PDA

View Full Version : Character with clothes

Lestat
05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm modelling a character which will eventually be dressed in a suit, which won't ever need to come off. I plan on Mudbox'ing the details. He'll need to be animated.

What would would be a good workflow here - model a bust, and the clothes seperately, then attach and use that to go on for animation and stuff, or model a complete body, then figure out how to use cloth to sew him a suit and put on him?

Regards,
L

threehundredbpmshredder
05-10-2008, 11:41 AM
It depends on the weight of the dress and some other factors in a scene like the wind blowing, the character undressing, etc. If the dress does not get affected or easily affected by such factors, then it's okay to use a model as the shirt.

Although when I try to think of it, a good way to get a shirt to have the shape of a body is to simulate it on the body itself.

Lestat
05-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Although when I try to think of it, a good way to get a shirt to have the shape of a body is to simulate it on the body itself.
True, but two factors have me hesitant to use cloth and model the body:
1) The body will NEVER be seen. This is for a website where the character is a quiz-master who will walk in, announce the quiz, and then play a few animations when people answer correct or false. So no reason for him to take clothes off, no wind etc.

2) I'm not familiar with cloth, but it seems that getting a good fit and look would take a while, plus I'd have to model a semi-detailed body to go with it, which seems a lot of work for little purpose.

I'd considered going the cloth simulation route, just to learn it, but this is a work-project so I can't really afford to experiment too much, eventually someone will want results.

So what it comes down to is really: Would I get acceptable results by modelling just a bust, and then a suit to attach it to, or do I need to model the body and go the cloth route, bearing in mind what the animation will entail?

Oh, and thanks for the reply.

If anyone is curious about the project, I have a WIP thread here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=627723), though I haven't gotten much farther than the head so far, adn can't before I decide which way to go on the body. :)

L.

Arcanox
05-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Well I can see you're using Max, so really just stay away from cloth. It's a crazy system, I don't like it that much and you'll often spend a good amount of time fighting the simulation to get the result you want.

I would actually model the body in it's entireity to get a better idea of the proportions and the physique of the character. Naturally you won't have to spend much time mudboxing the areas that are not visible, so most of your time can be focused on the face. If you have the physique of the body worked out, I find that clothing will often adopt a much more natural fit for the character.

Additionally, I like to rig and work out the initial skin weighting with the actual body and figuring out all the deformation, then adding on clothes using skinwrap and then tweaking the weighting for the clothes. Once you've done this, just chop off the parts of the body that aren't seen to prevent any clipping and your character should be ready for animation.

Just keep the process simple without any crazy dynamics, especially for a project like this. You won't do too much fooling around with this workflow.

Lestat
05-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Well I can see you're using Max, so really just stay away from cloth. It's a crazy system, I don't like it that much and you'll often spend a good amount of time fighting the simulation to get the result you want.

I would actually model the body in it's entireity to get a better idea of the proportions and the physique of the character. Naturally you won't have to spend much time mudboxing the areas that are not visible, so most of your time can be focused on the face. If you have the physique of the body worked out, I find that clothing will often adopt a much more natural fit for the character.

Additionally, I like to rig and work out the initial skin weighting with the actual body and figuring out all the deformation, then adding on clothes using skinwrap and then tweaking the weighting for the clothes. Once you've done this, just chop off the parts of the body that aren't seen to prevent any clipping and your character should be ready for animation.

Just keep the process simple without any crazy dynamics, especially for a project like this. You won't do too much fooling around with this workflow.
Yeah, that sounds pretty sensible. I should probably go that route. I know of the skinwrap mod, but haven't used it - I'll have to do a few tests with some simple geometry.

L.

twedzel
05-27-2008, 03:14 AM
It depends on the quality level you want to go with. Cloth is a whole step up on every level in terms of time headache factor and just getting things to work properly than just rigging the clothes. Rigging cloth doesn't look as good if the cloth job is a good one, but all through production it is more predictable stable and less headachey and less of a time suck. Poorly simed cloth often looks worse than rigged clothing. So what I would say is sit down and ask yourself what is more important to you? If you look carefully in Pixars work (like the Incredibles) you will see many hero characters have full or partial cloth sims whereas some lesser characters clothes are all rigged.

nmcelmury
05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Cloth in max really isn't too difficult to grasp a hold of. Maybe it's not a great idea to learn it and apply it for a production, especially if there is a tight deadline, but I would highly recommend sitting down and taking a decent stab at learning it.

We use it here in our studio on nearly a daily basis (since we have figured it out ), and in all reality it isn't that difficult at all. :scream:

jayharwood
09-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi, I am really wanting to model in this technique, without the cloth modifer but I am struggling to find an good tutorials on modeling clothes, ie shirts, shoes, coats.

has anybody got any good tuts or tips to get me moving on this area?

Also I see some amazing 3D stills of characters that have great cloth textures andbumps I was wondering how they are created as well.

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2008, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.