PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Help File....Come and get it!

proton
05-16-2003, 12:11 AM
The Help System is a large group of .html files that will be installed on your Start menu when you download and install the Help executable. The Help System is also available on line. You need to be a member of our user community in order to access it.

PC
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw75c/LWHelpFile_Intel.zip

Mac
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Mac/lw75c/LightWaveHelp.hqx.sit

online help file:
http://www.newtek.com/freestuff/lwhelp/help/index.html

Main page:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/7.5c

Be sure to take full advantage of the search feature....that's my favorite!:bounce:

robinson
05-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Almost 84 MB, that sounds nice !!! :thumbsup:

proton
05-16-2003, 12:30 AM
full color pix....user tips...updated docs....all searchable....me likes :love:

Fasty
05-16-2003, 01:04 AM
Wow, this is a BRILLIANT addition! Is it just a searchable version of the manual, or is it new content?

wgreenlee1
05-16-2003, 01:09 AM
Are they gonna redo it for "8" cause having Messiah intergrated with it is really goning to need a manul over haul.

:thumbsup:

EDIT::: Those downloads.....are really.....slow.....:D

leigh
05-16-2003, 01:14 AM
The link to the online one should be:

http://www.newtek.com/freestuff/lwhelp/index.html ;)

You added an extra "help" in your link, Proton :)

Very cool help by the way, it's about time!

robinson
Installed !!!

Very very nice Proton, good job !!! :beer:
Locks better than the manual, and all these color pictures... :drool:

Hope CIM likes colored pictures too...

wgreenlee1
You seen it Leigh?
Is it cool?Is it cool?

leigh
05-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Yeah Wgreenlee - it's cool :D

wgreenlee1
05-16-2003, 01:22 AM

JVitale
05-16-2003, 01:24 AM
FINALLY!!!! Sheesh!!...You teased us about it for soooo long. We got to see this at our LightWave Users Group meeting in January and I couldn't wait for this to be released...Thank you Proton for all your hard work on it.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Fasty
05-16-2003, 01:25 AM
The REAL link:

http://www.newtek.com/freestuff/lwhelp/

I think...

Bytehawk
05-16-2003, 01:34 AM
really kewl stuff - thanks
will check it out

CIM
05-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Finally some decent docs. for LW. :D

Shade01
05-16-2003, 01:43 AM
thanks proton sweet stuff!

roguenroll
05-16-2003, 01:43 AM
very nice:beer:

wgreenlee1
05-16-2003, 01:49 AM
Ok...
Probs...
I installed it to the online docs folder in my main Lightwave folder...
How do I get it to go to the start menu..?
Just right click and add to start menu I know but which page?
or did I install it wrong?

:shrug:

robinson
05-16-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
Ok...
Probs...
I installed it to the online docs folder in my main Lightwave folder...
How do I get it to go to the start menu..?
Just right click and add to start menu I know but which page?
or did I install it wrong?

:shrug:

Just browse for the index.html in the installation directory…
:beer:

wgreenlee1
05-16-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by robinson
Just browse for the index.html in the installation directory…
:beer:

Index..ok...doh!:thumbsup:

EDIT:.....ooooo...this is nice.......
Ok no more 'Read the Manual' excuses.LOL!

policarpo
05-16-2003, 02:13 AM
PHUKYN KICK AZZ!!!!!!:buttrock:
:buttrock:
:buttrock:
:bounce:
:drool:

AndréNozawa
05-16-2003, 02:30 AM

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Bytehawk
05-16-2003, 02:34 AM
HEH !!

I'm in the help file
(user tips)

GREAT !!!!!

btw good idea to put them in the docs

Psyhke
05-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Nice.:D

(ps. Proton and Leigh, you should fix your links to the online version, no sense people not finding the results of the work done!).

:wavey:

Lewis3D
05-16-2003, 04:39 AM
Great addition to 7.5c patch, really nice :)

Thanks NewTek (proton)

P.S. I'am still downloading and it will last for several hours (damn 56K modems ;)) but it's nice to know that many users are happy with that ;).

Howzat
05-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Nice one Newtek :thumbsup:

Chewey
05-16-2003, 04:45 AM
Is it possible to install the help files to the basic LW7.5 rev?

In other words do we need to install the LW.75c patch in order to use the help files.

I'm holding off for a few days till the smoke clears on this LW7.5c rev before I attempt an install of it.
;)

Nemoid
05-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Got a look at the online docs

and they are very good!!
surely better than the manual with good
explanations and i liked as well the user tips :bounce:
(yap also the CIM tips)

7.5c surely will rock:thumbsup:

Ciao from Italy:wavey:

P.S. Proton U da man!!!:beer:

Chuck Baker
05-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Chewey

In other words do we need to install the LW.75c patch in order to use the help files.

I'm holding off for a few days till the smoke clears on this LW7.5c rev before I attempt an install of it.
;)

The Help File is completely independent of the 7.5c update. You install it separately, and it should then be available on the Start menu if you are on the Windows platform. If not you can go into the directory and load the index.html file.

Chewey
05-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info, Chuck.

proton
05-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Chewey

;)

Help file is a seperate install....you don't even need LW to install them :)

Julez4001
05-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
...having Messiah intergrated with it is really goning to need a manul over haul.

Do you know something we don't.
That would be kool though....

Messiah character aniamtion engine at the heart of Lw technology!

proton
05-16-2003, 03:20 PM
does he know something that I don't:shrug:

Chagidiel
05-16-2003, 06:23 PM
:thumbsup: Thanksie newtek!

Just a little question:

IMHO the online seems to be working as great as an downloaded and installed one. Since it is 84 megguz to DL I´d surely like to keep using that one...
Just wondering then; is it gonna stay online or is it just some temporal campaign thing?

proton
05-16-2003, 07:57 PM
it will stay online.....but I prtefer to have it on my system....never now when I will be without web access :)

fourd
05-16-2003, 08:04 PM
I would prefer to have it on my system as well. Are you guys going to get a mirror so we can download that as well?

BTW. LW7.5c is rockin! Not one crash yet, in 4 hours of work! Wohoo!!!:thumbsup:

MattClary
05-16-2003, 08:34 PM
HAH! I just discovered I'm number one on User Tips! I'm semi-famous! :bounce: :beer: :D

proton
05-16-2003, 08:40 PM
thanx for the tip!

MattClary
05-16-2003, 08:45 PM
No, thank YOU for allowing me to contribute! I'm actually quite giddy about it! Called a co-worker in to show, she thought it was really cool. :)

minus
05-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Very nice... Parts of it read still like a reference book. -- Though it has nicer pictures for sure. -- It would be nice if stated at least where some of the tools could be found instead of just what they do. For example "Layout>>Scene Tab>>Backdrop>>Process>>Image Filter. I'm just thinking for people just starting to get into the program..they may be lost. The User Tips section in there is great! -- I'm in there a couple times aswell! ;) (I'm sure many of us are.).. =) Good work.

proton
05-16-2003, 09:16 PM
We will continue to improve the docs....keep the feedback coming....we are listening!

twidup
05-16-2003, 09:53 PM
hey all, copy this into a text editor and save out as a .ls file, name it what you want. I will be posting a link to the original later tonight, as this is going off the top of my head, so some code might be wrong, cant recall for sure.

here goes:

@asyncspawn

// change this variable to match your browser
//exe file path, you need the double slash too

Browser = "C:\\program files\\internet explorer\\explorer.exe";

// change this variable to the selected file you
// want to open in it, make sure to leave that
// space at the beginning

page = " www.flay.com";

generic
{
spawn(Browser+page);
}

(edit) I did leave out a semi colon and the squigly bracket, fixed it, this should would, well, it works here. just modify the code for your paths

proton
05-16-2003, 10:10 PM
very cool!

twidup
05-16-2003, 10:17 PM
yup, and since its a generic, you can map it to a menu and to a keyboard shortcut, ie F1 ;)

only thing to note, is that it iwll spawn the window in the background, behind your copy of LW. you can spawn multiple windows as well.

wgreenlee1
05-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Are you sure you have this part right...?
"@asyncspawn"
Because Lightwave is not reconizing it as a lscript.
"Failed to load" in modeler....

:hmm:

In layout:

Line 12 found "p",expecting "@" or "["
Line page = c:\ blah blah blah

this is my .ls

@asyncspawn

Browser = "C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe"

page = " C:\LightWaveDE\Online_Docs\help\index.html";

generic
(
spawn(Browser+page)
)

twidup
05-16-2003, 10:55 PM
like I said that was off the top of my head. you might remove the a from the @asyncspawn so that it reads @syncspawn

I will post the working code tonight for sure. I am at work for a few hours and cant do any LW coding right now...only Maya and Nuance TCLs

5 months out and I am at 70+ hour weeks already....if it wasnt for the uruk slavers whipping us, I would be home in bed :)

just joking

Miyazaki
05-17-2003, 12:36 AM
Very nice reference :beer:

My favorite tip:

Tip: Practice Practice Practice

Submitter: Robert Wilson (Uncommongrafx)
;)

Wouldn`t it be a good idea to make a tip index, ordered by themes or tools?

gase3924
05-17-2003, 02:45 AM
corect me if i am wrong
this is the manuel with other pictures or what

twidup
05-17-2003, 03:15 AM
@asyncspawn

Browser = "C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe" ;

page = " C:\\LightWaveDE\\Online_Docs\\help\\index.html";

generic
{
spawn(Browser+page) ;
}

see above...not sure if I left these out or not, but it should work if you use the above code now. Also, you have to a double slash otherwise it doesnt read teh path correctly.

as for it not working in modeler, well, only modeler scripts work there, and this is a generic, which is layout only.

wgreenlee1
05-17-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by twidup
@asyncspawn

Browser = "C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe" ;

page = " C:\\LightWaveDE\\Online_Docs\\help\\index.html";

generic
{
spawn(Browser+page) ;
}

see above...not sure if I left these out or not, but it should work if you use the above code now. Also, you have to a double slash otherwise it doesnt read teh path correctly.

as for it not working in modeler, well, only modeler scripts work there, and this is a generic, which is layout only.

Ok thanks...
Yes I wasnt for sure if generics worked in Modeler or not.
Thanks....at least this way Layout things can be accessed easier.:thumbsup:

xasteycracker
05-17-2003, 07:29 AM
thanks for this man. this can help me in many ways

CTRL+X
05-17-2003, 10:49 AM
These help files rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

NT Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proton Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five thumbs up
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yog
05-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Really, really great improvement to the existing electronic manual, great work Proton and the other Newtek guys :thumbsup:

A couple possible improvements :

An alphabetical Index tab, for those times when you want to brows the list of available tools.

Alter the Search function slightly so that the found items appear on the left hand side under the main tabs. At the moment they appear on the right hand side and when you pick one all the rest are over written. If it isn't the entry you were after then you have to repeat the whole search because all the previous items have gone.
If the search headings appeared on the left and the one you picked wasn't the actual one you were after you could still have all the other found entries on the left to pick from.
Could also be useful for reading all the entries on a topic withought having to re-search each time.

Psyhke
05-17-2003, 07:26 PM
yog... don't forget about the browser Back button! Don't have to re-search every time.. :shrug:

yog
05-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Guess that some days you just can't see the wood for the trees :shrug:

Thanks for the reminder Psyhke :thumbsup:

scotttygett
05-23-2003, 12:50 AM
This Manual seems pretty impressive, compared to support I've seen a year ago or so in various programs.

Please consider moving it to the front page and stickifying it.

uncommongrafx
05-23-2003, 02:18 AM
HELP!!

I seem to be missing two files on this puppy and I want it to be complete.
dummy_search.htm and UntitledFrame-4

Could someone send them to me? Purty please??

Chruser
05-24-2003, 02:14 PM
Interesting license agreement in the install file.

"IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, RETURN THIS PACKAGE TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU OBTAINED IT WITHIN 15 DAYS FOR A FULL REFUND."

:applause:

wgreenlee1
05-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Chruser
Interesting license agreement in the install file.

"IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, RETURN THIS PACKAGE TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU OBTAINED IT WITHIN 15 DAYS FOR A FULL REFUND."

:applause:

hhahahahahah...................................:rolleyes:

robinson
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Lightwave help file common and use it !!! :D

Especially the user tip area is awesome, there is so much info hidden in this area, Newtek should consider to manage a database that is always updated, I never saw so much Lightwave related info anywhere……

:thumbsup: READ THIS USER TIPS AREA :thumbsup:

VirtualFM
06-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Hello!

I just browsed through the online docs (those in the Newtek site link) and noticed the nice User tips already mentioned and a welcomed-but-not-complete Expressions section (with a not complete glossary) but not much else different than what I remember form the PDF.

I would lie to know, from those who spent more time than me brosing the Help Docs, if there is much more material in there than what I already mentioned.

Thanks!

Nborg
06-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Great stuff, Thanks a lot!:bounce:

Fasty
06-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Perhaps there should be a link to the help file on the Lightwave website? I had to search cgtalk to find it again!

lukx
07-28-2003, 07:20 AM
but I got problem with this all HELP... WHen using online help everything is working fine but when trying this one dowloaded and installed after clicking any contents my IE is "opening file://C:\LightWave\Online_Docs\help\chapter1(or whatever).html..." and nothing happens !

Psyhke
07-28-2003, 08:04 AM
Have you tried browsing to the folder that has "index.html" in it, and clicking that?

lukx
07-28-2003, 09:19 AM
yes this is what I did...cause I don't have it in my start menu as it is written in redme file.

Psyhke
07-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Hmm. I don't know what to say. Can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to view HTML files right off your hard drive. So when you double-click it, the web browser opens, but then just stalls and sits there with a white background? Or does it finally give some sort of error message, or lock up, or anything?

lukx
07-29-2003, 07:47 AM
I click index.html...and here how it's look like
http://lukx.hellnet.gliwice.pl/CGTalk/Snap1z.jpg
and after clicking anything I got something like this and it doesn't change:http://lukx.hellnet.gliwice.pl/CGTalk/Snap2.jpg

Psyhke
07-31-2003, 07:45 AM
What is strange is that the online version works? Sometimes a browser will get some sort of bug or corruption that causes some java, javascripts, or plugins to not work right all the time, and only reinstalling (or upgrading) my browser has helped. But like I said it's strange that the online one works fine for you. As a last resort you could either 1) re-download the help files in case their was some corruption there 2)re-install or upgrade your browser, or 3) both. :shrug: All I can think of right now... sorry.

jomai_g
07-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Hi wavers,
Are there mirror sites for the help file? I don't have a connection at home and we have a firewall at the ofc Can someone please help?

thanks,
jomai

Psyhke
07-31-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm assuming they're blocking the FTP protocol in general, not just newtek.com, right? So another FTP mirror wouldn't help you, I guess. Maybe you can contact Newtek's web person(s) and ask if there is an HTTP URL to the same file? (I tried the same URL as an HTTP, but it's not there).

scotttygett
08-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Since there is always the chance one other person has had to face this; I have now tried to download the zip ile over a 28.8 modem about 7 times.

Does anyone recommend a "resume download" program, preferably freeware?

I am using Win 98.

Since the online pages don't save, I've been considering: a) switching from Juno, b) going to an online cafe in Westwood and paying my $15 (It's sure worth it) and downloading there.

Cutting and pasting using "select all" isn't giving me the neat color pictures. Unless I'm missing some way to convert the pages to something Win 98 can save... Would Netscape be able to save them any better?

Anyway, those are some thoughts on getting the pages where one can study them at home...

Great work by Proton, nonetheless.

isnowboard
08-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by scott tygett
Does anyone recommend a "resume download" program, preferably freeware?

http://download.com.com/3000-2071-10127147.html?tag=lst-0-1

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.