PDA

View Full Version : Itīs a good day to die

Pancreas
04-21-2002, 04:09 AM
http://www.soportalia.com/pancreas/Assets/Images/galeria_misc/knight.jpg

I had this scene in my "things to do" for a long time, but i didnīt get the right face expression, till yesterday i saw Roundeyeīs drawing at this forum and i got the light! This is Roundeyeīs thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5916)

Negos
04-21-2002, 05:27 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: Wow, amazing. Good work. I think there is something wrong with the reflections of the steel. I don't know what it is.

Sorry for my English.

popnGEAR
04-21-2002, 06:02 AM
Everything looks good to me, no crits here. Just a question, is the background a painting, 3d, or a blurred out still from Braveheart :) .

sherban
04-21-2002, 06:24 AM
The skin feels to me a bit too glossy and too specular.
As opposed to the metal which isn't specular enough.

Also, maybe have the eyes smaller (like half-size). More like in Roundeye's sketch. IMHO that'll go nicer.

Also some of the clouds in the BG are quite sharp while the rest of the image suggests they should be out of focus.
There's also a blurry patch of grass between 2 shaper patches. That looks a bit odd too.

Other than that you've got a great image.

Great character. Great detail. :thumbsup:

Damien B
04-21-2002, 09:37 AM
cool render is that braveheart in the back ground I can't
tell if that is (edit copy paste) you are crazy:eek:

tutu
04-21-2002, 10:19 AM
very nice.I like this character.it looks like the role who is the BRITISH king in a film.:-)
a little question:why the whisker is too glossy,I think it ought to
be different with the skin on the face:-)

Pancreas
04-22-2002, 03:25 AM
(at the top of the thread, old image here (http://www.soportalia.com/pancreas/Assets/Images/galeria_misc/knight2.jpg) )

Thanks very much for your comments. Iīve fixed the little things youīve pointed: blurred the clouds of the sky, removed the blurry patched grass, reduced the glossiness of the skin and added more reflection, specular and a little glow to the armour.

The background has a little of everything: as youīve said a part is from Braveheartīs screenshots (the folks behind the spear, some parts of the ground, the left side of the image, and the helmet guy of the right, actually he is the Britainīs king of the movie), I added a pair of horses and some shields to the braveheartsīs extras. Other parts are painted in photoshop (the cavalry and a few of spears), the grass itīs taken from another render (tests with shag hair), and the sky are parts of photographs and the smoke added in photoshop.

alfred_ding
04-22-2002, 01:13 PM
O, cool cool cool cool cool :eek:

i2345679
04-22-2002, 01:26 PM
Agree!!!

AriTibbs
04-22-2002, 08:50 PM
My only critique would be about the face. The skin is getting there, but you still need to break up the specularity a bit. The bridge of the nose and cheekbones still show a highlight that would be unnatural on such a hot day unless he was profusely sweating...and even then there still wouldn't be a solid specular highlight. Try working with texporter or any other texmapping plugin and build a varied specular, bump, and diffuse maps to better illustrate the oilyness and elasticity of skin.

In relation to the lighting, I think you need to put some caustic highlights in the area of the face where it is being shaded. With all that highly polished metal, some of the light striking it would reflect back under the helmet into the shadow area.

Finally, I'd make the pupil less dialated...its too bright to be that big. In that kind of brightness, his pupil would be no bigger than a small speck of black.

Other than that it seems to be coming along nicely.

Raul-Reznek
04-22-2002, 09:53 PM
This is the DEFINITION of COOOOOOOLLLLL!!!

Is the backg. 2d or 3d?

leigh
04-22-2002, 09:55 PM
AriTibbs - now THAT'S some awesome constructive criticism ;) Especially the bit about the size of the pupil - a subtle but brilliant detail :)
I'm not so sure about caustics though - I don't think the metal is reflective enough to throw caustics around...
I agree that there is a problem with the specularity - he looks a wee bit plasticky. The specularity on the lips should be a bit glossier than the rest of the face too. And the crease where the nose meets the cheek should be have lower spec than the cheek because the skin is usually duller and rougher there.
That piece of gold fabric (is it fabric?) on the side of the breastplate also looks a bit strange... It doesn't really look solid enough :shrug:
The bump map on the nose is a also cool detail, but a bit big, I think.

But apart from all that, he is really really cool!! :thumbsup:
Very good work so far
:D

sherban
04-23-2002, 01:58 AM
sky's still too sharp. Look how blurry the people at the end of the line are. Sky should be at least that blurry. All over!

Metal could use less diffuse and more speculars/reflections.

Skin: I'm with AriTibbs and Leigh.

Pancreas
04-27-2002, 12:17 AM
(at the top of the thread)

Wosh, with these critics and comments, if i donīt achieve a good image iīll quit! Thanks very much!:thumbsup:

Iīve blurred more the sky (Sherban itīs difficult for me to loose all the details iīve painted by hand), reduced the pupils (Aritibs youīve got a bulleye there!), reduced the skin specularity, the armour is shinnier, more reflecting and changed a little the beard.
Leigh, the piece of fabric should be silk (a daintly garment from his wife). I reduced the bumps nose too.

draxxuss
04-27-2002, 02:57 AM
I'm going to make a comment on the actual pose of the character. It is very difficult to have your arm holding a pike/lance/spear so high and close to your chest. I realize it might have been the only way to show your hand in the shot seeing as you have such a tight closeup on the main character, however, if it was 1 fist width away from the character, it might read a bit better and look alot more comfortable.

As far as the pupil issue goes... I would leave it. I know how large pupils get. Just recently I had to get my eyes tested ( new glasses) and there was this crazy glaucoma test where they used a topical anhisthetic and some fluid that dialated your eyes. I went to the restroom while I waited for the effects of this crazy stuff to wear off and ... shaboing!!... I hardly had any colur in my eyes. I think the anount of black shown in the pic is good. Besides, even though is is bright out.. he IS wearing a visor.

jesterman
04-27-2002, 10:52 AM
Just wondering, how did you do that background?

Jed
04-27-2002, 01:37 PM
I totally love it dude, this is so cool.

My only crit would be the bump map on his chest plate. It looks like you've just thrown a planar uvw map on it. Maybe you should try and modify the texture so that it follows the edge of the plate, especially under the chin.

Otherwise it's getting real nice. Keep it up.

Pancreas
04-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Update
(at the top of the thread, overwritting the old one)

Well, the new changes are: the bump map of the breastplate itīs redisegned, (thanks Jed, you were right, it was just a planar map), and iīve moved the hand and the spear just a little to the left. Draxxuss, youīve got the point, the spear was there just for composition reasons, although it was physically impossible to, unless the horse the knight is ridding was a merry-go-round one
:p . But if the spear is too far away from the face the left side of the image wouldnīt seem "deep" enough, the army would look smaller, i think. About the pupils, yes, heīs wearing a visor, but i like more these eyes, they look more "real".
Jesterman the background itīs 3d-2d, photoshoped all the way.

The first image i posted is here (http://www.soportalia.com/pancreas/Assets/Images/galeria_misc/knight2.jpg), i hope you can see any improvement...:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.