PDA

View Full Version : First 7 minutes of Speed Racer

RobertoOrtiz
05-08-2008, 08:53 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/speedracer.html?showVideo=1

whalerider
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
The race looked a lot better than the (simpler) scene before it. The whole environment outside the school felt fake/projected.

mushroomgod
05-08-2008, 09:27 PM
if it has a REALLY good story I may go and watch it. But after watching that clip I now have next to no intrest in it at all, I thought it looked pretty bad.

KOKE
05-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow that looked pretty bad in my opinion..... and the school exterior was horrible.
I know its an stylistic option but I dont really think it helps me feel inside a cartoon.

For this kind of racing I wish they made a film based on the Wipeout games. That would be cool!.;)

JK.

:D

Marlonnowe
05-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow... that was so not good. But my 2 year old will love this... I'm not kidding. And he'll love Cars 2 as well.

M

richcz3
05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I've gone from this is going to be a "turkey" to actually believing they may do something right with it. It looks like there's going to be allot of stylized segueway sequences. Although its PG I think they are keying in on younger teens and kids.

I'd agree with whalerider - that outdoor school scene looked weak. The look of an early 90's console side scroller at best. Should be interesting to see how the whole movie holds up.

Dias
05-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I'd like to know audience target this movie is aspiring for. If it's under15, I guess it's ok, otherwise I can't see how this movie can succeed (I mean on large scale). :shrug:

SalvadorRuizJr
05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I liked every bit of it...

ThE_JacO
05-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Without wanting to take anything away from the technical and production accomplishment:
Wow, that's seven minutes of my life I want back.
It might be a style choice, but the art direction looks like a 12 old on a bad trip did it bar the naivety and innocence of actual childish design.

SheepFactory
05-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, that's seven minutes of my life I want back.

6 minutes of mine, gave me a headache and never made it to 7.

Condolences to anyone who has to sit through 2 hours of that. Try not to sit on the front row.

DDS
05-09-2008, 03:23 AM
I like the looks of it, I'll definitely go...for old times :P

grantrl78
05-09-2008, 03:34 AM
I haven't seen such bad acting by a kid since episode one. It is hard to believe they would have the first scene in such an expensive movie rest on the shoulders of such a bad actor. Also the car physics is horrible. There is a better sense od speed in your average viddeo game. Huge let down. :-(

R10k
05-09-2008, 05:22 AM
I usually don't watch these kinds of promos, but after all the complaining I had to ;)

Going from the standard low-res yahoo player to one of the HD res quicktimes makes a huge difference to the movie presentation. Some parts that looked like rubbish on the low-res looked quite nice on the quicktime. Anyway, I think the only real issue I saw was the lack of solid consistency. Some parts were ultra-cartoon, while the indoor shots looked less so. The race also didn't look that cartoony either, but they seemed to be suggesting a comical world with the content. I'm sure the full movie will establish things more, and no-doubt push the comic world appearance more.

One thing's for sure- kids (especially boys) are going to love this movie to bits. It looks like a movie version of Speed Racer, with every bit of the original cartoon's cheese factor. I really wanted to keep watching that race until the end, so that's a pretty good sign for me I'll get a kick out of it :)

FallenSwordsman
05-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Well that looked....awful. The whole school thing seemed to be reminiscent of Calvin and Hobbes - the lack of attention and the whole imagination running wild in class. This could almost be the opening scene for a Spaceman Spiff film as well. I never quite got the whole "Its good to be dumb, kids" message either.

As for the racing....did they go down a Chinese restaurant for their inspiration - the cars, to me, seemed like noodles going round a wok.

Methinks this is one for the kids.

R10k
05-09-2008, 07:44 AM
...the lack of attention and the whole imagination running wild in class.

That sounds like every kid I've ever met... and most adults too. That's where the idea for Calvin's attention span issues came from.

I never quite got the whole "Its good to be dumb, kids" message either.

Forgetting for a moment this is 7 minutes and not the whole film, didn't his brother did say something about how he should be studying?

...the cars, to me, seemed like noodles going round a wok.

Most random comment of the year right there ;)

j83
05-09-2008, 08:48 AM
I think it'll be a hit with the kids.

jason-slab
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
sorry but,
i'm def not going to waste my cash on going to see this, and i won't even bother to get it out on dvd..

js

Ilive
05-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't think even the kids will make this movie a success.

I mean Speed Racer the cartoon was fun and I think they could have done something with it, but this cheesy crap look is not working for me.

Budget$120 million

Seriously 120 Million dollars to make it look cheap? Honestly they should have just paid Robert Rodriguez to make it for 1/4 of that and make it look the same.

I mean is it just me or does it look more like Spy Kids 3d which only took 38 Million dollars to make.

Spy Kids
Budget$38,000,000

I'm all about taking risks but not at the expense of others. Cause if this fails they will close the doors on more opportunities.

I mean did this movie really need 120 Million dollars to make?
This is probably going to tank.

That is just my opinion though. I'll guess we'll find out next week.
I say 40 million opening weekend.

P_T
05-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I mean did this movie really need 120 Million dollars to make? Look at the main cast... John Goodman, Susan Sarandon, Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci... Those aren't exactly unknown actors and Emile himself is still fresh from Into The Wild success.

I like the visual style of the film. Instead of going for the gritty more realistic adaptation like others have done recently, the Brothers chose to go with the more colourful and cartoony style which is closer to the trippy 60s cartoon.

BigPixolin
05-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I can't beleive how terrible that is.

It looks exactly like spy kids.

Ilive
05-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Look at the main cast... John Goodman, Susan Sarandon, Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci... Those aren't exactly unknown actors and Emile himself is still fresh from Into The Wild success

Not exactly box office draws though. All recognizable but I don't think folks go to a film to see John Goodman and Susan Sarandon.

Emile is coming off of a great semi indie film which cost 15 million dollars to make but this is a totally differant role and more for kids.

I don't see any kids saying "Daddy that is Emile he was in that Sean Penn movie, I want to see it"

For a 120 Million dollar movie you get Will Smith, Bradd Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Shai Lebouf, Hannah Montana or some other big names that sell movie tickets.

Not one of th0se current actors could sell a movie based on their name alone so I doubt they were even paid that much.

I'm thinking along the way they wasted money jsut getting this to the drawing board. From paying Vince Vaughn to Keanu Reeves to not act in the movie.

For that matter Robert Rodriguez's Sin City had some big actors.

Clive Owen (children of men, Borne Identity)
Jessica Alba (need we say more)
Bruce Willis (again need we say more)
Rosario Dawson
Michael Clarke Duncan (Green Mile, Daredevil, Scorpion King)
Alexis Biedel( coming right off of Gilmore Girls, the Travelling Pants)
Devon Aoki (right out of Fast and Furious 2)
Benicio Del Toro (plenty of critically acclaimed movies)
Brittney Murphy (she was on a few critically acclaimed movies herself)
Elijah Wood (he's freakin Froto)

Pretty much 100% CG backgrounds. Total cost 40,000.000.
For 120,000,000 dollars you better get something that looks better than Spy Kids 3d.

I'm just saying this movie looks like a big waste of money and it still might be. It doesn't look worth watching. Even if the movie itself is good, from what I've seen the graphics are still left wanting. I'll wait to see it on DVD I guess.

I think they had the right idea wanting to experiment as this opens the ways for others, that is if it doesn't fail. I just think they should have done something slightly differant not something that looks like a video game cut scene.

RyanBarrett
05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I saw a sneek of this last weekend. Horrible. Just plain bad. Hard to believe their target audience is kids with the rubbish long-winded dribble that goes on between race sequences. If the whole movie was just 1 hour of racing eye-candy, I'd give it a thumbs up. Its way too long for the story that was poorly told, and everything but the race scenes was incredibly difficult to watch, its that bad.

If you're a fan of the cartoon and someone else is paying for your ticket, go and see it if you like epileptic seizure inducing visuals... otherwise, stay far far away.

Marlonnowe
05-09-2008, 10:40 PM
... well that wraps up this thread, haha :)

DuttyFoot
05-10-2008, 02:01 AM
i wouldn't even waste my time or money to go see this.

cresshead
05-10-2008, 02:57 AM
i liked spykids 3d..so i'll rent this on dvd once it's out in the u.k
i don't watch many films at the cinema anymore.

R10k
05-10-2008, 03:43 AM
It's not surprising most people are having a whine about the movie on here, considering how much whining there was about the original cartoon when this was first announced. The cartoon was popular, and I think the movie will too considering it's the same thing in movie form.

ephemeralfilm
05-10-2008, 12:14 PM
It looks pretty.

paulo3d
05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I seriously doubt that scene after the school is a finalized scene, with the washout lighting and dead and dull backgrounds, specially against the racing scene which looked great.

IŽll wait to see it tonight before passing any judgement on this.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Boone
05-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Definitely a kids film but its let down by some mis-cast actors. Susan Saradon and the young kid are perfect( their lively expressions fit the film) but of the others just dont seem as "animated" - the guy warning him about the bend(or whatever) is about as enthusiastic about his role as a Lemming about to leap off a cliff. Could we not have someone like Mickey Rooney instead?

Also, the dialogue seems a bit crap too. I mean what Teacher refers to their student as "Speed Racer"? If this is what most of the film is going to be like then it needs real heavy weight talent such as Susan Saradon and John Goodman!

byujr
05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I saw the whole movie this weekend, and my kids and I liked. Ok it has its weaknesses, but it is very stylized and I suppose meant to be that way.

So if your idea of a good time is sipping tea, eating cucumber sandwiches, while watching the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice; then maybe this movie is not for you, but otherwise you might find it is just a fun kids summertime movie.

Howitzer
05-12-2008, 08:28 PM
It does look fun, and has already made 20 million as of May 11th. Granted, it's no Iron Man but I wouldn't mind watching it.

Ilive
05-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I think the timing and look of the movie killed it.

Yes I'm sure tons of kids would love this movie and would have fun watching it, problem is across the hall at the same theatre is "IRON MAN." We knew that one was a tough one to beat.

For most Marvel Main characters the box office has obliterated with these characters.
Spiderman -Spiderman 3 we are talking in the 100,000,000 the first weekend.
Xmen-Xmen 3 70-90s opening weekend
Hulk 70 million opener
And the list goes on.

They have had a strong opening for Marvel super heroes.

Then you pull out Iron Man, fx laden, funny catchy lead superhero.

Speed could not compete with that.

Then some idiot descided to put it a week after Iron Man and a week before Prince Caspian and 2 weeks before Indiana Jones.

Who was smoking what that weekend?

Speed died even before it hit the starting line. I want to know who this idiot was so I can get his job after he is fired for making this dumb descision.

I mean if I had kids which one would I go see? It wouldn't be Speed Racer.

The Look of the film, well looked CHEAP. Despite not being cheap to make it looked cheap. Like they paid good money to make it look like a video game cut scene. I guess like folks buying faded, ugly designer jeans to have that old tattered look.
I'm sorry, but we mentioned it before. SPY KIDS 3d! It wasn't that special of a look. I might give it a chance at Imax if it comes this way.

Daniel-B
05-12-2008, 10:57 PM
I mean what Teacher refers to their student as "Speed Racer"?

His first and last names are "Speed", and "Racer", respectively. It would be no different than my teacher refering to me as "Daniel Broadway" That is my name. Likewise, "Speed Racer" is his.

Boone
05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
His first and last names are "Speed", and "Racer", respectively. It would be no different than my teacher refering to me as "Daniel Broadway" That is my name. Likewise, "Speed Racer" is his.

LOL. I just cannot fathom how his parents would call him "Speed Racer" at birth.

avinashlobo
05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I personally think that there's painstaking effort gone into the reconstruction of the spirit of the original series. The rapid speech, the goofy smiles, the obvious dialogue, the crazy camera zooms, the totally unrealistic car handling, the warp speed backgrounds, etc. - all Speed Racer gold. Some of the comments here are laughable - stuff about the child actor being bad. Looked pretty spot on to me in the context of the series.

I'm no fan of the Speed Racer franchise (in fact I don't even like it), but the dedication to remaining faithful to the original vision is apparent, whilst simultaneously bringing it up to speed with the latest in vfx.

People out here expecting mainstream popcorn seem to think otherwise. Shame on the filmmakers for following their own artistic vision I guess.

Kai01W
05-13-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm no fan of the Speed Racer franchise (in fact I don't even like it), but the dedication to remaining faithful to the original vision is apparent, whilst simultaneously bringing it up to speed with the latest in vfx.

People out here expecting mainstream popcorn seem to think otherwise. Shame on the filmmakers for following their own artistic vision I guess.

If you are faithfully adapting trash its still trash, no?

-k

aesir
05-13-2008, 10:02 AM
and if youre a german you must be a nazi right?

Gingerhammer
05-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I think most of you have been staring too long at too much detail (fully understandable tho). Need to step back and enjoy once in a while. I just saw the movie at the weekend with my 6-year-old son. We loved it. Sure it's got it's weak points and can be pulled apart by unnecessary scrutiny as with most movies - but wow! what a rush! It was like stuffing myself with sugary foods but stopping before the point of sickness. Great fun and a job well done. I don't remember ever being on such a rich, fast-paced visual pleasure ride! I'm sure you'll all hate it so save your money. haha!

avinashlobo
05-13-2008, 11:11 AM
If you are faithfully adapting trash its still trash, no?

-kI'd say that that's purely subjective (it being trash). Fans of the series (and a couple of Wachowski's) might disagree. Also, by your definition Kill Bill 1 and Grindhouse must automatically be garbage, right?

Apologies for the digression. As this has potential to degrade into a bit of a flame, I shan't pursue the topic any more. If you must rant about the film, please feel free to continue.

Kai01W
05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I'd say that that's purely subjective (it being trash). Fans of the series (and a couple of Wachowski's) might disagree. Also, by your definition Kill Bill 1 and Grindhouse must automatically be garbage, right?

Huh? I haven't seen the movie nor the original tv show, so I don't have an opinion about it. I was refering to your statement that sounded alot like a faithful adaption of some material is a virtue on its own, which I disagree with.

and if youre a german you must be a nazi right?

? Thinking before posting helps alot.

-k

Intervain
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
well it looked like a box of rainbow coloured bon bons or the laser IMAX experience intro... very kitchy... might be a fun experience on a proper screen though

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.