PDA

View Full Version : JORGE RIG v1.0

Leanndro
05-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Hi everyone, i'm here to show you a new rig i did to study animation and riging. This is my first full rig and i learned a lot.
Looking forward to your comment and feedback to correct any bug that i didn't saw.

Requirements: PEN_Attribute_Holder 2 - http://www.paulneale.com/scripts.htm
3ds max 2008

Jorge v.1.1 Changes:
- Bug fixes on spine and leg's swivel
- Fixed some skin issues
- Now you can change the name "Jorge" under the character and the name of the Main UI will become the same.
- If the Face UI is unhide it's keeps unhide when you change from LOW to HIGH Version.

Jorge v1.0 Features:

</p>

Name Independence which means that you can merge many rigs and rename any object you want.
Low Version of Jorge
Some Boneīs Axis Order was changed to prevent Gimbal Lock.
All Rig is Zero Frezed, so you can select any object and set Transform to Zero. It also prevent the Gimbal Lock issue.
Only necessary tracks ares keyable
Save, Copy, Paste and Reset Poses on CA in Jorge_Main_Control
Float Jorge UI on CA in Jorge_Main_Control:

Easy select controls
Key, Auto Key, Set Key
Select All
Low Model and High Model
TURBOSMOOTH 0,1,2,3
Turn ON/OFF Sihouette
Hide/Unhide Face UI, Controls and Secondary Controls
Set Facial Camera to current Viewport
Reset Selected Secondary Controls and Reset All Secondary Controls
- Facial Rig UI:

Save, Copy, Paste and Reset your Facial Expression on CA
Pupil Size on eye controls
Hide/unhide ear controls
Eyes: Viewline Lenght and Viewline Lenght Absolute on Eye_Ctrlīs CA

Arms:

Switch and Match IK/FK
Twist Bones on Arms
IK Stretch direct from controlers
Negative Stretch
Secondary controls
Fingers:

Friendly Curl control and individual fingers controls.
Save, Copy, Paste and Reset Poses
Spine:

Spline IK and FK Controls
Secondary Controls
Legs:

IK Leg
IK Stretch direct from controlers
Negative Stretch
CA on FootPlataform with foot controls
Save, Copy, Paste and Reset Poses
Tips:

If you have many characters in the scene you can change Jorge_Main_Controlīs name, so the name of the Main UI changes too for best recognize which character youīre animating.
You can select all fingers in the Main UI and curl all fingers together.
You can hide all controls and select what you want from the Main UI.
The folder &quot;Jorge UI&quot; must be in the same folder of the Jorgeīs Max file.

This is my first rig. I did this only to practice rig and animation. Donīt use it for commercial work. If you use it to practice animation donīt forget to credit me for the rig.

Thanks to:

-Fabio &quot;Mussarela&quot; for all support.
-Fernando Jorge, for some great ideas.
-Manuel Sierra for some ideas that i saw on his awesome &quot;Dee Rig&quot;
-Paul Neale for share his knowledge on the internet community.
-Maxscriptīs Help

LINK: JORGE RIG v1.1 (http://www.fantochestudio.com/jorge/JORGE_RIG_v1.1.rar)

Thanks,
Leanndro Amorim

PEN
05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Nice work, You have done a lot with this character. Still some things not working, like reset all and I don't like the way you need to select a different control for each finger. A bit of a pain when posing the hand. You need more geo in the arms to get a better twisting action as well. I love the UI, very well done.

S-S
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Leanndro!

Definitely a nice one. I always like to see how people do things. I'm building something bit similar myself too currently, but it's not ready yet.

One thing i noticed:
Pressing "Low" hides facial UI, but pressing "High" doesn't bring it back, i don't know if this was intentional but to me it feels like it could just pop back?

There isn't actually too many free rigs to animate / study from for Max, so this is a nice addition.

Leanndro
05-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi Paul, Itīs a pleasure to have your feedback!
Whatīs the controller that Reset all isnīt working? I checked the fingers, foot, expressions and pose(Main_Ctrl) and everything looks fine. Maybe youīre talking about Reset All from the Main Controller is not reseting the Face UI, itīs intentional, i want to keep body poses and facial expressions individually. About the finger, you can move each controller(spline) to curl each finger, and you can Select ALL fingers in the Main UI and Move them to curl all together, this way i found very easy and friendly to pose the hand and if you want to refine the pose, then you enter in each controller. I thought that this way was less confusing than having all the controls in one CA, maybe iīm wrong.
Yes, youīre right about the geo in the arms. I need more divisions. Thanks!

Hi Sami, Thanks for your response. It was not intentional to have this working this way. Actually, I would like this to be relative to the hide/unhide face ui and when you press HIDE, itīs always Hide, and if you pressed UNHIDE, itīs always unhide when you change from LOW to HIGH. That does not seem to be hard to do, but as i said, Iīm newbie in Maxscript and youīll try to do this in the next version. Thanks!

Paul, you could add an option to save the animation in the next version of the Pen attribute holder, it would be wonderful:cool:

Guys, sorry if you donīt understand what i said. My english is very limited. If you donīt, next time iīll try to call a friend to help-me.

Fabiomussarela
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
"Thanks to -Maxscriptīs Help" hehehe, definetly one of the best documentations I ever see!

Good Rig Leanndro, very complete :)

See Ya :)

MOSS
05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Good rig. I really like how you used bone based facial rig as opposed to using the morpher. They are so much faster in the viewport. On my rigs I use stretchy bones on splines, which allows them to be manipulated in a more organic way. Anyway great job for a first rig!

Leanndro
05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Paul, Itīs a pleasure to have your feedback!
Whatīs the control that RESET ALL isnīt working? I checked the feet, fingers, Poses(Main_Ctrl) and expressions and everything seems ok. The reset all in Main_Ctrl, only reset the pose, not the facial expression, itīs intentional because i want to keep poses and facial expressions individualy. About the fingers, you can move the control (Spline) to curl the finger or Select All fingers from the Main UI and move all to curl all fingers together, i found it very friendly and fast to do generic poses, and if you want to refine the pose you can enter inside each finger control and adjust them. So i thought this way was less confusing then have all the controls in one CA. And yes, i need more divisions in the forearm. Thanks!

Hi Sami, thanks to your response! No, it isnīt intentional. Actualy, i want that works when we pressed HIDE FACIAL UI, and itīs always hide for High Version, and if you pressed UNHIDE FACIAL UI, itīs always UNHIDE for High Version. As i said, iīm a newbie in maxscript but i think it isnīt hard to do, maybe create a variable that changes when you press HIDE or UNHIDE and check it when you press HIGH. Iīll try to update this in the next version.

Mussarela! Thanks my friend!

Hi Cris, Thanks! Itīs a good idea to use bones on splines, I saw it here in cgtalk a while ago but at the time seemed that made things slower. Is it true?

Hei Paul, you could add an option to save animation in the next version of Pen Atributte Holder, it would be wonderful! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

MOSS
05-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Cris, Thanks! Itīs a good idea to use bones on splines, I saw it here in cgtalk a while ago but at the time seemed that made things slower. Is it true?

No, not on splines at least. On nurbs curves, yes there is a drastic slow down. One way I have found around this is to path deform a spline to a nurbs curve. So you can constrain the bones to the spline curve which is in turn controlled by the nurbs curve.

IkerCLoN
05-10-2008, 01:05 PM
On my rigs I use stretchy bones on splines

Hey, Chris, do you have some example on the net (references, videos...) that shows how your system works? I'm trying to choose now which method is the most suitable for our productions, and I'm gathering information on several.

By the way, Leanndro, very fancy rig :)

S-S
05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
IkerCLoN:

If it's any help, i have done it in following way: create a spline, add spline ik modifier. Keep spline as curve + verts as corner. Position and link spline ik points to upper arm root, elbow, and wrist. then create secondary points path constrained to spline and then create a twist setup for these points. Then create secondary points, link these to previous points on same locations and then create stretchy bones between these.

This way spline follows stretchy arm, wrist twist, and stretchy bones follow points, which can be then offset from their root points to create distortions to arms or legs.

Then, you can also turn elbow point of spline to smooth to create simple bendy elbow, (without extra control for curvature) and stretchy bones will of course follow. I've automated creation of this rig for my personal stuff, if you are interested in this method, i could post a video a bit later.

IkerCLoN
05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
IkerCLoN:

If it's any help, i have done it in following way: create a spline, add spline ik modifier. Keep spline as curve + verts as corner. Position and link spline ik points to upper arm root, elbow, and wrist. then create secondary points path constrained to spline and then create a twist setup for these points. Then create secondary points, link these to previous points on same locations and then create stretchy bones between these.

This way spline follows stretchy arm, wrist twist, and stretchy bones follow points, which can be then offset from their root points to create distortions to arms or legs.

Then, you can also turn elbow point of spline to smooth to create simple bendy elbow, (without extra control for curvature) and stretchy bones will of course follow. I've automated creation of this rig for my personal stuff, if you are interested in this method, i could post a video a bit later.

Sami, as always... thanks for the tip! I was using another approach for that: using the spline formula to get a series of points (that can be controlled), where some stretchy bones are constrained (so it works like a spline with vertices and handles... but with bones). The problem I was having with that is that when bending it was kind of difficult to keep the bones aligned as I want... and if I add twist to this... KABOOM! Hehehehe... Gotta try it a little more.

And that video would be awesome ;-)

metamesh
05-10-2008, 03:38 PM
nice rig there! thanks for sharing! ikerclon how are u mate? i can see that u finally started working for kandor? nice!

S-S
05-10-2008, 05:47 PM
ikerCLoN: i sent you a PM

Leanndro
05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi all, i made some changes on the rig, hereīs a new version: JORGE RIG v1.1 (http://www.fantochestudio.com/jorge/JORGE_RIG_v1.1.rar)

Jorge v.1.1 Changes:
- Bug fixes on spine and leg's swivel
- Fixed some skin issues
- Now you can change the name "Jorge" under the character and the name of the Main UI will become the same.
- If the Face UI is unhide it's keeps unhide when you change from LOW to HIGH Version.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

ErikE
05-15-2008, 02:50 AM
nice rig, thanks for sharing. I am sure I will learn a lot from it. Is it possible to move the facial UI? I may have looked over it by accident.

Leanndro
05-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Hei Erik, Thanks! Yes, you can move the facial UI, you just need to unfreeze the main line (its the outline of the Facial UI, the big rectangle), select this line and then unlock the "Move" in the Hierarchy Panel , so you can move it. You can simple press UNFREEZE BY HIT in the Display Panel, and then click in the main line to unfreeze it. If you moved anything and want to move it back to the original place, you just need to select the object and then ALT + RMB - Transform to Zero.

I hope this will help you.

Leanndro Amorim

nima-raufi
05-15-2008, 09:28 PM
It's great , I really like it. I'm animating with it.

thanks for sharing.:buttrock:

Leanndro
06-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Hi nima! Thanks!
Give-me some feedback!
Are you liking to animate with it?
What do you donīt like?
What do you think about the character design? Iīm considering make some changes
I think iīll add a mirror pose in the next versions.
Itīs really important to have the feedback of the people that are already animating with it, like you. And iīd like to see your animation too! ;)

Thanks again!

seifneo
06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
hi Leanndro ! thank you for sharing with us this "Awesome" Character Rig :thumbsup: , i have dreamed for this kind of controls for so long, realy it help fresh animator like me to learn animation with ease...

some suggestion :
1) "Mirror pose" option is a must ! do it :bounce: ! :-)
2) option to select the Jorge_Main_Control in the float jorge ui , i think it will help to quickly go to command panel , save pose , return to the float UI....
3) i found difficult to create a good expression like " :-O " in the face UI , i dont know if it's because of the design of Jorge :shrug: or the rigging controls.
and to finish ; when i charge a pose with the ramp, it's a little slow .
that's it for now:-)
sorry for my english!
Thanks !

joomangy
07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Leanndro, your rig is great .
I have a little question.
Where and how do you control the rotation of LowerArm_L_FK_Ctrl, when you move it. I can't find it :cry:.
:beer:

Leanndro
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Hei joomangy, thanks! You can control the rotation like any other control, just select and rotate them. Make sure that youīre using the local axis.
Iīm current finishing the development of a new version. I changed, added and rebuilded a lot of things. Iīll soon release it.

joomangy
07-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I ask wrong question :) . I mean when i move LowerArm_L_FK_Ctrl it is automaticaly rotates and allignes with bone (as orientation constraint on it, but there are NO constraint on it). How you do this in your rig ?
Sorry for my bad english :blush:

Leanndro
07-08-2008, 05:32 AM
ahhhh, ok, now i understand your question, just turn Bone On(Menu Animation - Bones Tools) on these 3 FK Splines and they will act like a bone. Donīt worry, My english is too bad too;)

joomangy
07-08-2008, 06:19 AM
So easy )))). Sank's man.:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2008, 06:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.