PDA

View Full Version : Rigid Displacements

JustLearning
05-05-2008, 01:35 AM
I have some displacement maps set up on an object or 2 in my scene.

I guess my question in general is, is there a way to have a rigid body simulation that has the displaced geometry interacting with eachother instead of just the lower resolution geometry... since obviously the lower resolution geometry doesnt interact correctly.

JustLearning
05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
really... no one has any input on this whatsoever? any info at all would be helpful

acidream
05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
im not sure of the topology of your displaced surfaces, but this heres an idea:

You can use the convert displacement to polygons to create an object that you can use as the collision object. Normally the convert displacement to polygons makes an incredibly nasty surface, but if you turn off the "feature displacement" option then it will only displace the vertices that exist on your surface, so you'll end up with a cleaner surface. It kinda depends on what your working with here. If your surface has enough subdivisions then the converted object will probably match the displaced surface enough to pass. You can then make the converted object your rigid body, and parent the original surface to that one.

popflier
05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
You can use the convert displacement to polygons to create an object that you can use as the collision object.

That was the only idea that I had too. However, if you are creating your displacements in Zbrush or Mudbox then export the obj of your next highest level (highest level may just add more unnecesary time to your calculations) and use that as your rigid body. I don't know what your scene is setup like (i.e. how many rigid bodies, instanced geometry, are you building something like a pile of rocks or does it all interact in your final render, etc...) However, this could work fine.

If you find that the next highest level doesn't give you the detail that you need that is on the highest level of your displacement then export that out and use it as your rigid body. This will add more calculation time that is for sure. Maya's rigid body system takes forever and a day to calculate so if your scene is simple this should get you the result you want, but be prepared to wait a while for it to calculate.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.