PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Explosion

ggaler
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I would appreciate any feedback on this short bridge explosion.

http://www.veryverysmallstudios.com/flash/BridgeExplosion/BridgeExplosion.htm

This was created in 3ds Max 2008 and I used some trucks from the De Espona collection. I am using this scene for a new tutorial that I plan to release sometime latter this week. The tutorial is focused on using reactor in conjunction with Pflow to create a lot of debris. The shot also uses MR / Final Gathering along with some comp effects.

Thanks,

SalvadorRuizJr
05-05-2008, 07:07 PM
It's cool start, but I get the sense that it feels like a miniature the way the pieces bounce off of each other like plastic parts (especially the truck). We need to get a sense of weight, which will help give it the proper sense of scale (if that makes any sense).

A good place to start would perhaps adjust how the pieces bounce off each other. Some of the larger chunks wouldn't bounce as high (or rotate as much) as they do. I know there are plenty of reference out there. Check out Die Hard 4, the sequence at the end with the F35 blowing up a freeway. I had to hand animate a lot of that stuff, with the secondary stuff being done by another artist in Houdini.

Here's a link to the shots I worked on: Die Hard 4 (http://web.mac.com/salvador.ruiz/Salvador_Ruiz_Jr/Film/Pages/Live_Free_or_Die_Hard.html)

It may not be the best reference and I had to take creative liberties to make each of the shots work in context to the sequence while doing some 'impossible' things that the director wanted.

ggaler
05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Good feedback. The reference footage I was using was coming from old films and miniatures so it probably helped bias ths shots.

Your sample footage will help (very nice btw).

TheNeverman
05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
definetly looks minature...
I think the motion should be slowed down very slightly...

Also agree there's too much spinning - some of the big pieces continue to spin after they hit the ground too which looks really wierd - I think they should 'stick' into the ground a tad and then fall or crumble a bit more upon impact

ggaler
05-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I have posted a new version of the explosion. This version is not as fancy - no sounds and limited comp. I did put the old version in this loop for comparison.

http://www.veryverysmallstudios.com/media/BridgeNewComp.mov

I altered the animation of the large spinning bridge pieces - much less to no spin now. I also added a lot of weight to the trucks.

I used two different means of doing motion blur between the two clips. In the one clip, I used the basic motion blur in MR and the other I used the After Effects plugin (ReelSmart Motion Blur). See if you can tell which one is which.

unknowngod430
05-13-2008, 03:29 PM
looks good the new one looks a bit better however it looks like a miniture still.. i think it's due to the size of the bridge particles as well as the ground texture looks too large the supports should be big peices but the road part isn't going to be able to be big chunks and be able to fly all around like you have it

it should just fall down with a slight jump up

ggaler
05-19-2008, 03:38 AM
Thanks Kyle - I will tweak some of the items mainly the textures and the particle sizes. At this point, I think I will keep some of the unrealistic motions on the big pieces. I tried a few test with having everything fall but it just seems boring. I like the flipping of the trucks. Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2008, 03:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.