PDA

View Full Version : Gore Verbinski to direct Bioshock

SheepFactory
05-09-2008, 04:06 AM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117985365.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Gore Verbinski to direct 'Bioshock'
Universal bringing videogame to bigscreen

Universal and Gore Verbinski are going into "Bioshock."

Studio has signed a deal to turn last year's hit videogame, which won numerous awards and sold more than 2 million units worldwide, into a film.

The "Pirates of the Caribbean" helmer is attached to direct and produce. "Aviator" scribe John Logan is in talks to pen the screenplay.

"Bioshock" publisher Take-Two Interactive is getting a multimillion-dollar advance against gross points on the pic. It's believed to be the biggest videogame-to-movie deal since 2005, when U and Fox signed onto the since aborted "Halo" pic, for which Microsoft got $5 million against 10%.

Take-Two executive chairman Strauss Zelnick said the "state of the art" deal is structured so that "Bioshock" won't end up in turnaround like "Halo," which is back with Microsoft.

"The reason I structured it the way I did is to make sure it gets made," he emphasized.

"Bioshock" takes place in an underwater city based on the free market principles of Ayn Rand, but things have gone disastrously wrong. Players control a pilot who crash-lands at a secret entrance to the city, called Rapture, and is drawn into a power struggle during which he discovers that his will is not as free as he'd thought.

"I think the whole utopia-gone-wrong story that's cleverly unveiled to players is just brimming with cinematic potential," said Verbinski. "Of all the games I've played, this is one that I felt has a really strong narrative."

Take-Two has been approached by a number of producers and studios since the game came out in August but waited until it had swept most of the end-of-year industry awards and racked up impressive holiday sales before working with CAA to package the project. Universal got a first look and made a preemptive bid.

Zelnick, who was president of Fox in the early '90s, led the dealmaking for his company, rather than set the project up with a producer.

"One of the things we decided early on is that we didn't want to go through a producer," he commented. "It's terribly important to us to have a meaningful influence on how this project is produced. We didn't want any insulation between us."

Verbinski noted that Rapture's art deco design and visually arresting characters, such as the mechanical Big Daddys who protect genetically mutated girls called Little Sisters, particularly inspired him to see the game as a film.

Though no release date is even being targeted, Verbinski said he plans to start pre-production as soon as Logan's script is finished and approved by all involved.

Helmer has been regularly consulting with Ken Levine, the game's creative director, though it's not yet clear if the game developer will have a formal role in the film.

For Universal, project marks a return to the videogame space after the disastrous "Halo" experience. After more than a year of development, during which Peter Jackson was signed to exec produce and Neil Blomkamp to direct the "Halo" feature, U and Fox shut down the project over cost concerns.

"This deal gives Universal the opportunity to have the immersive, addictive universe of 'Bioshock' interpreted by a filmmaker with unrivaled abilities to convey story, action and large-scale, fantastical visuals," said U co-chairman David Linde.

Take-Two is developing a "Bioshock" sequel that will be released in 2009, almost certainly before the film comes out.

Though numerous videogames have been turned into movies and others are in the works, very few have been commercial or critical successes. Take-Two itself has turned down numerous attempts by Hollywood to option its Rockstar label's hit franchise "Grand Theft Auto." "Bioshock" marks the first movie deal ever for the publisher.

erilaz
05-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Well that's two pluses. Verbinski and a deal that makes sure Take Two's designers have a say in the production. Nice.

As always though, the game-to-film thing is always a slippery slope. Konami had a lot of creative control over the Silent Hill film, and look what happened to that. Great design, poor execution.

With Verbinski at the helm though, it's promising.

frogspasm
05-09-2008, 06:07 AM
I've got to disagree with you on Silent Hill. I loved it, and I know a lot of other people who did too. Not the best movie in the world, but a damned creepy good time.

I can't say the same for Pirates 3, though. It felt like everyone except the visual effects artists were phoning it in on that one. Besides that film, Gore's got a pretty good track record so I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

salmonmoose
05-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Well that's two pluses. Verbinski and a deal that makes sure Take Two's designers have a say in the production. Nice.

As always though, the game-to-film thing is always a slippery slope. Konami had a lot of creative control over the Silent Hill film, and look what happened to that. Great design, poor execution.

With Verbinski at the helm though, it's promising.

At least Bioshock has a story worthy of being a movie - I don't know if the whole 'Would you kindly" thing would work so well on a cinema audience if it's a 1:1 replication of the story. Although I imagine there are many stories that could be told around Rapture.

Solothores
05-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Finally, we are going deep ocean again! Yay! Always thought that it's a shame that not more movies try to explore stories in one of earth's last mysterious places to be.

As for a 1:1 story replication, I doubt that it is going to happen. The twists around Bioshock's story might have worked as the tension glue in a beautiful fps-exerience. But I doubt, that the whole narrative structure will work if experienced on a cinema screen, as it stands, which makes me curious what they will come up with, in that dep.

I just hope we won't go "modern", we won't get the "romantic interest" and we won't end-up with "teen-sidekick-canonfooder"

Cheers
S.

Lordiego01
05-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I never saw the appeal to BioShock. Maybe its because I only played the demo,which didn't interest me enough to even finish it. Sure the graphics were outstanding, but I didn't find anything fresh in terms of gameplay, and I absolutely hated the character design.

Maybe I'll GameFly it when it hits the PS3.

Artbot
05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Good choice for the dark, moodiness of the subject, I suppose, but GV can't pace a story to save his life. PotC3? Blech! And who taught him to never use kick or rim lighting? All his cinematography is so flat and dreary looking.

ThE_JacO
05-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Good choice for the dark, moodiness of the subject, I suppose, but GV can't pace a story to save his life. PotC3? Blech! And who taught him to never use kick or rim lighting? All his cinematography is so flat and dreary looking.

Yes, he did fumble potc3 (no idea who's fault it was but it was pretty disappointing) and he's responsible for "the mexican", but he also directed very well paced, if somewhat simple, character and storyline development.

PotC1 was good, PotC2 was great if a bit too much of an action movie, The Weather Man was a good movie and the ring was pretty good considering what he was adapting and for what market.

I like his work and for what little I know of the man I like his attitude toward film-making too.
Regardless, a game that was storyline and atmosphere based makes it to the cinemas with a decent budget and not directed by Uwe "I'm the only genius in this industry" Boll. This is something to celebrate.

spurcell
05-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Damn, I guess I better get on that retro, art deco, bioshock inspired, project I've been wanting to start, before it gets all too overdone and blase.

Artbot
05-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Yes, he did fumble potc3 (no idea who's fault it was but it was pretty disappointing) and he's responsible for "the mexican", but he also directed very well paced, if somewhat simple, character and storyline development.

PotC1 was good, PotC2 was great if a bit too much of an action movie, The Weather Man was a good movie and the ring was pretty good considering what he was adapting and for what market.

I like his work and for what little I know of the man I like his attitude toward film-making too.
Regardless, a game that was storyline and atmosphere based makes it to the cinemas with a decent budget and not directed by Uwe "I'm the only genius in this industry" Boll. This is something to celebrate.

Also directed "Moustrap", one of the 2 movies I've ever walked out on. Seems to be batting about 500. But respect is certainly due to someone who can pull together 3 hugely complicated pirate movies, and make at least one of them good.

vfx fan
05-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I wonder who Verbinski will consult to do the effects or if he'll have any power in making that decision?

This sounds interesting. And I liked Silent Hill. While it was far from perfect, it was a step in the right direction as far as video game movies go.

Now I just wish they'd make a quality Half-Life movie and a quality Doom reboot, complete with the opening-the-gates-of-Hell themes as opposed to the science-experiment-gone-haywire in the abysmal 2005 flick, whose only redeeming quality was its unique first-person shooter sequence.

And I was looking forward to the prospect of someone making a three-hour Grand Theft Auto movie, complete with ragdoll physics much like what was in both the GTA III trilogy and Speed Racer, thereby making a game based on movie cliches more visually original -- visual originality is important to me, which is why I loved Speed Racer.

malducin
05-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Count me as well as someone who also really liked Silent Hill, a superior horror film for that year. I've enjoyed most of Verbinski's films, except for The Weather Man (and Michael Caine made that watchable as always). So with Verbinski involved I can hope that at least the film will be watchable.

vfx fan
05-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I wonder if ILM could get the job for doing the effects for BioShock? Verbinski worked with them on the Pirates films, but I don't know how much control he had over that decision, but based on the Pirates sequels, I'd say that he's under the addictive influence of CGI to get carried away with it, for better or for worse. But I'd say that a CG film-quality Big Daddy could be the next step in the kind hard-surface rendering laid forth by Transformers and then Iron Man.

The video game movie I didn't see yet was Hitman. I'm trying to resist watching any movies until I can get a Blu-Ray player. Although I heard the movie was reasonably above average (the video game hater Roger Ebert gave it three starts out of four).

Chemix
05-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Here's to good luck, though it's going to be a feat taller than Everest to get right, because what made Bioshock really shine was that moment where you realised that you were controled. Gore hasn't shown that much tact for building tension (though Silent Hill had some good attempts, the tension for this needs to build throughout the entire film)

Slightly off topic- if they do ever make a Half Life film, I'd like to see it based in the Half Life 2 period and from the perspective of a civie that joins Civil Protection, with Freeman becoming almost a monster from the Combine perspective. It'd be interesting to get another view, but I'm diverging too much so...

vfx fan
05-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Slightly off topic- if they do ever make a Half Life film, I'd like to see it based in the Half Life 2 period and from the perspective of a civie that joins Civil Protection, with Freeman becoming almost a monster from the Combine perspective. It'd be interesting to get another view, but I'm diverging too much so...

I have to disagree. I always wanted to see a Half-Life where Gordon travels the tram through the Black Mesa. Imagine all the awesome miniatures that would likely be used. I always loved that part of Half-Life. It made the Black Mesa seem more homey. Excellent potential there in the miniature effects department.

I think it a Half-Life movie is made, David Fincher, James Cameron, or Ridley Scott should direct. That would be bliss.

Slightly off topic: If Rockstar ever changes its mind to make a Grand Theft Auto movie, Paul Verhoeven would be ideal...and he should make it into a three-hour epic filled with hookers getting gratuitously cooked with Molotov cocktails and mangled with chainsaws. It would also be awesome to have Ed Neumeier to write the screenplay -- that way the film could have little intermissions of satirical commercials (as depicted in the game), a la Robocop and Starship Troopers.

simoncheng
05-11-2008, 10:42 AM
finally the day has come.

Chemix
05-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I have to disagree. I always wanted to see a Half-Life where Gordon travels the tram through the Black Mesa. Imagine all the awesome miniatures that would likely be used. I always loved that part of Half-Life. It made the Black Mesa seem more homey. Excellent potential there in the miniature effects department.

That's interesting from an FX point of view, but it's hard to get around the fact that it's an alien invasion from another dimension in the form of brute force with zombies, aliens, and face huggers (ok, head humpers, but they still produce something of the host, albiet zombies are a lot less terrifying than xenomorphs). There would be very little to stop it from becoming a Resident Evil type film or survival horror story. HL2 has more things that can be done with the story and has quite some grand moments. The original train sequence was on a Razor train that goes across the vast, transformed, world, and everntually encounters a Garg, and proves the point of the Razor train, by slicing through it.

P_T
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
I hope they gonna have plenty of those 20s/30s music for a soundtrack. That kind of music are just so damn creepy in a deserted place.

vfx fan
05-11-2008, 04:34 PM
That's interesting from an FX point of view, but it's hard to get around the fact that it's an alien invasion from another dimension in the form of brute force with zombies, aliens, and face huggers (ok, head humpers, but they still produce something of the host, albiet zombies are a lot less terrifying than xenomorphs). There would be very little to stop it from becoming a Resident Evil type film or survival horror story. HL2 has more things that can be done with the story and has quite some grand moments. The original train sequence was on a Razor train that goes across the vast, transformed, world, and everntually encounters a Garg, and proves the point of the Razor train, by slicing through it.

But Half-Life would be a survival horror movie with style -- that's what would separate it from Resident Evil. It would have plenty more CG characters and my vision for it would have actors who could really act, such as Edward Norton as Gordon Freeman (Gordon can't get away without speaking in a Half-Life movie), Morgan Freeman as Eli Vance (no Gordon and Morgan Freeman jokes, please), and Robin Williams or Gary Oldman as the G-Man. And rather than a rock soundtrack composed by Marilyn Manson like in Resident Evil, it would have a classical soundtrack, bringing about a Kubrick-like aura of irony.

I think that if Half-Life is made into a big-budget survival horror film that also seems big-budget (unlike films such as Hollow Man), then it could be great. Plus, a Half-Life movie inspired by the first game also creates the opportunity for a Xen world on the big screen! :drool:

And besides, if a Half-Life 2 movie is made, then there would be little stopping it from being another Resident Evil: Apocalypse. ;)

vfx fan
05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I hope they gonna have plenty of those 20s/30s music for a soundtrack. That kind of music are just so damn creepy in a deserted place.

Amen. This game is what got me into the likes of Bobby Darin.

I wonder if they'll get the same composer for the game to score the movie?

Wizdoc
05-11-2008, 10:31 PM
The Ring, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mouse Hunt. All are stylish, smart and fun movies. Verbinski is the perfect guy for the job.

I'm surprised the Pirates sequels turned out to be as good as they did, considering the mess of a production it was. I don't think the director can be solely blamed on that.

Chemix
05-12-2008, 04:09 AM
But Half-Life would be a survival horror movie with style -- that's what would separate it from Resident Evil. It would have plenty more CG characters and my vision for it would have actors who could really act, such as Edward Norton as Gordon Freeman (Gordon can't get away without speaking in a Half-Life movie), Morgan Freeman as Eli Vance (no Gordon and Morgan Freeman jokes, please), and Robin Williams or Gary Oldman as the G-Man. And rather than a rock soundtrack composed by Marilyn Manson like in Resident Evil, it would have a classical soundtrack, bringing about a Kubrick-like aura of irony.

I think that if Half-Life is made into a big-budget survival horror film that also seems big-budget (unlike films such as Hollow Man), then it could be great. Plus, a Half-Life movie inspired by the first game also creates the opportunity for a Xen world on the big screen! :drool:

And besides, if a Half-Life 2 movie is made, then there would be little stopping it from being another Resident Evil: Apocalypse. ;)

Another part of it is, when we're watching a movie about a game, and our character has simplistic actions (kill this, pull that, run here, do that), it comes down to watching someone else play through the game.

Besides, Half Life's potential would be wasted on a survival horror setting.

FreakWizz
05-12-2008, 06:54 AM
I only just played and finished the game at full 1900x1200 PC with the sound turned up, a month back. And it was definitely the most atmospheric of the games for quite some time.
Voices, SoundFX and some nice story lines, combined with a fluid gameplay made it quite a decent experience.

I was hoping a movie would be made, because i could kind of see my own screenplay adaption done in my head. Some of the characters and events that take place could really work in the cinema. The story lines and issues that faced rapture and it's people could really work well for some interesting and thought provoking direction and fx.

Of course Videogames based on movies, and movies based on videogames never work, so let's hope BioShock manages to be the exception to the rule.

ajcgi
05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
woohoo! My favourite game of last year and definitely one of my all time favourites. Could be a great opportunity. The story kept me going through Bioshock. I'm not a huge fps fan apart maybe from halo3 multiplayer and Bioshock was the first I actually completed so I'm kind of fond of it.

So many disturbing moments... it could attract some attention, especially regarding the little sisters.

P_T
05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
woohoo! My favourite game of last year and definitely one of my all time favourites. Could be a great opportunity. The story kept me going through Bioshock. I'm not a huge fps fan apart maybe from halo3 multiplayer and Bioshock was the first I actually completed so I'm kind of fond of it.If you don't mind the graphic and sound, I suggest pickin up the old System Shock 1&2. You might be able to download the first game as abandonware and buy the second one as one of those cheap platinum series from EB.

You'll see how far ahead of their time those games were, seeing as a lot of Bioshock features were taken from those games.

Speaking of which... I would've loved to see System Shock on the big screen. We haven't had any great cyberpunk film since the first Matrix.

vfx fan
05-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Another part of it is, when we're watching a movie about a game, and our character has simplistic actions (kill this, pull that, run here, do that), it comes down to watching someone else play through the game.

Besides, Half Life's potential would be wasted on a survival horror setting.

What if it was done like Alien? I hardly think that was a wasted concept, and it was, in essence, a survival horror film. Granted, Gordon Freeman couldn't get away with not speaking in a movie version. The great thing about his character is that I can imagine what he's like -- I imagine him as a sort of Dr. House-type character. Right now I'm speculating how he would be able to interact with the G-Man so that it would be acceptable in movie form.

And for what it's worth, the same can be said about the main character in BioShock, unless the plan for the movie is to make it a prequel to the game.

And aren't they making a Condemned movie under a different name? (I don't know about you, but Condemned: Criminal Origins was the scariest game I've ever played. Still haven't played Condemned: Blooshot yet.)

I also think the SiN games have great big-budget futuristic action sci-fi comedy potential.

KOKE
05-13-2008, 12:05 AM
They will probably ruin it, but I think the game coluld make a really nice movie.
Most of the story can be used, but probably you would need to change some stuff in order to make it more suitable for the cinematic language.

I cant hardly wait to see all those awesome environments on ultra high res and on a cinema screen :drool:, Bioshock had one of the best atmospheres I have seen in a game.
I was not a fan of some of the enemy design though, except for the Big daddies, those guys kicked @ss!.

JK.

:D.

Chemix
05-14-2008, 12:33 PM
What if it was done like Alien? I hardly think that was a wasted concept, and it was, in essence, a survival horror film. Granted, Gordon Freeman couldn't get away with not speaking in a movie version. The great thing about his character is that I can imagine what he's like -- I imagine him as a sort of Dr. House-type character. Right now I'm speculating how he would be able to interact with the G-Man so that it would be acceptable in movie form.

And for what it's worth, the same can be said about the main character in BioShock, unless the plan for the movie is to make it a prequel to the game.

And aren't they making a Condemned movie under a different name? (I don't know about you, but Condemned: Criminal Origins was the scariest game I've ever played. Still haven't played Condemned: Blooshot yet.)

I also think the SiN games have great big-budget futuristic action sci-fi comedy potential.

If it was done like alien, then you have the issue of being too much like alien and coming off like a distorted rip off with high quality standards. It might not be a bad film, but I think it would stab any chances of a Half Life 2 film to death, which is where I feel they could show the most ranges of emotion and interaction.

As for Bioshock, yes, it's... similar, though I think that they are definitely going to need to introduce some characters that Jack (the player) meets up close and personal without the intent to kill them beforehand. Not nescessarily a love interest either, as the game pushed for more of a father role than a husband or boyfriend role. Jack however, does speak, in the game, just very rarely.

Bioshock has some points that make it shine very brightly, more than I can say for Half Life 1 as it's bright shining point is at the begginning and the end.

vfx fan
05-15-2008, 03:58 AM
If it was done like alien, then you have the issue of being too much like alien and coming off like a distorted rip off with high quality standards. It might not be a bad film, but I think it would stab any chances of a Half Life 2 film to death, which is where I feel they could show the most ranges of emotion and interaction.

Half-Life could be done like Alien and Half-Life 2 could be done like Aliens, then -- vaguely, of course. ;) (Actually, I always felt Half-Life was a horror story while Half-Life 2 was an action-adventure story, so it pretty much echoes Alien and Aliens, respectively). I don't think we could completely get away with the Alien overtones in a Half-Life movie, since they are very similar ideas, but this would more expand upon a formula. I have some really neat ideas for a Half-Life movie, but it's just so hard for me to express them in words.

Speaking of video game movies, I think Far Cry would have been an ideal project for Stephen Sommers -- a man who makes fun movies that refuse to take themselves seriously. I always felt Far Cry had great movie potential much in the vein of The Mummy and The Mummy Returns -- a cocky action hero confronted by a whole army of Trigens.

I'm talking about the Far Cry I made in my own little fantasy world, where Brendan Fraser would play Jack Carver. Alas, in reality, Uwe Boll will butcher even this concept.

Chemix
05-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Think about the new angles of the half life universe that could be shown through someone that experienced the portal storms, the chaos, the coming of the Combine (Citadels hurtling down from the skies and causing nuke like explosions due the force of their impact), and then the character becoming civil protection out of weakness, to escape persecution, and end up as a persecutor. Then only seeing glimpses of Gordon and hearing dreadful tales of the Free-man and his wake (he walks into an area, and the troops there... die, hearing about squads and teams and divisions and choppers being taken down by a random guy, is just plain scary). To me, that has more appeal as both a horror film, and an adventure film.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2008, 02:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.