for the Peach project (http://peach.blender.org/). The rig (and all of the other production files) are currently not released yet, but they will be in a few weeks when the DVD's have been sent out.

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2008, 07:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.