PDA

View Full Version : Particle Visibility Based On Goal's Facing Ratio

flashmagic01
05-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have an animated character used as a goal for instanced particles. I need to make the particles visible only on the edges of the character based on the camera's position. Is there a way to pull facing ratio info from the goal geometry and pipe that into the particle's visibility or scale?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-James

skunk184
05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
You could just use a facing ratio>ramp>surface shader on your character and set a matte in post ...

cheers

craig

flashmagic01
05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
You could just use a facing ratio>ramp>surface shader on your character and set a matte in post ...

cheers

craig

Craig,
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it needs to be cleaner than matting it in post. The particles are quite large and I can't simply matte them out or there will be a visible line cutting them off. I need to find a way to do this in maya, perhaps using the goal's normal information linked to the camera, that will control the scale or visibility of the particle. Just not sure how to set that up.

Thanks!
James

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.