PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at a Walk Cycle

Zolak
05-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I've been lurking on this message board for the past year and a half learning a bunch for everyone and I think it's a great community to learn from. This is my first attempt at a walk cycle; it's a vanilla walk with no character yet (will move onto that after I feel I have created a satisfactory generic walk cycle). Would really appreciate any criticism for how I can improve it. Thanks a bunch guys!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGXBxVxf4-w

Zolak
05-16-2008, 06:03 PM
*bump* still hoping for some feedback, thanks in advance

booleanspline
05-18-2008, 03:40 AM
its pretty good. dont know how i would improve it. maybe slow it down a tad. but other than that you've got yourself a pretty good walk cycle.

theflash
05-18-2008, 10:34 AM
That's pretty good man. It's definitely better than my first walk cycle. Here are my suggestions.

On timingwise according to me it's a little faster (in a very small amount though). just by fraction I would make it slower and see how does it look than. You can do more with shoulders they are horizontal all the way right now. You can do some subtle animations if you are going for realistic animation. And most important is pelvis, it will definitely tilt a little (again depends on how realistic you are going). So far these are major issues I would improve if I were you.

But you have done a great job man. I love the overlap and followthroughs that you have used, esp on the hands.

Zolak
05-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went back in and made some changes. I added some up and down rotation on the hips and shoulders, just a little didn't want to go crazy with it. I also offset the keys on the fingers so they aren't all changing at the same time. Finally I made some small tweaks on the feet to try and get more drag with the toes. Here's the link for my updated walk cycle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIsw7lD9Z14

Once again thanks in advance for the critiques!

lewistaylor
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
This is a Digital-Tutors rig, and from the look of it, the walk cycle is
from the maya walk cycle training DVD(I should know, I own a copy).

It's a really helpfull training video for the walk cycle. Now you have gone
through the training kit, use this knowledge to build a specific cycle with
a personality in mind.

Lewis

Zolak
05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I used the digital tutors tutorial as a guide to build this walk cycle. I wanted to get down a basic walk cycle first before I went on to a more "animated" walk. I think I am close on this cycle and have started to block out a "sneak" walk that I hope to have up in about a week. Once again thanks for the all the critiques!

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.