PDA

View Full Version : Silent but Deadly.....

MrHappy
05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/299312_1210024812/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/299312_1210024812/1024bound)Enjoy

DrZerg
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Nice idea here man! ;) I think this is best so far.

MrHappy
05-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it

spiralof5
05-07-2008, 07:12 PM
enjoyed! Awsome idea. Best so far.

FrizzleFry0
05-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Haha very cool image! This is probably the most original and unique one I've seen so far! :)

alienpioneer
05-17-2008, 03:01 PM
What a stupidity.....No offence, but i found no art in such a mess...

MrHappy
05-17-2008, 10:03 PM
FrizzleFry0 and Spiralof5, thank you very much for your kind words. I am very glad you both enjoyed my work.

Alienpioneer, thank you also for your opinion. It is understandable that the style of my work is not to everyone's tastes, such is life. However, it would have been far more useful to me as an artist had you offered up some kind of critique as to what exactly it was you disliked about the image. It was intended as a bit of fun contemporary design for everyone whom viewed it, not a modern day Mona Lisa made of balls :)

The positive responses it has been getting so far have made me very happy in that I achieved my goal of bringing a smile to at least one person's face through my work. However, if you could think of how I could improve it, I am open to constructive criticism. This will help me to grow as an artist.

Once again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to view, and to those whom have commented upon my work.

Samione
05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't listen to that guy Mr Happy, atleast you've used your head to think instead of using the software to do it for you. Just because you haven't added a thousand random brushes, glows and swirls doesn't make this peice any lesser. This is definitely one of the more interesting pieces of the competition so far. Well done for not thinking design and 3d means pissing a whole load of random photoshop effects over a render:)

MrHappy
05-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Thank you very much Samione

alienpioneer
05-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Anyone can do a bunch of balls calling that moden art, than doing a modern Mona Lisa.It just takes more time , talent and dedication....It's just me not understanding "modern art", but hey there are a lot who loves it so ....(Like in those situations when everybody likes smth and some wierd guy says i don't ...well, i'm that guy in this case )

Samione
05-18-2008, 06:16 PM
You sound pretty ignorant to be honest, if you think it's just a bunch of balls. When you look at most CG and most of the entries they all look very similar, atleast Mr Happy seems he has thought outside the box. If you think the only form of valid art is turn of the century oil paintings, photorealistic renders and the mona lisa, then I feel sorry for you. Then again I guess it's all subjective, I for one value ideas and creativity higher than something that has taken a long time to do. I definitely engage with it more. It's much harder to create an alternate reality that is your own and that is good and that people engage with.

MrHappy
05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Samione, thank you once again for your kind words.

alienpioneer
05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Samione, i respect your opinion and i can't say that you're wrong.Everybody has his/her scale of values...It's just my opinion, it souldn't be an offence to anybody...I prefer hard work and knoledge...

Samione
05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Fair enough. Seems a little odd to me. Especially as you quote da vinci, one of the most free thinking and creative minds of the last millenium.

MrHappy
05-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Alienpioneer, as you have stated that you "prefer hard work and knoledge" i was wondering...
Firstly, what do you class as hard work and knowledge?
Secondly, do you know how I made this image?

I look forward to your reply :)

GusEco
05-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Very original idea and a simple work, makes me love it!

Every single one of these smilies (balls) has a different character to show through the emotional face you gave them!

About some comments i 've read in here, talking about NO art, i have to say that ART it's not only a painting or a statue, art is every good idea, simple (as that one) or not!

Well done MrHappy!

alienpioneer
05-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I will end this as i started...i saw at a modern art galery some dog sh*t sculpted and some shapes.It's price was 1500 euro...And if you would read smth from da Vinci philosophy Simione, you wouldn't be so acid to defend a conational...All i had done is to express my opinion, i don't want an endless ideologic conflict.I am sorry if i have ofended anyone and i wish you all the best MrHappy...and if you won't win something from this competition, than is no justice on this planet, because you have a lot of adepts :buttrock:

Samione
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Just a bit of debate, calm down. Sometimes it's interesting to have a difference in opinion :)

eonridr
05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
hi guys. just to give a very neutral comment, i think this is still good art. As Myhappy has taken it very well, asking for some constructive comments. i think alien just meant to express his criticism that its not up to his expectations or something. Though it may sound too harsh at first, he has also apologised to it which is good. :) its good to take a step back sometimes.

yup. as for my opinions mrhappy, i think ur idea is not bad, but i think a more variety of design elements may make this piece more interesting and improve on its aesthetic composition. i think u can try a very dramatic perspective point of view. as of now it still looks like a sketch to me ( mayb thats what you want?) if i were you i would plunder this idea in my head alot more to push this further. good luck!

MrHappy
05-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Hello eonridr, thank you for taking the time to critique my work. For the purposes of this contest the image is going to remain as is, however I will take on board your suggestions if I make any more "ball" pictures. My intent for this piece was to create an image that looked like someone had scribbled little faces onto a pile of balls to bring life into otherwise inanimate objects. I arranged the piece like this to create a claustrophobic atmosphere, like being stuck with a whole bunch of people in a lift or subway train thats packed to bursting point.

I don't think I am totally finished with the little scribble headded ball guys yet though, and your suggestions have certainly got my brain ticking over. So once more, thank you.

GusEco, thank you very much.

Alienpioneer, thank you also for sharing your opinions.

LanierCreations
05-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi, your work is very nice. Did you illustrate these images also. http://bebz.deviantart.com/store/

MrHappy
05-27-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm glad you like it package 17 :). Erm, no... these are not my images :) Cheers for the link though, they are pretty cool.

Naliorf
05-27-2008, 09:30 PM
The colours are very neutral and has no life. The balls themselves other than the black "marker" like outlined drawings on them have no character no life in them or body language.

The idea is good, but there could have been more work done on the execution.
A couple of suggestions:
- Give the balls each their own personality in terms of shape instead of all being perfect circles with drawn faces.
- perhaps add more umph! on the yellow ball farting.
- Direction.. Maybe -- It is supposed to be "Silent but deadly", then that means that the other balls are supposed to be looking around for the one who did it and then change the yellow ball to same colour as others to blend in to the picture and then giving it the only different facial expression... that way the viewer will maybe participate in the "search"
- Add more depth. Could've played a bit more on the location of the balls as they are in relation to the camera. Depth of field or just photoshop it.
- maybe establish somekind of an environment for them... maybe they are in a wooden box or some large table etc.
- Utilize the "tools" that you have and use them to improve the piece rather than just making circles and drawing on them and done...

Again I can see potential in this... I just think the execution should have been a lot better and more thought out rather than just doing the obvious.

Thanks

MrHappy
05-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Hello Cbsee, thank you for taking the time to respond to my work. I would like to clarify a few things for you as to why I designed the image the way I did.

Firstly, the initial inspiration I had for the work came from seeing a box crammed full of multi-coloured childrens plastic balls (the kind you would find in a ball pit in a play area). When I saw them I thought "I wonder what it would be like if they were alive?" This led to my remembering being stuck on a packed underground train in London and how horrible an experience it was. I then got to thinking what could make it worse...

In order for me to illustrate my idea properly, I made the image look as much as possible as if someone had drawn faces on a bunch of balls. Had I changed the shape of the balls to give them an individual character, It would have gone against my intent to recreate my vision.

Also, had I given them bodies with which to provide body language etc, It would have lost its design based nature, and instead have become a normal 3d illustration.

I had experimented with the fart, and this was the best result I had from numerous attempts. It was difficult to find the right blend of subtlty and style so it would fit into the scene.

I had also considered a "Where's Wally" kind of search to the picture, however even this uses colour to differentiate Wally from the rest. I wanted this picture to be more obvious to the viewer than a Wally type piece as good design is supposed to get the idea across as quickly as possible. This was why most of the balls are very neutral in colour, with the farting one being more vivid.

In order to help this as well, I have used very subtle blurring on the balls the further away from the farting one you get. Again, I had experimented with stronger blurring and shading, but this led to a less claustrophobic feel. The depth was to be kept to a minimum as they were all crammed together.

I had also thought about making an environment for the balls. However, I decided to leave out the environment so as to allow the viewer to interpret the environment however they wished. Everyone has at some point been stuck in a similar experience, so to me forcing the image into one particular environment (for example a box) would detract from overall viewer experience. The borders of the image as a boundary in itself was the most suitable choice for what I had in mind.

With regard to the use of tools, I could easily have gone down the same tried and tested paths I am used to, or given in to temptation and added tons and tons of extra unnecessary detailing. However, I am a believer that in design less is often more, so forced myself not to add anything that detracted from, or didn't actually add substance to, the concept. I was also using the piece as a way to test out a new workflow for personally creating illustrations. Further development of this workflow can be seen in my other entry "Good Intentions".

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to give such an in depth critique of my work. I hope this clarifies my reasoning in my decision making :). Cheers.

horheCG
06-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Very nice Christopher, very nice! It certailny put a smile on my face :cool::cool:

MrHappy
06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Thank you very much horheCG :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.