PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Acquires Assets of REALVIZ

seifneo
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
http://pressreleases.autodesk.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=419%3C%2Ftd%3E

REALVIZ Product Integration

Autodesk intends to develop and sell REALVIZ's Stitcher Unlimited, Stitcher Express, ImageModeler and Movimento software as standalone products. Matchmover, Retimer and VTour will no longer be available as standalone products; core technology from these REALVIZ products will be integrated into future versions of Autodesk's existing products, enabling customers to bring the real world into design environments.

The following REALVIZ offerings have been discontinued: Stitcher Pro, Stitcher Unlimited DS, StoryViz, and hardware and software product bundles. Education versions of ImageModeler and Stitcher continue to be available. Student versions of ImageModeler and Stitcher are no longer available. For more information please visit http://www.autodesk.com/REALVIZ.

TopherMartini
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Whoa... didn't see that one coming :eek:

The Realviz (http://realviz.com/) web site has already been changed to remove any mention of products that are not continuing to be sold standalone.

Wonder what this acquisition might mean for Matchmover and Maya Live? :shrug:

Lone Deranger
05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
“When AutoDesk saw the breadth of their domain, they wept, for there were no more companies to conquer.”

splitpoint
05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
That's bad news for us Realviz customers. Especially since they are Deep-Six'ing Matchmover right out of the gate.

TAVO
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
OMG, that is shocking, wonder with what Autodesk will come out in the future releases of Maya-3ds Max.

leuey
05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I would expect the matchmover tech to move into inferno, flame, toxic and maybe even smoke and fire.

But it could also wind up in max and maya I suppose.

-Greg

depleteD
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Taste it. Taste the dominance of our shadowy corporate overlords.

Bonedaddy
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM

Hey, this tastes like raisin bran!

DuttyFoot
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM

thats funny. Autodesk is on a roll, i wonder who is next on their hitlist. they are like the borg they just come in and take you over.

Samo
05-07-2008, 05:26 PM
thats funny. Autodesk is on a roll, i wonder who is next on their hitlist. they are like the borg they just come in and take you over.

I think it will be an entry level application such as Silo or Modo.

John Keates
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM

Nex maybe (although that would be a bit pointless as they are trying to impoersonate it anyway), but I would bet a lot of money against Silo going that way I can't see it happening with modo iether. Moi... maybe?

I wonder how long these deals take to come through? I wonder how keen Autodesk is to put capital into innovation when they have in the back of their mind that they might just buy stuff out anyway?

It might be nice if a consortium of smaller companies signed an agreement stating that they refuse to be baught by Autodesk, so at least Autodesk developers know weather to bother coding things that might otherwise be bought anyway... But then, what would be those companies motivation to do so?

Steve Green
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
They already did do a free bundle of MM with Max a couple of releases ago.

I didn't hear much about it since then, well, until now.

- Steve

kees
05-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Maybe...but why would they?

We (3d artists) have had the opportunity to switch to Modo or Silo for years and we haven't done so in significant numbers. So Autodesk can easily compete with these softwares and by not switching to these softwares we've already indicated to be 'stuck' with the existing Autodesk software.

I would expect them to buy software in areas where Autodesk is weak or non-existent such as they have done with Mudbox and the Real-Viz applications.
They do this to control the market. To make sure non of these companies grow to big and suddenly take a big bite out of the Autodesk market.

Why buy software of a competitor that you have already proven to be able to defeat without paying a cent. With Alias it was a little different since Alias was quite capable to compete and in some areas was much stronger then Autodesk (like automotive).
But Silo or Modo offer no threat to Autodesk imo.

(I'm no expert, just a thought)

Take care,

BUZZFX
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Who's next. Pixologic IMO. but Autodesk will probably wait until Pixologic develops ZBrush further and makes it an even better application, then they will strike.

I can't stand huge companies of any type. No competition is a recipe for overpriced and over policed software.

:)

Sonk
05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Who's next. Pixologic IMO. but Autodesk will probably wait until Pixologic develops ZBrush further and makes it an even better application, then they will strike.

I can't stand huge companies of any type. No competition is a recipe for overpriced and over policed software.

:)

that was a joke right? :P because they already have Mudbox 2.0

Rhs_CG
05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
As long as the small, private companies don't want to be bought out, Autodesk can't buy them. I like supporting the small companies, and although they don't have the legions of customers or billions of dollars Autodesk has, they are alright with what they have, for now at least.

And lots of the developers like being in charge of their baby. There a lots of indie mac developers who like developing their own niche app, with their small (or sometimes large) customer base.

seifneo
05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
i think that the next one will be "e-on software" and "nextlimit" ; with vue and realflow, autodesk will be the Master of...3D world :p

dotTom
05-07-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm just hoping it's not Avid... The last thing I want to see is XSI end up being a Autodesk property, you can be sure the first thing they'd do if they got their hands on it would be to kill off XSI Foundation - too much power and grace at too low a price point when compared to their (Autodesk's) existing portfolio.

BUZZFX
05-07-2008, 08:11 PM
that was a joke right? :P because they already have Mudbox 2.0

Well the same could be said of Autodesk acquiring Alias and Maya. You could say why did they need Maya when they already have 3DS Max. So if you follow the logic then acquiring pixologic would mean most people who wanted a good 3D sculpting package would have to buy it from Autodesk.

No it wasn't a joke but it can be if you want it to be. :)

i think that the next one will be "e-on software" and "nextlimit" ; with vue and realflow, autodesk will be the Master of...3D world :pNo, no, no, please Autodesk, don't take Vue or ZBrush. If that happens I'm giving up 3D all together. :cry:

:cry:

Grim Beefer
05-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Well the same could be said of Autodesk acquiring Alias and Maya.

A big part of the acquisition for Autodesk and Alias was to allow Autodesk more control over the CAD market. Alias' StudioTools is used by just about every automotive design studio around. Pixologic doesn't seem to have the same amount of diversity as the former Alias, so buying them out doesn't make much sense. I'd imagine that when Autodesk was considering purchasing a high density modeller they chose Mudbox because of its' familiar interface.

KOKE
05-07-2008, 09:07 PM
They will probably buy Cgtalk next..... ;)

Now seriously, I bet my money for something like Vue as someone stated above.

JK.

:D

splitpoint
05-07-2008, 09:10 PM

JK.

That's a good one...You were joking right? :)

KOKE
05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah I was joking, but then.... who knows whats going inside the little dark minds of Autodesk CEO´s.......(Horror film music sounds now).

JK.

Antropus
05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
No, I heard Vatican is next. Then they will buy the Brazilian soccer team.

Layer01
05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
we could start a little betting ring where people can bet on what Autodesk will buy next :p

John Keates
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
we could start a little betting ring where people can bet on what Autodesk will buy next :p

I bet there are some Autodesk CEOs hanging around on these forums who would do rather well out of that venture.

cresshead
05-07-2008, 10:47 PM
mudbox is no match for zbrush...zbrush does all of it's goodies differently and waaay smother than mudbox..though modbox offers a familiar and restictive open gl interface just like modo and blender...

i think the logical next aquisition would be vue infinate or Vray.

charleyc
05-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Autodesk seems to have a very good relationship with mental images and mental ray has definitely given VRay a run for its money, I really don't see Autodesk being interested in them. I too would guess something along the lines of Next Limit (for RealFlow). But who knows, I don't know that anyone expected this acquisition.

Kabab
05-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Nvidia bought Mental Images so that is out..

I bet you they will buy up more game engine middleware...

I heard on the rumor mill they tried to buy another middleware company got blocked because DS had a controlling share...

angel
05-07-2008, 11:26 PM
I can just visualize "No Face" from Spirited Away swallowing everything it finds on its path.

Xevious
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM

Maybe Autodesk and Adobe should go at each other in a wrestling cage match....

frogspasm
05-08-2008, 12:13 AM
No, no, no, please Autodesk, don't take Vue or ZBrush. If that happens I'm giving up 3D all together. :cry:

:cry:

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. ;)

Oh no! Autodesk bought something again?! Time for another "Autodesk is ruining the 3D industry" thread.

Grim Beefer
05-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. ;)

Oh no! Autodesk bought something again?! Time for another "Autodesk is ruining the 3D industry" thread.

Are you saying that threre is not a strong argument that both 3ds Max and Maya have stagnated with puny updates since the Alias aquisition, while smaller independents, like Pixologic, have made a fool of Autodesk's massive R & D budget? As an everyday 3dsmax user, I would obviously disagree with you. Bigger is not always better.

erilaz
05-08-2008, 12:43 AM
while smaller independents, like Pixologic, have made a fool of Autodesk's massive R & D budget?

I think Mac users of ZBrush would beg to differ. ;)

DuttyFoot
05-08-2008, 01:22 AM
had no clue mudbox 2 came out, i didn't even get any notice. i bought it when it first came out.

beaker
05-08-2008, 01:44 AM
It might be nice if a consortium of smaller companies signed an agreement stating that they refuse to be baught by AutodeskYea, lets force a bunch of small devlopers who quit their real jobs to ignore a big box of cash Autodesk is offering them. They worked hard all these years developing a plugin for pennies and don't deserve a payout at the end of the day. F' small devlopers.

John Keates
05-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Yea, lets force a bunch of small devlopers who quit their real jobs to ignore a big box of cash Autodesk is offering them. They worked hard all these years developing a plugin for pennies and don't deserve a payout at the end of the day. F' small devlopers.

Exactly my point (when taken sarcastically).

I mentioned at the end of the post that there is no incentive for them to form such an allience, but the subtext is that it might be to our benefit if they did.

I'm not saying I know the answer... I'm just trying to point towards a solution.

erilaz
05-08-2008, 03:10 AM
I'm not saying I know the answer... I'm just trying to point towards a solution.

Actually, this is very refreshing. I disagree with your idea along the same lines as Beaker, but at least you're trying to be constructive rather than whining about it.

And this goes for everyone in the community affected by this. We know the business of big software is a mess right now, so the question is:

What are you going to do about it?

And I don't mean that in the rhetorical "Oh noes! We flail under the might of corporations!", I mean literally, what ARE you going to about it?

Let's have a conversation about that, instead of another 15 wasted pages of "What is X company going to buy next?" and "Autodesk is a big meanie!".

Surely there must be more to this discussion than pontificating about the state of the industry.

Kabab
05-08-2008, 03:32 AM
but the subtext is that it might be to our benefit if they did.
The thing is no one is making these plugin's for your benifit, they are making these applications so they can make money for their own benefit..

If being bought out is easier way to make money then slogging it out witting more code then so be it :)

sciics
05-08-2008, 04:25 AM
OK! i don't see MMpro on the realviz website... Panic Attack!...

Stitcher/I Modeler/ Movimento what about the rest..???

boomji
05-08-2008, 05:33 AM
That's bad news for us Realviz customers. Especially since they are Deep-Six'ing Matchmover right out of the gate.

:banghead:

b

tonytrout
05-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Whats the big deal. At least autodesk is big enough to deploy serious resources to develop their software and integration of these aps into maya or max can only be better for everyone in the end. Roll on Mudbox2 then Vue and Realflow and Massive and Modo and Aftereffects and Photoshop .....

.... oh and lets not forget Renderman

Tamis
05-08-2008, 07:48 AM
You kidding me? I haven’t seen any serious improvement in apps bought by Autodesk.

Also I haven’t seen any so called integration of multiple applications.

The only thing I see is more supported formats between applications but I have never seen 2 applications merging to one.

Also I think we will never see that happening either because if it is up to Autodesk they would probably split there applications up so they can make more $$.

Whats the big deal. At least autodesk is big enough to deploy serious resources to develop their software and integration of these aps into maya or max can only be better for everyone in the end. Roll on Mudbox2 then Vue and Realflow and Massive and Modo and Aftereffects and Photoshop .....

mustique
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
AdobeDesk ! :drool:

Kabab
05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
You kidding me? I haven’t seen any serious improvement in apps bought by Autodesk.

Also I haven’t seen any so called integration of multiple applications.

The only thing I see is more supported formats between applications but I have never seen 2 applications merging to one.

Also I think we will never see that happening either because if it is up to Autodesk they would probably split there applications up so they can make more $$.

Maya's been going okay the last releases have been quiet nice nCloth, Muscles, better polytools etc..

Do you have any idea how much work it would be to combine 2 app's like Max and Maya??? It would seriously take more resources to do that then write something new from the ground up which would be better in the end anyway. So creating better file interchanges in the mean while is the most sensible idea.

I'm sure Autodesk has a roadmap going forward 10years and we are just seeing a glimpse of what is going on..

KayosIII
05-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Strangely I don't have a lot of confidence in Autodesk and integration.... But then quite a bit of time in the last week or so has been dedicated to getting data out of one Autodesk app and into another. It was stupid hard - in the end the path of least resistance was to use the google earth 3 exporter for source app - use the kml importer for blender and patch blender so it could handle the size of the dataset.... and go from blender to the destination application (3dsmax). I know that I got payed to do this but the fact I had to get data from one of a companies apps to another is just retarded.

friboli
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Naaa... everything tastes like chicken

Buexe
05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
The thing is no one is making these plugin's for your benifit, they are making these applications so they can make money for their own benefit.

This made me think and you know what? I think the guy selling me newspapers actually sells them to me to make money off me! Bad world isn`t it?

bsm3d
05-08-2008, 09:52 PM
About MudBox ZBrush and I remember reading Autodesk wanted to see redeem ZBrush, but Pixologic did not want and they returned to MudBox.

Matchmover will die in the near future and it is sad for users because they will be forced to switch to another software from Autodesk and more expensive maybe.

I do not find that the Autodesk products are so bad, 3ds max as Maya and all software, especially in 3d are so much bugged, but it is software that can almost do anything!

What I accuses Autodesk is not to offer an entry-level as they had wanted to do with Plasma usd 1000.

I also blamed the excessive price differential between the U.S. and Europe! if one takes the U.S. Dollar and Euro eg. 3ds max expected to cost +-2500 euro, it costs more out of double in Euro, +-5000 euro! evening twice the price and for reasons quite unclear translation and office expenses in Europe! Yet to purchase Autodesk 3ds max online, if the user buys an English version must also pay the costs of translation in french?

American they also pay the English translation? Another scenario, one of the reasons for Autodesk to double prices are taxes in Europe, but taxes are only +-20%, but not twice the price!

What graphic designer / freelance little buy 3ds max or Maya starting a business? Autodesk target may not be that big studio and is therefore an elitist by sorting based on money to invest and not the opening of talents and offer creative tools in price ranges studied and aligned?

Even if 3ds max is very comprehensive, I am very disappointed with the loss of Viz who costed half the price of 3ds max and largely sufficient to no special effects or animation!

But now that Viz is dead, new users will have to pay double the price for 3ds max designer 2009.

Adobe also practice this policy, European = cash cow! And they have good reasons because they are monopolies without forgotten that users continue to pay, then why stopping?

Whether the euro is strong or weak the cost of Autodesk software has never aligned to Europe, against the Americans have studied very price and twice cheaper ... What should we understand from this method do?

Gimp is equally valid for texturing and retouching (I'm not talking about printing) why peoples do not migrate? The Big studios would lose few weeks updates of their graphic designer but then what economy!

Now many studio buys a license for 100 employees ...? (joking)

I hope that Vue stay alive my god :-)

nuclearfessel
05-08-2008, 10:03 PM

I hate you for saying that. Seriously. May the gods take away all your bacon and smite you with empty plates.

j83
05-08-2008, 10:10 PM
In 2016 we'll have,

Mayaxbox-shaking-fusionedAfterCombustion

bsm3d
05-08-2008, 10:14 PM
There is two world in CG :

- The artists and creatives in mind (small companies)
- The financial and investor business (big companies)

One think to creaet artists tools and invest passion into, others want to get investors grins and champagne cup-to-cup...

But a big company have a lot's of employed payroll, more chief executives, more dev. center,...but less supports :-)

The big fishes :

Microsoft Market Cap:272.60B
Google Market Cap:182.56B
IBM Market Cap:171.57B
Apple Market Cap:163.15B
Adobe Market Cap:21.27B
Nvidia Market Cap:12.18B
Autodesk Market Cap:8.94B
Dassault Syst. Market Cap:7.26B
Sun Market Cap:5.14B
Avid Market Cap:835.24M

FreakWizz
05-08-2008, 10:27 PM
NewTek Market Cap:41.38M

Hmmmmm Nope!, while their may be a company called Newtek with a market cap of 40+ million it is not the privately run (and thus non-listed) 3D Business based in Texas that creates 3D software, i.e Lightwave.

bsm3d
05-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Hmmmmm Nope!, while their may be a company called Newtek with a market cap of 40+ million it is not the privately run (and thus non-listed) 3D Business based in Texas that creates 3D software, i.e Lightwave.

you sure ? So i removed until I found the right informations, thanks for eyes catching !

mustique
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I hate you for saying that. Seriously. May the gods take away all your bacon and smite you with empty plates.

MicroAdobeDeskSoft :bounce:

fktt
05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Maybe Autodesk and Adobe should go at each other in a wrestling cage match.... nah, those two would probably rather marry, but im not sure witch one would really 'wear the pants in the family' so-to-say. ;)

ahh, somebody who shares my line of thought.. :)

malducin
05-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Well at least there are reasonable options like Syntheyes and PFTrack. I would be worried if there was nowhere to turn to. Still it's a shame MMPro is disappearing.

beaker
05-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Still it's a shame MMPro is disappearing.MMpro actually worked? It was extremely buggy for me and half the time it wouldn't even run under linux. Emails to support were never answered.

boss10
05-12-2008, 08:34 PM
who will buy autodesk in neer futur,it`s not a joke .

ILM ,microsoft,china;)

cresshead
05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
''i'll buy that for a dollar!'':)

autodesk rules the world of 3d CG...except for>
xsi
zbrush
cinema4d
modo
vue
formz
sketch-up
blender
houdini
lightwave
electric image
hexagon
silo
bryce
wings3d
poser
daz studio

3d coat

theotheo
05-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Im just glad that we still got vigilante ninjas such as Russ Andersson :)

-theo

shora-f
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Autodesk already bought Kynogon which makes Kynapse which is an AI/pathfinding middleware for games.. which I persoanlly believe they would develop it as a Massive killer.. but who knows, maybe I am wrong...

sciics
05-15-2008, 12:09 PM
''i'll buy that for a dollar!'':)

autodesk rules the world of 3d CG...except for>
xsi
zbrush
cinema4d
modo
vue
formz
sketch-up
blender
houdini
lightwave
electric image
hexagon
silo
bryce
wings3d
poser
daz studio

3d coat

You forgot to mention FaceRobot, ALienbrain, Cube...

Nah!! well i am quite impresed looking at Autodesk's portpholio.. its quite impressive with right from Imagemodler, Movimeto (Autodesk has Mocap) 3ds max, Maya, Toxic, all they need is to buy Linux and and Dell and there you have it... A Mall... they may call it DeskMart in the US...

If i were autodesk i would even buy Starbucks...

fenandis
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi, I certainly agree with you. Your advice is really very helpful for us.

Thanks a lot!

softdistortion
05-15-2008, 01:27 PM

[/color][/size][/font]

Well, yesterday I read that AD is splitting Max into 2 flavors. Archvis and entertainment. :shrug:

On the Realviz note, I'm miffed to to see apps we use suddenly be killed off with no options offered...
received an email about Adobe killing off an app we use...they always give you a sweet discount offer (%50 in this case) to move to something else they make.
Comparing Autodesk to the borg or an overlord is almost a eupemism in this area.

beaker
05-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Interview with Autodesk about the acquisition:
http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=57c5ed8a&atype=articles&id=3634

mackdadd
05-16-2008, 01:57 AM
Any chance they removed MMPro because they intend to incorporate it into Max or Maya? Max has needed a better 3d tracker for a LONG time. (I've never used it, but if what you're saying is true, Deke, that it was buggy, maybe merging it into Max/maya wouldn't be a good idea anyway).

fenandis
05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for sharing this nice link.

beaker
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Any chance they removed MMPro because they intend to incorporate it into Max or Maya? Max has needed a better 3d tracker for a LONG time. (I've never used it, but if what you're saying is true, Deke, that it was buggy, maybe merging it into Max/maya wouldn't be a good idea anyway).yea, good chance since MMPRo is a tracker integrated into the maya/max interface so there is very little work to do other then some QA. It didn't work on the linux side of things with our distribution but I'm sure it worked better on windows/osx.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.