PDA

View Full Version : Miraiīs like deformation

joie
05-16-2003, 09:53 AM
I was thinking of the best way of sculp deformations in character setup rigging. When I saw a Miraiīs video I saw how easy and funny was to pose an arm deformation for example, only moving some verts until the arm looks like you want (avoiding blendshaping).
Well, this can be done in MAYA but itīs a bit weird..., you have to know wich verts are you moving before you move them (and this is pretty dificult to know "a priori"), but you can know wich they are, now itīs time to key SDK them with armīs rotation and rotate it to 90š and begin retouching armīs shape to match the new position and key those verts again. This is a headache and time consuming, but you CAN do it.
The result file is enourmous and heavy so I was wondering if there is a way to do it with other tools or something...

Thankīs in advance!

muckywetnoodle
05-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Building a blendshape target and linking it to a joint rotation in Maya is the same thing. The thing that's nice in Mirai though is all your blendshapes (displacements) are baked into one model and you can update them any time you please (and even make changes to your model). It's also a 1 click process to link one to a joint rotation.

joie
05-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Yeah, itīs great, unlikely in MAYA you can finish with 1000 blendshapes for a very detailed model, one per crease or deformation... :(

muckywetnoodle
05-16-2003, 08:33 PM
O_o that's a lot of blendshapes. ;)

One option would be to build them externally and delete the reference shapes in your animation scene. For instance, since I can build and bake all my displacements in Mirai, I don't need the blendshape targets present in the Maya scene file. It would be interesting if anyone has some tips for a similar workflow in Maya.

joie
05-16-2003, 10:51 PM
nonononono, youīre right, thatīs the same workflow in MAYA, you make the blendshapes and then you delete them. The problem when youīve deleted them is (obviously) that you canīt tweak them (since you donīt have them). So, if you want to apply blendshapes and be able to tweak the shape they form (because you donīt know exactly how the look like when you model them), you have to retain those blendshapes until you got the shape you want, and that suppose lots of memory ussage...

muckywetnoodle
05-16-2003, 11:07 PM
What I do is build my blendshapes in Mirai, and then export as obj files. That way I can keep my blendshape info and still make tweaks and keep the animation scene less cluttered. I found a blendshape manager as well by Sebastian Woldanski (http://woold.w.interia.pl/eng.html).

Would creating a reference to a blendshape scene in Maya save any overhead? (Sorry, I am still learning.)

joie
05-18-2003, 12:57 AM
donīt think that work, but you could try...

jadamburke
05-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Deleting your blendshapes in Maya does not actually delete them from the scene. When you delete your original blendshape target, Maya will automatically create an intermediate duplicate Shape node that is hidden . Maya needs a shape node for everyone of your blendshape targets, without them it cannot work.

If you want to tweak your blendshapes after you deleted your originals you can use the hypergraph to find the intermediate shape nodes. Open the attribute editor for these nodes and under the display settings remove the check mark from the "Intermediate" check box. This will make the object visible again and you can further tweak your blendshape targets.

muckywetnoodle
05-19-2003, 04:13 AM
That's good info to know.

joie
05-19-2003, 08:17 AM
sure man!

wrend
05-19-2003, 10:01 AM
pretty sure that isnt the case ...the blendShape only stores the vector for the base pnts to get to the targets, if you happen to have the target mesh lying around, you can tweak them and the vector will update. but it doesnt need the meshes in the scene, thank rod.

there is nothing at all stopping you modelling your targets in an external app, and going back to it to tweak them, reimporting and subsitituting them for the old blend target (just dont fug with the pnt index ordering, just do pnt translation tweaks).

...to retrieve deleted target meshes from the blendShape, zero all target weights appart from the one of interest, which you set full at 1, and duplicate your base mesh to get an independent target mesh (sub for the old, and tweak on).

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.