PDA

View Full Version : Deforming a tire around a large rock

ruddiger52
05-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Anyone have a a good approach for deforming the bottom of a tire as it slowly rolls across a large rock? I have the animation down but deforming the tire realistically around the rock shape has stumped me. This is for a close up shot on the tire.

Thanks

RoundRobbin
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
if you look up stretchy IK and find a rig for the tire. Possible squash and stretch deformers, or clusters or blendshapes can be a faster solution. the soft mod tool can very well be your best bet for area to area shape shifting

ruddiger52
05-14-2008, 08:00 PM
All of these approaches would be animated manually? Which is probably what I will do.

Thanks

particlefx
05-14-2008, 08:40 PM
i would use ncloth to achieve similar effect.....

RoundRobbin
05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
ahh yes, nCloth could very well be your best solution. Simulation may run long due to its rigidity and deformable attr set high but it seems like the best approach if the shot calls for it. A trick you could do is simulate a low rez tire around the rock and wrap deform the hi rez to the low rez cloth sim. That should make sim times run a lot faster.
Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.