PDA

View Full Version : No news from Wacom

joeparis
05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not quite sure where to post this but.... I assume most Painter users are intimitely connected to their tablets so..... as someone who keeps an eye on the latest news/updates on the Wacom forum, what's going on!!? It has been down for at least three weeks. Does anyone have any clue about when it will be up again? Or what's up?

Jinbrown
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Joe,

Have you tried giving Wacom a call to ask? That's what I'd do.

I wasn't aware of a Wacom forum, and can't find any info on the Wacom America site.

Can you provide the URL?

Thanks!

#

joeparis
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi Jin,

I didn't realise there wasn't US Wacom forum? Europe is here:
http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/default.asp?lang=uk
But of course it's down at the moment.

I may give them a call. I enjoyed reading the latest comments, good and bad, about the two Cintiqs as I'm considering buying one. It seems a little unusual for a busy forum to be down for the best part of a month.

Jinbrown
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the link, Joe.

I'll bookmark it and try to remember to check it now and then to see if it's up and running again.

It would be nice if there was a Wacom forum for Wacom America, too.

#

joeparis
05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
An e-mail from Wacom informed me that they cannot tell me when it will be back up. I don't know whether that means they don't know or won't tell me.

Improv
05-08-2008, 07:28 PM
An e-mail from Wacom informed me that they cannot tell me when it will be back up. I don't know whether that means they don't know or won't tell me.

If you go to the site here:

http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/default.asp?lang=uk

it says:" Due to maintenance work the Wacom Forum remains closed
and will re-open in the next days. "

Just before they closed the site there was quite a bit of criticism about the Cintiq 12WX, so it does make me wonder a bit exactly why the site was closed. Site maintenance or sensitive to criticism-you decide! :-)

joeparis
05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Indeed. I'm assuming technical problems with forums can be overcome in days or perhaps a week or so if it's server related. The longer it's down the more "curious" it becomes. I found the discussion there on the 12WX very helpful - as I do here - and have held off buying until more opinions are gathered.

It would be a tough call though for Wacom because I'm more likely to plump for the bigger Cintiq if the 12WX is having teething problems. But I may be assuming too much and could easily be a massive technical problem.

Improv
05-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Indeed. I'm assuming technical problems with forums can be overcome in days or perhaps a week or so if it's server related.

Wonder if they ever heard the word 'backup'? :-)

I find it hard to believe that a commercial web site would not be backed up on a regular basis. And if it was, it could be restored in mere hours, even if new server hardware was needed.

"The cat ate my website! Honest! " :-)

The longer it's down the more "curious" it becomes. I found the discussion there on the 12WX very helpful - as I do here - and have held off buying until more opinions are gathered.

Indeed, I'm sure that those comments gave many cause to pause.

It would be a tough call though for Wacom because I'm more likely to plump for the bigger Cintiq if the 12WX is having teething problems. But I may be assuming too much and could easily be a massive technical problem.

The 12 WX isn't such a bargain if it is having problems, and it isn't so portable with all those wires and cables! So spending more for a 21" Cintiq would (should?) give you a good working tablet screen.

Sometimes the best strategy for users is to just do nothing and wait.

ravenger373
05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
i have recently bought the cintiq 12WX and so far the only problems i have come across are the slight jittering that occurs on both sides of the screen, this only happans if you put your cursor around 5mm from the edge of the screen, and when i'm drawing i dont come near those edges so i'm not bothered by it. but i have heard that it can get worse over time, where it occurs over the entire screen. not sure if this is a common problem though,it also tends to heat up quite a bit if its used alot. and when its in your lap you end up getting sweaty hands and legs rather fast.

but all in all the cintiq is one of the best purchases i have made. i love the freedom of working directly on screen.
this is a personal preference though. i am not bothered by the issue's i mentioned above all that much so for me its a really usefull tool.
just my 2 cents

Joebount
06-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I just don't get those guys, seriously.
I love my wacom and have been using these tablets for years now. The product itself is such a great piece of hardware, but oh boy, I have never seen moer lunatic drivers for anything else.

I simply love when my wacom stop working after 3 months for no reason (Pc didn't change a bit, I just turn it down and restarted the next day). I also love when the pen stop working as a pen and you have to unplug and plug it back (official wacom's answer, bravo guys, bravo ...).

But the thing I love the most is that I have never seen them saying that their drivers are faulty, but always Windows, Usb, Color of your wallpaper, but oh god, NEVER THEIR $%^& DRIVERS !

They have screwed one full month of work (sorry guys, can't paint and sculpt with mouse and going under my desk every 30 seconds is not an option) and I so would like to speak directly with their software engineer to tell him all the good I think about their drivers. (weirdly enough, lesser famous tablets brands don't have this kind of issues)

PO.ed Joe

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2008, 01:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.