PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
05-09-2008, 07:21 AM
CGSociety talked to a bunch of people working hard on the first Marvel-financed movie and we knew this one was going to be a ripper. This is one movie for the big screen.

Go click on the image to read the feature and please give us your comments.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/im_fp.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4510)

Mike RB
05-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Nice feature on Iron Man, congrats to all the ILM crew, great work on the Mark 2 and 3.

Furiaceka
05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
I saw the movie, great CGI, good mix with real things.

ILM it's the best in the world. Thanks ILM guys !

rorkijon
05-09-2008, 07:58 AM
to anyone who's not seen the movie yet, go now.
It's great fun, technically brilliant, the FX are completely subtle and you can't spot the compositing anymore I think since i-Robot.
Hope they do a sequel soon, it's defo one for my DVD collection.

Jon.

erilaz
05-09-2008, 08:06 AM
I love the quote about siggraph buzz words. :D

enzo80
05-09-2008, 09:39 AM
they didnt mention which 3d software they used for Modeling Iron-man

am guessing it must be 3ds max like they did for transformers

Pyke
05-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Blender man....all the big boys use blender.

Excellent article, and nice to hear about a directors different take on the VFX shots. Ive always thought that it t must be nice for a director to give more freedom to the artists and animators working on a project....just from the point of view of moral for the artists. I know for us, when we are given more freedom on a job, they are just more fun, and we tend to put that little extra into them.

doomtoo
05-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Cool! The movie was great, and I thought the CG was near flawless.

Thanks for the article!
So you know:
Spelling mistakein article- should be waist, not waste

"Marvel wanted the torso elongated, and the waste shrunk down, unlike true human proportions. "

enzo80
05-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Blender man....all the big boys use blender.

Excellent article, and nice to hear about a directors different take on the VFX shots. Ive always thought that it t must be nice for a director to give more freedom to the artists and animators working on a project....just from the point of view of moral for the artists. I know for us, when we are given more freedom on a job, they are just more fun, and we tend to put that little extra into them.

all your work was done in 3ds max does that mean your not a big boy yet :P

Pyke
05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Its true...I cry myself to sleep at night. :(

I dont think they used MAX for TF, or Ironman. I seem to remember a Blur video mentioning that ILM had the assets for TF in XSI. Wow...3 acronyms in one sentence!

catizone
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the great insights.

And "Hi" to Hal Hickel...great job...

Best,
Rick

jason-slab
05-09-2008, 04:41 PM
hey nice article

there was also talk on the XSI list about Modeling and rigging done in XSI for the movie, same goes for Transformers (http://www.benprocter.com/SITEv2/HTML/PROJPAGE_Trans_01.html)

jason

KarelVR
05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read !

I've read that they modeled the suits in XSI at Stan Winston (but don't know if those are the models they used at ILM).

Anyhow, grats to all involved with the production ! I've seen the film yesterday and it looked awesome!

Madadman
05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Nice Iron Man article. Learned a few things I didn't expect. But next time you guys might want to check for typos. There are a quite a few throughout this article.

WyattHarris
05-09-2008, 09:52 PM
So Marvel financed the movie and probably had a big hand in its production and it turns out to be one of the best comic adaptations on film. Anyone surprised by that?

frebell
05-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Iron Man Rules :bounce: :buttrock: really one of the best comic adaptations

tawfiq
05-09-2008, 10:53 PM
just see the movie trial and it seems very good one.

and for software used in transformers Autodesk maya and autodesk infreno not 3ds max no.
most of the production companies uses maya As their main program.

to see that maya is used in Transformers
check this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10129981&linkID=7679643

Apoclypse
05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
So Marvel financed the movie and probably had a big hand in its production and it turns out to be one of the best comic adaptations on film. Anyone surprised by that?

Not really. I think that if they hadn't went through the couple of very successful movie they did have that maybe the story would have been different, but now they know what needs to be done, they know how to draw talent to their projects since the talent is basically lining up for a payday, and they can get financing. Things are always better when you have people who actually care about the source material behind these things, otherwise you get pure crap like the 90's Captain America movie. It doesn't always work out that way though, Singer really was into Superman and still dropped the ball on that one.

I like the fact that Favreu gave them a lot of freedom, I can imagine there wasn't as much pixel-fscking going on in this project as there usually is. Everything looked amazing. It really was hard to tell the difference between the cg and prcatical suit, though in the article they said Downey didn't want to use the suit all that much.

STANER
05-10-2008, 12:46 AM
yes! definetly best comic adaptation movie:)

hmmmm...this have nothing to do with iron man but Im still waiting AVATAR from cameron:D

Xharthok
05-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Ok the brushed metal is not made with raytraced blurry reflections. But this was obvious from the Pictures and the Trailers. So what is it then? I'm guessing it's good old reflection mapping and reflection occlusion with some new fancy BRDF stuff. I still can't looking "through" the cool Compositing of ILM but the overall look is somewhat soft. Maybe it's the point based occlusion of Prman?

If anyone from ILM is accidentally reading this: At what insane shadingrate and pixelsamples you guys rendering? 0.000001 and 200x200? ;-)

Sorry for my English.

SpaXe
05-10-2008, 06:36 AM
I really have to say that it has been a while since I can enjoy a movie without thinking about effects past about half way through. For that I give out all the best props to anyone who's worked on this brilliant film!

stream3
05-10-2008, 08:40 PM
nice work on the Afghanistan sequence, you guys really make it hard to tell what is CG or not. I'd love to know which shots the practical suit was used, which shots were a mix, and which were pure CG.

Can't wait for the cinefex issue for a full breakdown on the vfx.

twedzel
05-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Not really. I think that if they hadn't went through the couple of very successful movie they did have that maybe the story would have been different, but now they know what needs to be done, they know how to draw talent to their projects since the talent is basically lining up for a payday, and they can get financing.

Marvel didn't have much to do with the actual production of the earlier movies. They licensed the characters to the film studios and the film studios made the movies and got the lions share of the profits. Ironman was the first movie made by Marvel. The upcoming Hulk feature will be their second. In this regard Marvel is very new to the game.

nice work on the Afghanistan sequence, you guys really make it hard to tell what is CG or not. I'd love to know which shots the practical suit was used, which shots were a mix, and which were pure CG.

If you are refering to the first Ironman sequence in Afghanistan, that work wasn't done by ILM. It was done by a Vancouver based studio Embassy Visual Effects.

stream3
05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
i was referring to the mark-III sequence in afghanistan

malducin
05-10-2008, 09:56 PM
i was referring to the mark-III sequence in afghanistan

I belive that was The Orphanage, but don't quot me on that.

richcz3
05-11-2008, 02:14 AM
I really have to say that it has been a while since I can enjoy a movie without thinking about effects past about half way through. For that I give out all the best props to anyone who's worked on this brilliant film!
QFA - Complete and very well done all the way around. I can only hope the next one is as good.

DDS
05-11-2008, 05:34 AM
hey Paul really nice article! I loved it :)

Congrats to ILM because they get their credit, once more, to an amazing movie (vfx AND the rest) :scream:

ritaisabel
05-11-2008, 03:39 PM
awesome.. i'm sure looking forward to watch this, seems to be pretty amazing from the trailer and good actors ^^

TheCheshireCat
05-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Great read, thanks for the article.

soulburn3d
05-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I dont think they used MAX for TF, or Ironman.

No idea on Ironman, but as for TF, I've heard stories about lots of different modelers being used (including Max, Maya, and XSI being used). With fbx and obj, it's pretty easy to move models around between apps, and so it's really easy to take models and even simple texturing and have it done in whatever package a particular artist wants to use.

- Neil

Pyke
05-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks Neil. ;)

I suppose with the way that software works today, moving between apps is just a matter of exporting.

jason-slab
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
No idea on Ironman, but as for TF, I've heard stories about lots of different modelers being used (including Max, Maya, and XSI being used). With fbx and obj, it's pretty easy to move models around between apps, and so it's really easy to take models and even simple texturing and have it done in whatever package a particular artist wants to use.

- Neil

yeah and thx to PC2 animation can be moved around pretty easily tooo!!

|js

BTW Fxguide has an article and podcast on Ironman
http://www.fxguide.com/article480.html

soulburn3d
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I suppose with the way that software works today, moving between apps is just a matter of exporting.

Well, for models I think we've reached that stage (or at least we're close, since procedural stuff still can't get transfered without baking out the results), but stuff like shaders, lighting, etc are notoriously tough to move. I'd love to see a day where stuff at any stage of the process can be moved around easily, but considering the divergent abilities and philosophies between many of the major 3d apps and rendering engines, I'm not sure that day will ever come.

- Neil

Johny
05-12-2008, 08:15 PM
ill admit i went with low expectations because i was like "oh this is the typical film over cgied with exagerated animations and unatural stuff that brings it all down" . I was wrong. Very wrong. Loved it, and i didnt even regret not beeing able to buy popcorn . thanks everyone that worked on the movie.

And now a weird fact in the credits i noticed lead hair stylish or something was michael moore , i laughed so loud.

AbedM
05-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Hello ppl
im new here, n this is my 1st post
I loved the review, the CG in it was amazing and really flawless, and im glad for once the story was almost close or atleast had the true roots of the comics.
only one little (stupid) comment, the fire compositing in the movie when he's escaping the terrorist camp, that looked fake..
but all in all, i love the review n love the movie and plan to be tony stark some day :P (dont we all?! *sigh*)

newmain
05-13-2008, 11:36 PM
it is really good movie - i think it is the best movie this year

but there is Just one visual effects was looked fake to me in lightining don't know

" when iron man grap the car "that one was has mom with there Childrens " from the other bad man it is ok
and the car starting to move and grap the ironman down with it and then ironman move it up with his hand when he was down it while it was moving
i seen it as a visual effects Not as a real Thing :) " just this One " don't know i feel that the composting in this #1 has a not matching and wrong environment lighting when he was down the car and up it with his hand

except that it was all real :)

Mike RB
05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Hello ppl
im new here, n this is my 1st post
I loved the review, the CG in it was amazing and really flawless, and im glad for once the story was almost close or atleast had the true roots of the comics.
only one little (stupid) comment, the fire compositing in the movie when he's escaping the terrorist camp, that looked fake..
but all in all, i love the review n love the movie and plan to be tony stark some day :P (dont we all?! *sigh*)

A lot of that fire was real and in the plate. The stuff we did add matched the real fire.

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.