PDA

View Full Version : My sad, sorry 6D pen tale.

Ion66
05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Like another poster found, Ive been having problems with my 6D pen not rotating properly. Often you could turn your arm around 90 degrees and get only a bit of rotation and the angle showing didnt match the angle you're holding the pen at. Seeing that re-installing the Wacom drivers fixed the issue I was in the process of doing this. One step from the Wacom site was to delete the Preferences. I did this and the pen was rotating again. The thing was, it still didn't match the angle I was working at. In fact it seemed kind of upside down. I swapped the nib around to reverse and it seemed great. It now aligned with how I was holding the pen. Unfortunately, its bevel was a bit longer than the bevel on the nib. I took a nail file and rounded it off about 1mm. Great...but all of a sudden, it wont work! I swapped the nib back to right side up and it drew..but aligned wrong and it drew when 2-3" over the tablet..and wouldn't revert to a cursor off the canvas! Swapping to the more slippery (not marker) nib had it working..but misaligned. I looked at the nibs and there is minute difference in the nib base..but not the pins. The pen body just had 1mm of plastic trimmed, but the pen now wont work with the felt nib!!! Aggggh.

After some playing around with it..I stuck 2 of the harder plastic grip pen nibs into it..and it now rotates and is in the right plane in terms of matching holding a real brush. Dunno what I did to wreck the thing...but I did. Fortunately, its now doing what I wanted in the first place and I didn't re-install the drivers. I'm at a loss...but its working and feels normal to use.

frog
05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
The thing was, it still didn't match the angle I was working at. In fact it seemed kind of upside down.

When that happens you can simply rotate the brush nib in the brush controls for both Photoshop and Painter. Did you try doing this?

Ion66
05-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Im not sure what youre referring to. My PS elements 6 doesnt have brush controls that I can find beyond telling it what reaction to pressure it should have and PainterX just has brush tracking. My Intuos preferences just has tip feel and such that I can locate.

frog
05-09-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure about PS Elements as I've never used it, but both Painter and Photoshop have controls to rotate the brush tip to match the orientation of your 6D pen. In Painter it looks like this:

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/misc/angle.gif

Ion66
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks! It looks like Elements6 only supports pressure (according to the Wacom site and my reading of manuals) and for whatever reason the 6D is aligned with the 2 nibs in it..go figure. The standard, felt nib doesnt work at all and reads when 4" from the tablet as if in contact. The harder nib I could use the angle control though. Going through a few brushes, theres not too many that seem to support angle, but its great to know its there.

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.