PDA

View Full Version : TSUNAMI_Exploration/Challenge.

Nickolay411
05-09-2008, 06:35 AM
So here's the deal. The task at hand is to create a Tsunami (Breaking WAve) In a 3D ocean. Feel free to use any application. Let's see what we can accomplish by the end of this weekend. My choice of weapons MAX, PFLOW Toolbox 1 & 3 and Krakatoa. I'm lookin to achieve realism from the rise to break. Im talkin Surf's Up Quality. :)

cooperunionstud
05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
dude, you are asking for trouble!, I hope allan mckay is doesn't laugh his ass off. anyway, you know how it is, you want a war? i will give you a war, be prepared for battle. My choice of weapon, is 3d max, maya, pflow, realflow and vray.

lewistaylor
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm in. My tools are Max, Realflow, and some python scripting.
Bout time my quad core got used for something other than notepad.

Lewis

cooperunionstud
05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
boy o boy, i sure hope you guys are working

cooperunionstud
05-11-2008, 08:40 PM
alright guys, i am nearly done, now i am refining the simulation in realflow, hope you guys are working hard.

lewistaylor
05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I'm working :)

I decided against doing it surfs up style, and went straight ahead with RealFlow.
Having trouble with scripting the particles to pass onto another emitter after crashing.
This would make texturing the white wash a lot easier. Got an okay ocean shader working
but I am stumped as to how to create a material that I can control the white wash with,
hence the wanting to pass the crashed particles onto the second emitter, but retain the
motion of the original.

Lewis

cooperunionstud
05-12-2008, 03:50 AM
thats something i've been think about too, because you can't simply add an "transparency" material to the fluid and expect it to look like water. The splashing of the particles does create interesting problems. But i wonder if scripting is the way to do it. I assume you could write a script that controls the behavior post splash but for the average 3d artist, who relies on prewritten software to create effects, it might be too complex, nevertheless can't blame you for trying. I hope to see what you can come up with.

lewistaylor
05-12-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm only a student :) (and a self taught one at that).

The python script isn't going to be that complex, it's just how to
set up the conditions for the particles to qualify to be passed on.

Velocity or pressure would be the way to go, I just haven't spent
much time with python and RealFlow. Got okay skill in php, C++,
but that's not gonna help me here :(

Maybe a solution would be to use PFlow to birth particles on the surface
of the wave after a given time. Birth would start as the wave crashes and
the emission point is easy enough with UV mapping.

Hmmmm......

cooperunionstud
05-12-2008, 04:43 PM
i did some reasearch on surfs up, and it looks like they used a rig to controll the behavior of the wave, with the splashes done in as another pass. I am sure they used realflow at certain points in the movie, however for most of the big waves, the effect was done with geometry and rigs. So i think in order to replicate that its gonna have to be a rig.

lewistaylor
05-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I've got that 150mb pdf document from surfs up.
It's an awesome resource, and I've already made on in Max.

I want to do it in RealFlow though, just for the learning side
of things.

lewistaylor
05-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Will have a test render up soon

Lewis

lewistaylor
05-13-2008, 11:44 PM
So here's a quick and dirty test render. No whitewash yet or an animated material
that has proper reflections/refractions, and the mesh needs polish but meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKbhQxBVeJs

I'm actually going to scrap this one. The wave should build from a slow swell and then
start to form, and finally crest over and break. My wave pretty much appears straight
outta the water. Really going to sit down and figure this one completly so it looks
real from mutliple angles. The waveshape geometry has to be fixed and the vortex and
wind have to be tickled as well. Still keen to find maybe a texturing solution to the
whitewash question.

Lewis

cooperunionstud
05-14-2008, 04:02 AM
not bad, i am still waiting to post mine. Been staying late at work everyday. and no time to work on it

lewistaylor
05-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Tell me about it :)
I clock up a 12hr day as a mechanical engineer, come home and spend
3hrs with the wife and son, and maybe get 2hrs of study in. Kinda makes
fluid sims a bit hard. You do a quick test, all looks good, you fire off the sim
and bang! Well that looks crap doesn't it?
Maybe some remote access from work at lunch could be on the to do list.
Looking forward to what you come up with mate. By the way, your character
WIP is fresh.

Lewis

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2008, 06:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.