PDA

View Full Version : New finalDOF Video Demo

candicekulacz
05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
See finalDOF 1.5 in Action!

In this live recording session, anyone can see and learn how to work with finalDOF. The video clearly demonstrates how take advantage of finalDOF's capabilities.

Click on the image below to go to the video:

http://cebasusa.com/m_o_v_e_e/finalDOF/finalDOF_LargeNewsImage.jpg (http://cebasusa.com/m_o_v_e_e/finalDOF/finalDOF.html)

Breinmeester
05-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I noticed the particles motion blur makes straight trails instead of curved. I would also like to see how the system handles shadows on motionblurred objects. For instance if we would add a light to the example scene of the motionblurred propellor behind the gate. How would it handle shadows of the gate on the propellor?

theotheo
05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Turn it into a plugin for fusion/nuke/afx and it will reach a much broader audience, having this tool inside 3dsmax just doesnt make sense. As its still a 2d trick.

But it still looks quite impressive.

-theo

Michael-McCarthy
05-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Hello Breinmeester,

Both Mblur shadows and curved particle blur in 3dsmax are effects that need 3d motion blur. finalMblur does stretchss the boundaries of what can be done very fast in 2.5D but there are surely things that you must have real 3d mblur for.

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

Michael-McCarthy
05-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Turn it into a plugin for fusion/nuke/afx and it will reach a much broader audience, having this tool inside 3dsmax just doesnt make sense. As its still a 2d trick.

But it still looks quite impressive.

-theo

Hello Theo.

Good idea. We are looking into this or course. Right now however we need to get a lot of info directly from the render (to do what finalDOF and finalMblur do) that is hard to get saved out to a file for post work. Also from the DOF side many architects like to do their work "in camera" right in max. It makes for an easy workflow.

If we can come up with some good ways to do what we want in fusion/AFX we surely will in the future. Maybe I can get some replies from others that would like to see this too?

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

biliousfrog
05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
The reason that many architects prefer to do everything within Max is because they are architects desperately trying to cash-in on visualisation but don't understand basic 3d production workflow. It's amazing how many architects do all their visualisation in house yet treat it more like a technical exercise than a marketing opportunity...and then claim that arch-viz doesn't work:rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic...

I agree that DOF within a 3d app can sometimes give nicer results but for production purposes is just doesn't make sense to spend ages fine tuning DOF when it can be done much faster and without the commitment within a compositing package. It only takes the client to say, " that bit looks a bit blury" and you have to adjust the settings and re-render. If it's done in post you just tweak the blur amount and you're done.

Reelsmart uses motion vectors for motion blur in post, it works brilliantly, even Adobe's standard Lens Blur works quite well and there are many 3rd party alternatives.

Michael-McCarthy
05-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Hello Steve,

I agree that doing Mblur and DOF in post is a good workflow too, and there are many good tools to do this.

If you take a look at the video however, you will see that the tweaking you are talking about can be done on the fly and extremely quickly (real-time in many cases) in 3ds Max with finalDOF/Mblur. It is nice to have this speed, interactivity, and workflow right in max.

Also many of the effects done with finalDOF/Mblur can not be done in post at all (or without a very heavy post setup) and that is because we are getting lots of information direct form the renderer.

That being said, I guess you are more of a post guy. Would you like to see finalDOF for your post application?

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

biliousfrog
05-06-2008, 01:15 PM
That being said, I guess you are more of a post guy. Would you like to see finalDOF for your post application?

Yes please...especially as I don't use Max :D

I tried watching the video but I'm experiencing internet problems, although I got the basics I think. It does look real nice and I can understand the reasons behind keeping it within Max, especially as there's so many other blur filters for compositing apps...but, it would be nice, to have a single plugin for DOF and motion blur within the compositing environment as currently I need to use both Reelsmart and Frishluft within AE.

For still images, I'm sure that using the application within Max will yield great results but for animation, when post becomes much more important, a slightly reduced quality would probably not be noticed so much. So maybe a fully featured Max plugin for stills and a lesser featured post plugin for when versatility is more important....if it's possible to have quality and versatility, even better!

theotheo
05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
If you guys can get the g-buffer data out of max, or get autodesk to describe how the gbuffer layers you're using is buildt, maybe people could write shaders that can output these to make it cross platform. (through mr or fr or whatever makes it easier)

There isn't a whole lot of good dof and motion blur plugins out there, especially the ones who deal with dof AND mb at the same time.

We've all made comments about it on the beta-board, or don't you guys read them?

-theo

Michael-McCarthy
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks Theo,

We surly know what needs to be done to make finalDOF a post plugin. Thanks for your suggestions :)

We are looking more to see how much interest there would be for people to have this option.

I take it you would be interested then :)

Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

Wonderer
05-07-2008, 02:24 AM
It was about time, it would be wonderful if this technique could be used in diferent renderers as well, (specially for post since nobody uses just one rendering solution), I remenber it was used a similar 2.5D technique in the matrix reloaded, wich produced good results, but ESC Entertainment buried their secrets with them after.
Reelsmart motion blur is good, but full of artifacts (mostly in intersecting objects). Current Dof is quite useless in post, there´s no way you make quality dof with z depth map alone at higher DOF settings.

There is very few options for post DOF and motion blur out in the market, if you make it work with multiple renderers and After Effects, I will definelly buy it.:thumbsup:

bardur
05-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I love the way FinalDOF does the effects.. and namely how interactive it is in MAX to get nice and quick results.. having said that - i do feel - and have always felt that this plugin ought somehow be a plugin for post.. Fusion/after effects and so forth..
im very interested in such a product ;)...

Kel Solaar
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

Hell Yeah!

ambient-whisper
05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
im not a max guy but something that plagues many applications is when dealing with motion blur for objects with morph targets. its especially true when you animate in one package and bring in that data to another package for rendering. if you bring in motion pointclouds which behave as a morph displacement for an object over time then most applications wont render motionblur for those objects. i would love to see how this type of stuff is handled by final dof.

perhaps others production oriented people might want to know.

Michael-McCarthy
05-08-2008, 12:16 PM
im not a max guy but something that plagues many applications is when dealing with motion blur for objects with morph targets. its especially true when you animate in one package and bring in that data to another package for rendering. if you bring in motion pointclouds which behave as a morph displacement for an object over time then most applications wont render motionblur for those objects. i would love to see how this type of stuff is handled by final dof.

perhaps others production oriented people might want to know.

finalMblur works well with Morph targets etc. Ill provide a quick example soon :)

Thanks
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

Michael-McCarthy
05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
OK here is a quick video demo using finalMblur with Morph targets.

Click the image to watch the video
http://cebasusa.com/m_o_v_e_e/finalDOFMorph/finalDOFMorph.jpg (http://cebasusa.com/m_o_v_e_e/finalDOFMorph/finalDOFMorph.html)

finalDOF works well with morphing or deforming meshes. I'm not sure about your specific production scene, importing point clouds from other apps. But if you can morph them with 3dsmax Morpher then it should be all set.

Thanks a bunch
Michael McCarthy
cebas USA

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.