PDA

View Full Version : Texturing Particles from Surface

andrebranco
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi,

I'm having some problems finding a way to have a group of particles making an image all together...

I have a Nurbs Plane that I emit the particles from. And I'd like to have kinda like an image mapped onto those particles.

I can get the image/texture pp - per particle. But that's not what I'm looking for. I all the particles to share the same big image, kind of like a mosaic.

Would be much appreciated if someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers :)

untelon
05-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Hello Andre. I am not sure I understand you but it sounds like you want each particle to have a tile of an image, they would move around, and form a final picture... am I correct? If this is the case there are a few ways of accomplishing this. Off the top of my head I could think of some expressions where you tie a poly face to a particleId, but it also depends on how many tiles are we talking about (if tiles is what you want).

You could create a plane with 100 faces and apply your image to it. Extract the faces so you have 100 tiles. Create a particle grid of 100 particles and instance the 100 faces to the particle system. The order in which you instance them is important as they would need to create a final image. You woould then create a custom per particle attribute named something like "indexPP" with the following runtime expression: "indexPP=particleId". In the instancer section of your particle shape node connect the object index to the "indexPP" attribute.

Ok, so now you should have 100 particles, each instancing one of the 100 faces, hopefully in the right order. You then duplicate the particle shape node, name it something like "EndingPosition". Goal your original particle shape to the duplicated one and keyframe the goal value.

The result should be 100 little tiles that can be moved around with any field (like turbulance) etc., which at one point (when you increase the goal) all flok to the location of the target particles to form a final image. I hope this helps... I am not sure I addressed your question. Good luck.

PS: You might want to use goalPP to get more interesting results.
PPS: Rotation values would have to be manually addressed in the instancer node.

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2008, 01:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.